My upper only 03 Cobra goes 12.2@115 on street tires...

O4COBRA

Established Member
Finally made it out to the track last night. I wasn't expecting too much seeing how my car is just a basic 2.76 upper pulley car with exhaust and intake, put down 472/502 SAE. I don't have any suspension upgrades other than 14mm lower control arm bolts and H&R sports. At the start of the night I was thinking 11.90's in my head, knowing that was a little far fetched, but a goal. First run had some good wheel hop right off the start, had to let out and get back in it, and then proceeded to miss 4th gear and go 12.77@95. Then I pulled back around to the staging area, I pull up to the water box and while I'm getting ready for the burnout, another 03/04 Cobra is racing in front of me. And he proceeds to blow up his rear end or tranny right in front of me, just what an 03 Cobra owner wants to see right? After a half hour clean up on the track, I ran a 12.8@114 with a little wheel hop a little ways from the line. How is this possible to run 19mph faster, and a similar 60' time, and be slower ET? Last run of the night I had them dial me in to 12.6 hoping to break out of course. I then put down a 12.29@115 with a 2.050 60' on the final pass with absolutely no wheel hop!!

So how did I do? Like I said I have no suspension mods other than springs and LCA bolts. The car is full weight, spare tire, 3/4 tank of gas, full interior and all, just the way I daily drive it. I'm on non DR KDW's at 40psi. I don't think the heavy TF wheels helped much either! All in all I'm pretty happy. I didn't go with sticky tires seeing how stock the suspension and the helpless IRS is. Pretty solid run I think for an upper only car on street tires @ 40psi...

[ame=http://vimeo.com/20357667]AED tuned Cobra. 12.2@115 on Vimeo[/ame]

YouTube - AED tuned Cobra goes 12.2 @ 115

5475772906_dd65ec8b52_b.jpg

5475772942_024d75c922_b.jpg

5475772970_08855af759_b.jpg

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Not too bad, but the trap speed is low. When I was at 443/444 on sumitomo radials I went 12.07@121. I think the 60' was 2.01 on that pass. What were the conditions at the track? Did you let it cool down?

Last edited:

mustang john

Established Member
Low 12s on street tires are very realistic for a pullied Cobra, i ran a string of 12.2s on my KDWs back when i was an upper only car. The sixties where in the 2.0 to 1.9 range and i was in the 115-117 mph range.... Damn that was a long time ago lol!

crystal_SVT

Established Member
Not too bad, but the trap speed is low. When I was at 443/444 on sumitomo radials I went 12.07@121. I think the 60' was 2.01 on that pass. What were the conditions at the track? Did you let it cool down?

your traps where just high imo.. 115-118 is the average for the majority of pullied cobras.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
your traps where just high imo.. 115-118 is the average for the majority of pullied cobras.

When I put the 2.76 pulley on it, it went 121 almost every pass at two different tracks. Car went 114 when it was intake and catback with no tune. I do see alot of pullied cars that go 114-116 though. It is obvious why after listening to their passes.

SvTDsG

Unported!
Established Member
Trap time and speed seems low to me, how much time do you spend in between passes. I'm a 2.80 upper car and run 11.30's @ 122-123. I know I'm in NC, but I went 12.20 @116 with a cat-back and a tire.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
Tires makes a huge difference, I can't make a good pass on street tires to save my life. Drag radials or slick will make a huge difference.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
That seems right to me depending on the DA. I went 12.1 @ 118 up here with an upper only, stock suspension, and street tires with 35psi in them on my 18inch wheels. I think running anything higher than 120mph in an upper only car is something to brag about (no sarcasm). On a good tire and with our trap speeds, mid 11's are realistic. Nice times bro!

