My TV makes a humming noise...HELP!!

corey d

STOLE IT
Established Member
Its driving me nuts. I have a panasonic plasma tv, with a pioneer elite AV reciever, and im using a set of bose acoustimass 15 surround sound speakers. The tv and reciever are fairly new, the speakers are several years old. My system constantly has a background humm. I just started noticing this recently, and i never changed anything. The only time it stop is in between commercial when the screen goes completely black for a second. Any time there are any kinds of graphics on the screen it seems worse. Anyone have any idea what i can do to make it stop?

svtaddict

Established Member
make sure your "cable" box volume is all the way up. again i say the cable box volume not the tv volume. if this is the case you may be amplifying low audio signal too much causing distortion. another thing is you make have the contrast or brightness up too high. sometimes my pioneer tv makes humming noise on an all white screen like its too bright for the screen.

svtaddict

Established Member
could also be your power oultets receiving interference from say a microwave or treadmill. it may sound weird but anything that makes a magnetic field of some sort. i.e. motors try a nice surge protector the another thing is you may have an video a/v or component cable conected to an audio output somewhere. if all else fails then it could be bad circuitry in the tv. good luck

BlackOutUT

Established Member
aren't some plasmas known to do this? When I was looking into them this seemed to be a known problem with some models.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Some Plasmas do have a buzz sound but not a hum. humming usually audio interference or a power interference, such as a ground loop or over powering a audio source

corey d

STOLE IT
Established Member
Some Plasmas do have a buzz sound but not a hum. humming usually audio interference or a power interference, such as a ground loop or over powering a audio source

Its a buzz.

So its a electrical hum from the tv or coming from the speakers?

Its coming from the TV.

How do you have the audio running to the receiver, HDMI? Have you tried a new cable?...

Yeah, HDMI. Its a monster cable, and its not even 2 years old. I wouldnt think it would go bad, or do they?

Thanks everybody for the ideas. Ill try some of them.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
It's weird tho that it stops when video stops.

May want to try a ground isolator plug. Let you plug in grounded cord but doesn't ground it. Could be a loose ground in the house some where causing it.

I've seen it where when people turn on and off ceiling fans causes tv picture to go black for a second or two.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Its a buzz.

Its coming from the TV.

Yeah, HDMI. Its a monster cable, and its not even 2 years old. I wouldnt think it would go bad, or do they?

Thanks everybody for the ideas. Ill try some of them.

Monster Cable = 5$ cable. Just go grab a cheap cable and swap it, you're not going to notice the difference regardless of what the people at Best Buy tell you. It's a cheap solution to trouble shooting your issue. If it doesn't fix it then return it.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
could also be your power oultets receiving interference from say a microwave or treadmill. it may sound weird but anything that makes a magnetic field of some sort. i.e. motors try a nice surge protector the another thing is you may have an video a/v or component cable conected to an audio output somewhere. if all else fails then it could be bad circuitry in the tv. good luck

My plasma used to hum and it was because I had a CFL bulb on a dimmer switch on the same curcuit.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
power supply likely needs replaced.

it buzzes when there is a picture because there is an electrical draw. this draw significantly drops when it is a black picture which is using little energy to create.

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
My samsung plasma has a buzz but its nothing at regular volume doesnt cover up. I wouldnt be to worried about it, Unless its so loud you cant cover it up

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Its driving me nuts. I have a panasonic plasma tv, with a pioneer elite AV reciever, and im using a set of bose acoustimass 15 surround sound speakers. The tv and reciever are fairly new, the speakers are several years old. My system constantly has a background humm. I just started noticing this recently, and i never changed anything. The only time it stop is in between commercial when the screen goes completely black for a second. Any time there are any kinds of graphics on the screen it seems worse. Anyone have any idea what i can do to make it stop?

I have the same type of TV and it had the same problem. I had it fixed under warranty.

If you're looking at the back of the TV the noise should be coming from the upper right corner. If you take the back panel you'll see a copper coil in the spot where the noise is coming from, that is the noise source. The glue that holds the copper coils together breaks down and the coils start to rub and hum.

You can either replace the entire board that coil is on or you can try the home brew fix the repair guy told me about. He said to try working some RVT into the coils to hold them in place.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Is the hum/buzz directional?

I had a similar problem with a Samsung plasma TV (Samsung 58" PN58B850).
The noise was only audible when I was sitting in front of the TV.
If I stood up, or moved off-center, the noise would go away.
I eventually replaced the Samsung plasma with a Panasonic plasma (Panasonic 65" TC-P65V10) as the buzzing drove me crazy. The Panasonic was fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread