My WRX got some new shoes :)

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
yeah i've been in some cars with 9.5+ and they felt like a steam roller. here's my suggestion, get some good R compound tires and put them on the stockers for track days. change your diff fluid after track days too. if Suby is still using the R160 in the rear, they don't handle heat like the r180's do in the STi's. i've popped a few rear diffs on the track:nonono:

ok I will. the diff fluid needs to be changed as is. I changed it at 30K and i was planning on changing it again at 60K. i'll get ic changed before I get on the track. currently has 55K. my first time out im going to be easy on her. since its an open lapping day, i'll probably run a few laps at a time and let the car rest for 15-20 minutes in between. just for fun you know. any other suggestions? I was thinking about putting a thicker oil in her too. maybe like a 10w40. when I talked with with royal purple on the phone, they said i could safely run a 5w30 in their HPS or XPR lines, that it would be unnecessary to fun anything thicker for casual open lapping track days.

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
Looks sweet man! Telling my buddy about this thread, he just got a white 2012. Are those the tail light overlays? He was telling me something about them.

yup overlays. i had mine custom fitted by a tint shop. wouldn't recommend the precut kits on ebay/amazon etc. i bought that first and a professional tint guy could get them to fit correctly. they just didn't stretch well at all, and were not cut that well. maybe others have had better luck.

^^ that's why i suggested the stockers for track days, not sure the OP knows the Rota history.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NRSDCBt4i-U/Sb5GPOeq9dI/AAAAAAAACfY/vqjIplCfuJ4/Rota wheels.jpg
I have heard about Rota's breaking. but to be fair. they are 1/3 the price of advan's, etc. and they are wildy popular now. they are on countless cars. the more cars they are on the more stories you hear on the forums. every rim has the possibility of breaking. read this thread (post #28, about halfway down the page)
So are Rota wheels that bad? - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

bull3441

Established Member
ok I will. the diff fluid needs to be changed as is. I changed it at 30K and i was planning on changing it again at 60K. i'll get ic changed before I get on the track. currently has 55K. my first time out im going to be easy on her. since its an open lapping day, i'll probably run a few laps at a time and let the car rest for 15-20 minutes in between. just for fun you know. any other suggestions? I was thinking about putting a thicker oil in her too. maybe like a 10w40. when I talked with with royal purple on the phone, they said i could safely run a 5w30 in their HPS or XPR lines, that it would be unnecessary to fun anything thicker for casual open lapping track days.
put extra oil in. you can burn up a quart plus on track days. i used to use Mobil 15w-50 for track days. a lot of guys used to run Redline 10w-40. if you have the $ get a spare set of rotors and Hawk pads for track day use. it's a pita to always be swapping but your oem pads won't last long once heated. the Subies are fun on the track, i remember when your model came out the body roll was insane on them and pushed more than prior years.

Five-ohh-Love

Established Member
Looks awesome! Gold is the only way to go with that blue :beer:

And how are those tires? I currently have a set of the same Hankook V12s in my room waiting to get mounted.

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
let me just add... most of the time when people break their rims, its pretty rare that a wheel just falls apart at the track. usually it is is precursed with an accident, hitting a curb, just driving like a jackass.

bull3441

Established Member
i'm not sure how far you're planning to mod this car, but fwiw W/I(meth) is your friend on these cars. especially on track days. get an STi I/C, add a quality W/I kit and enjoy 50-75wtq and run cooler all day. i was a meth addict...

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
Looks awesome! Gold is the only way to go with that blue :beer:

And how are those tires? I currently have a set of the same Hankook V12s in my room waiting to get mounted.

i've only had them on the car for about 40 miles of easy driving. my buddy is the manager at discount tire and he recommended them. i'm hoping they work out good. :)

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
i'm not sure how far you're planning to mod this car, but fwiw W/I(meth) is your friend on these cars. especially on track days. get an STi I/C, add a quality W/I kit and enjoy 50-75wtq and run cooler all day. i was a meth addict...

LOL. honestly. i don't know how much i plan to mod the car. my next mod is a a downpipe/uppipe combo so I can go stage 2 on my accessport. then probably a brake upgrade. my wife is worried I will really like the track and dump all our money into the car making it accelerate faster and stop quicker LOL. I will tell you that just based on our convo on this thread that you are much more knowledgable than me, so I'll be using the advice and labor of harvey from the boostcreepltd in longmont, co for most of my mods. he's pretty famous around here for his work on imports. no matter what I want the car to be a practical daily.

