My UPR quadrant install

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Install the UPR Triple hook and firewall adjuster last night. The following should help those who have done it and remind those who have, the fun they had.:thumbsup:

Here's some simple directions:

1.) Make multiple copies of downloaded instructions off internet since UPR didn't send any with the products, cuss UPR
2.) Take above mentioned instructions and line your bird cage, puppy pen, or kitchen shelves as you please, your choice
3.) Search for Steeda instructions on internet
4.) Read Steeda instructions
5.) Remove drivers seat and lay a thick blanket on floor to keep the front seat bolts from gouging thru your ribs
6.) Pop the cotter pins out of both pivot sleeves, then take a large flat head screwdriver to remove stock quadrant
7.) Hit head on bottom of dash as you jerk from fear of springs flying around
8.) Place band-aid on thumb after section of skin is removed
9.) Place ~1/2" thickness of 1/2" washers on both pivot points that should have come with quadrant
10.) Install quadrant and replace cotter pins
11.) Pull plastic coupler from firewall in engine compartment
12.) Stare at it in bewilderement as you ponder WTF Ford was thinking when they over engineered that piece
13.) Use a small socket to remove the two screws holding in the industrial strength flange
14.) Pry at over engineered coupling to remove the star washer from hell on said industrial strength flange
15.) Flinch incessantily as screwdriver wisked mere millimeters by palm several times in what seems like a vain attempt to remove the star washer that is jesting your ego
16.) Laugh hysterically when the star washer finally breaks and you can remove the industrial strength flange
17.) Use some side cutters and work at snipping the plastic piece that is still attached to the clutch cable
18.) Remove rubber bushing from end of clutch cable once the last plastic piece of the coupling jigsaw is off
19.) Wonder why the metal sleeve UPR provided doesn't fit over the end of the cable
20.) Try to FORCE the metal sleeve of the hardened plastic end on the clutch cable
21.) Throw the metal sleeve across the garage and cuss UPR
22.) Test fit the naked plastic end into the firewall adjuster
23.) Take back piece off of firewall adjuster and screw it into the firewall
24.) Cuss UPR when you can't tighten the bottom screw because coil cover on the cylinder head in the way
25.) Remove coil over and finally tighten bottom screw
26.) Replace coil cover
27.) Try to screw adjuster into firewall bracket
28.) Cuss UPR for making it so long it won't fit with firewall bracket screwed in
29.) Remove screws while cussing UPR
30.) Forget that the coil cover has to be removed to get to bottom screw, cuss UPR again
31.) Remove coil cover, cuss UPR
32.) Remove bottom screw while cussing UPR
33.) Screw entire assembly together once off of firewall
34.) Realize screws will not screw in unless the adjuster is backed out, cuss UPR
35.) Try for 5 minutes to get BOTH screws in but finally give up on bottom screw, cuss UPR
36.) Slip cable thru firewall adjuster
37.) Slide back under dash to connect to quadrant
38.) Realize that it will only hook on the second hook
39.) Ponder why
40.) Remember Steeda's instructions
41.) Jack up car to loosen clutch cable from clutch fork
42.) Hook cable on third hook with adjuster screwed almost all the way in
43.) Hook cable back onto clutch fork
44.) Wonder why cable is slack
45.) Realize cable came off hook
46.) Call fiance to come out to garage to hold tension on clutch pedal
47.) Hook cable back onto clutch fork
48.) Start playing with adjusting screw while depressing clutch
49.) Re-install drivers seat and take for test drive
50.) Forgive UPR's ineptness in providing decent instructions and learn how to drive car again:p

Took ~ 2 hours from start to finish. Entire job should only take 20-30 minutes now. I will be putting on my SVO. The stiff as FOCK clutch on the Cobra feels like my Spec Stage III on my SVO, smooth as butter and nowhere near as stiff. I can't imagine what it will do on my SVO, should make the clutch SUPER LIGHT.
:thumbsup:

It's how the car SHOULD have come.

Note to UPR:
Please provide some DETAILED instructions worth more than the paper they are printed on

Last edited:

03snakerush

Established Member
Damn........That makes me nervous to even try, but I'm sure once you start there's no going back. Great instructions though Paul!:beer: :beer:

kaos

Established Member
AMEN!!! But I'm glad I didn't pay someone to do it though.