BayareaSS

Established Member
I agree that the trap speed is way low for the power of this car. But in this area pullied cobra's usually trap 117-119 so they rarely get over 120.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I am only pushing 442rwhp and 445rwtq trapping 115. Best et has been 12.22. My driving isn't the best but hell I started off with a 12.9 and worked it down so getting better. I think I can hit 11.9 if I just can get my 60 ft down. Only cutting 1.9's.

goat-ee

Established Member
Kinda disappointed in the traps!! I can see why the e.t. is bad, sounds like pretty slow to shift, but I would think the mph should be way better. I guess that's why dynos are useless except as a tuning tool!!

O4COBRA

Established Member
Trap time and speed seems low to me, how much time do you spend in between passes. I'm a 2.80 upper car and run 11.30's @ 122-123. I know I'm in NC, but I went 12.20 @116 with a cat-back and a tire.

From everything I'm reading, with my 60' and other variables, the trap is pretty close. Between runs 1 and 2 I had about 30 minutes in between runs, most of which my car was sitting there idling. My battery is getting a little weak and I wanted to make sure I had enough juice. I ran the car just like I do on the street. I didn't make 10 different changes to my car before or during the runs like a lot of people do. This is my DD, that's how I wanted to run. What tires and suspension are you running to hit 11.30's?

I agree that the trap speed is way low for the power of this car. But in this area pullied cobra's usually trap 117-119 so they rarely get over 120.

I'm curious on your statement. You said my trap seems way low, but yet you say in this area most pullied Cobra run 1-3 MPH faster than my car? So how are mine "way" low? I would like to see a similar modded and HP car like mine, with similar tire and wheel setup hit a better time. I'm sure it can be done, but how much am I leaving on the table do you think? I didn't ice my blower, run DR's, etc...

I am only pushing 442rwhp and 445rwtq trapping 115. Best et has been 12.22. My driving isn't the best but hell I started off with a 12.9 and worked it down so getting better. I think I can hit 11.9 if I just can get my 60 ft down. Only cutting 1.9's.

What wheel and tire setup are you winning for those times? What kind of suspension mods do you have?

That's a pretty low trap for that much power and why not drop the pressure a little?:shrug:

Because I wanted to run the car as I drive it. I wanted to drive in, run the car, and drive out. This is my DD, so I wanted to run it the way I drive it every day. Seems like everyone who DD's their car out there does a bunch of BS to run a certain time, then put it back the way it was and drive it home. There was another 03/04 out there that night. He proceeded to break something because he had DR's on a stock rear end...

Kinda disappointed in the traps!! I can see why the e.t. is bad, sounds like pretty slow to shift, but I would think the mph should be way better. I guess that's why dynos are useless except as a tuning tool!!

Haha, my shifting may not be the fastest, but it's far from slow. Got any videos of your shifting? Also, how is my trap low if you ran a 12.261 @ 112.75mph? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I hope you don't think putting Dr's on stock rear end will make you break something.:dw:

I can't tell if your serious or not from your smiley lol, but while its not a 100% chance of breaking DRs are very well known to be a very bad idea on stock rears.

In the OPs defense I feel the same way he does about DRs and kept mine in the garage until the rear was upgraded since I can't afford to have my DD down from breakage.

O4COBRA

Established Member
I hope you don't think putting Dr's on stock rear end will make you break something.:dw:

Come on now, of course I know that. Okay let me be more clear, sticky tires with a hard launch on the stock IRS CAN cause the rear end to break. Is that better. I didn't realize I had to be so literal...

I can't tell if your serious or not from your smiley lol, but while its not a 100% chance of breaking DRs are very well known to be a very bad idea on stock rears.

In the OPs defense I feel the same way he does about DRs and kept mine in the garage until the rear was upgraded since I can't afford to have my DD down from breakage.

Thanks for clarifying for me. I didn't know I had to be so clear with what I thought was an obvious point I was trying to make. I thought it was common knowledge that DR's were known to be sticky, and that CAN cause the IRS to have problems. Track times aren't the goal for me and my car. Driving and enjoying it are. I just took it out to the track to see what she would do in street trim. Not let me tweak as many things as I can for one night to see what time I get, and then put it all back the way it was when I'm done trim.

Users who are viewing this thread