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
put extra oil in. you can burn up a quart plus on track days. i used to use Mobil 15w-50 for track days. a lot of guys used to run Redline 10w-40. if you have the $ get a spare set of rotors and Hawk pads for track day use. it's a pita to always be swapping but your oem pads won't last long once heated. the Subies are fun on the track, i remember when your model came out the body roll was insane on them and pushed more than prior years.

good deal. i think I'll run 10w40 just to play it safe. as far as body roll, this is my first subie. other than my cobra, which only ever gets driven in a straight line fast, I won't have anything to compare it to, but I'm sure I can do some things to make the suspension better.

bull3441

Established Member
LOL. honestly. i don't know how much i plan to mod the car. my next mod is a a downpipe/uppipe combo so I can go stage 2 on my accessport. then probably a brake upgrade. my wife is worried I will really like the track and dump all our money into the car making it accelerate faster and stop quicker LOL. I will tell you that just based on our convo on this thread that you are much more knowledgable than me, so I'll be using the advice and labor of harvey from the boostcreepltd in longmont, co for most of my mods. he's pretty famous around here for his work on imports. no matter what I want the car to be a practical daily.
what year is your car? you should have a catless uppipe, no need to swap with the stock turbo. if you have the airpump on the car, then you're catless on the uppipe. get a down pipe that has an extra O2 bung on the mouth so you can run a wideband if you want. the Cobb downpipes had them as well as a few other brands.

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
what year is your car? you should have a catless uppipe, no need to swap with the stock turbo. if you have the airpump on the car, then you're catless on the uppipe. get a down pipe that has an extra O2 bung on the mouth so you can run a wideband if you want. the Cobb downpipes had them as well as a few other brands.

2009. i was planning on getting this downpipe
COBB Tuning Downpipe Catted Bellmouth Subaru WRX / STI 2008-2012 / Forester XT 2009-2011 / Legacy GT MT 2005-2009 at RallySportDirect.com
and this upipe:
GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Uppipe Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

well i'm hitting the sack. it was nice chatting with you Bull. if you reply I'll check it and reply in the morning.

bull3441

Established Member
i had the catless Cobb DP, great piece. flex joint up pipes leak over time. Grimmspeed makes nice parts(they are or were made by high school shop students, as the owner of Grimmspeed is/was a shop teacher fwiw) i've owned a few Grimmspeed parts and was pleased. i still feel it's a waste of $ for the uppipe on the stock turbo. the $/return isn't worth it. if you ever urpgrade the turbo or headers then do the uppipe. good luck.

Stevo151

Established Member
As much as I hate rota's those look pretty good and are a huge upgrade! But I hate rota's because there fake wheels and tend to break... At least a few of my buddies rota's have... But I do like the way the grids look

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
dont mean to throw this whole thread for a loop, but I went in to subaru today to get an oil filter. just for fun I acted interested in a 2012 sti. long story short, they said I could order a 2012 in any color or trim i wanted. i would pay invoice (would have to wait about 10 weeks for it to come in), but they would give me between 20-21K for my 09 WRX with 55K miles. i was happily surprised to say the least on their offer for the trade. i was expected no more than $15-16K. they said i could put the stock wheels back on it and it wouldnt affect the offer. i'd have to try and sell the brand new wheels i just bought, but im sure I could recover a good amount of it. i'd be looking at financing around 15K (like $225-250 per month on long term). i'm tempted to go down there tomorrow and make this happen. what do you guys think? main reason i would do this, is beacuse I have this itch about taking my wrx to some open lapping track sessions this summer (as if you couldn't tell from this thread), and the STi is basically built track ready with the better suspension and Brembo brakes, and with the factory warranty i wouldn't have to pay for anything that breaks.

Last edited:

Stevo151

Established Member
Get the 2012! Those things are bad ass and honestly that's a great deal the they gave you for trade in value

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
Get the 2012! Those things are bad ass and honestly that's a great deal the they gave you for trade in value

i'm seriously thinking about it. they only had one STi on the lot and they let me test drive it, but only under the condition that I would "get on it" because the car had 30 miles on it. i have never driven an STi before that, only my WRX. i am kinda thinking that if i could somehow do a more spirited test drive i'd be sold

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread