Mystichrome For the Masses

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
But still not cheap.

The Drive
The Drive

FollowView Profile

Ford Maverick Owner Recreates Rare Mystichrome Paint Job With Special Clear Wrap​

Story by James Gilboy • 5h ago

One of the rarest, most striking options Ford has ever offered was the Mustang's Mystichrome paint. Sold only on the 2004 model year SVT Cobra, the exclusive color-shifting paint was only applied to around 1,000 cars, and today commands big bucks on Bring a Trailer. You can't paint your car in it either, as Ford apparently won't sell it to most people. But that didn't stop one Ford Maverick hybrid owner from capturing the Mystichrome look—and doing so without begging the manufacturer.
Ford Maverick Owner Recreates Rare Mystichrome Paint Job With Special Clear Wrap
Ford Maverick Owner Recreates Rare Mystichrome Paint Job With Special Clear Wrap© Paul Montgomery
Paul Montgomery, owner of Eastside Auto Spa in Cincinnati, Ohio, told The Drive he had "always loved that [Mystichrome] color and thought it would look great on a mini truck." As mentioned above, though, obtaining it from Ford is famously tricky: All Ford Mustangs forum users say Ford requires buyers to already own a Mystichrome Mustang to buy even tiny bottles for touch-ups. So, Montgomery turned to the aftermarket, where he found an alternative that'd do the trick.
Mystichrome-like Ford Maverick Hybrid. Paul Montgomery

Montgomery got a hold of some unusual, metallic flake-studded clear bra called Stek Dynoprism, which on its own is mostly transparent. Applied to a car, however, it develops a purple tint at some angles, which looks different depending on the color of paint it's adhered to. On a white Tesla his shop worked on, it took on what Montgomery described as an "old-school hologram look," while on a blue Tesla, or even on his own Maverick, it looks like the spitting image of Ford's unobtainable Mystichrome.

Like Mystichrome though, this visual effect doesn't come cheap. Montgomery said he'd quote $8,500 retail for a wrap in this stuff. There isn't a ton to go around either, as its supplier's website says it's made in "limited production runs." Of course, if you're set on a look like this, you pretty much have to accept that you'll pay through the nose for it. The materials alone are almost inherently expensive, and that goes without mentioning the labor to install them. You can always do it yourself, but time is money, and money is for more parts in the first place, isn't it?

Ford Maverick Owner Recreates Rare Mystichrome Paint Job With Special Clear Wrap
Ford Maverick Owner Recreates Rare Mystichrome Paint Job With Special Clear Wrap© Provided by The Drive
Mystichrome-like Ford Maverick Hybrid. Paul Montgomery

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's really awesome when people mix up the Mystic and Mystichrome paints. Mystichrome is Dupont G6. It's pretty common knowledge. Though it definitely isn't cheap.

And 3M already has a wrap that's pretty close to the Mystichrome. I have some in my garage. I had club stickers made out of it and it matched the paint pretty close.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've always liked the Mystichrome better but the Mystic was more dramatic. Can get brown, yellow, green, purple out of it depending on the sun.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I like it. Very clean look. Those wheels really light it up.

4F0D81C7-EA67-4817-B027-C1B68AFFEBA5.jpeg

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I wonder what that wrap would do on yellow or red.. or silver or black ?

Users who are viewing this thread