If I had to do it over again I would. I wish I would have tried taking the coil cover off. That would have made my life easier.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
:??: :??: :??: :??: :??: :??:

never relized it was that hard... but its all worth it in the end. every one ive installed the customer has loved it!:beer:

Derek:burnout:

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
I dont understand, what does this mod do for you????

My clutch (with the stock quadrant) would engage almost right off the floor. Yes it was adjusted, almost all the way out as well. With the UPR, you can set you engagement point. Mine now starts to grab just barely past the brake pedal. Makes powershifting ALOT easier. Plus it is alot smoother feeling.

Fordguy0915

Established Member
Sounds Like Fun

Great Write-Up:thumbsup:

I was thinking about doing the clutch quadrant myself until you wrote this-
Being as I am 260 pounds (Pretty sure I could get under there, Not so sure I could wedge my fat ass out) I think that I will pay someone skinny to do it.

John:p

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by Derek@AmazonRacing
ford guy.. if youve seen any pictures of me ... im not the smallest im about yor size and getting under there is not easy.

6'-2" 265 here. Taking the seat out was mandatory.:thumbsup:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Corner-Carver
6'-2" 265 here. Taking the seat out was mandatory.:thumbsup:

lol im 6'2" about 250 or so and it would help but ive done enough of them im not under there long. it hurts my back how i lay and do it but it gets done faster that way. ill have the seat all the way back and just slip under there on my back as far as i can and just work upside down.

:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, you went through a lot of steps to get to the "finished" point. Glad you like it. Another future mod to add to my list.
;-)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
corner-carver - would you recommend this kit? The UPR clutch quadrant kit (3 way adjustable) and the UPR firewall adjuster is on its way to my house now. You can make the clutch engage closer to the floor correct? Is it really that much easier to press the clutch in?

If any of you guys want pics of the install let me know and I will try to take some good ones to help with directions.

Last edited:

DSCobra01

Established Member
Pics would be great if you can manage. I'm thinking about this mod as well. Thanks:-D

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
ugh, makes me want to pay someone else to do it so I can watch the pain remotely ;p

I would have freaked out halfway through and broken something important, good job on surviving all that :rockon:

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
At the exception of UPR's business practices in the past, I DO recommend this mod. The job isn't that hard, IF YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE BEFORE HAND.

Hopefully, anyone can do the job in less than a hour based of my mistakes.:kaboom:

Can it be done without removing the seat (only four bolts), yeah, but I value my back after having installed stereo equipment for quie a few years..

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
clutch quadrant

Sounds like a great mod. I wonder why it make the clutch so much easier to push?

wuplash

Established Member
Originally posted by BuffDigits
ugh, makes me want to pay someone else to do it so I can watch the pain remotely ;p

I would have freaked out halfway through and broken something important, good job on surviving all that :rockon:

it really is not that bad once you get started into doing the project,the main problem i had was cutting that plastic clip unit off i ended up using a hacksaw.other than that part it was easy to install:)

AFJsvt

Established Member
Corner-carver,

did you install the Extreme kit or regualr non-anodized adjuster/quadrant?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Corner-Carver, I have the firewall adjuster and quadrant, in step 9 you mentioned washers, could you elaborate. 1/2" washers a 1/2" thick?????

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Go to the hardware store. The washers labeled as 1/2" should have a hole the same size as the 2 holes in the quadrant (take it along with you to be sure). Buy several, and if they have different thicknesses all labeled 1/2", buy them as well. Total should be well under a buck. Then you can mix and match thicknesses to shim the quadrant so it is inline with the cable as it comes through the firewall. If you don't shim the quadrant, and it moves ti the side, the cable will not ride in the groove properly. Then when you push in the pedal, you'll hear (and feel) a pop as the cable rides up on the lip of the quadrant, then drops down into the slot. Eventually, this will wear on the cable and it will fray, and then will break.

All of the aftermarket quadrants I have seen need to be shimmed. Lay the quadrant down on it's side, next to the stock quadrant, and look at the difference in thickness at the hole.

BTW, very nice write up corner-carver. I'm still laughing. You made my day.

Users who are viewing this thread