Navigation Head unit with google maps

partzman

Established Member
I have been looking for a double din navi head unit ever since i bought my cobra. I really like the way the google maps UI works. I have done a fair amount of searching and cant seem to find any off the shelf head units that use its software. I didnt know if any of the higher end units used it or if they even offered it to the aftermarket at all.

weaselp1

Established Member
I have been looking for a double din navi head unit ever since i bought my cobra. I really like the way the google maps UI works. I have done a fair amount of searching and cant seem to find any off the shelf head units that use its software. I didnt know if any of the higher end units used it or if they even offered it to the aftermarket at all.

I went through the same process you did...what I found was there was no single turnkey solution for a double din that has google maps....you can retrofit a nexus 7 tab, you could integrate a double din with your android phone but that means you would use your data on your phone. I wish there was a good solution out there for google maps on a double din, but right now there is not.

bigmoose

Established Member
^what he said. I recommend just getting a simple single DIN radio with bluetooth. Then get yourself a high quality vehicle phone mount that can be hard wired. Then just use google maps/music from your phone.

I prefer proclipusa.com for mounts. They are pricey but very nice. A hardwired setup will run around $100 but still cheaper than a smart double DIN radio.

partzman

Established Member
^what he said. I recommend just getting a simple single DIN radio with bluetooth. Then get yourself a high quality vehicle phone mount that can be hard wired. Then just use google maps/music from your phone.

I ended up doing this with my old car and it worked okay. I work at an audi dealership and the new audi connect systems use google maps so I thought maybe the aftermarket had caught up by now.

bigmoose

Established Member
Google owns waze FYI

I love waze

When on google map some updates will be from ppl that report from waze
yeah. its good stuff. I used it on a road trip from Boston to Charlotte. it redirected me around a few accidents and every cop was reported.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Waze= Ok when you're not the 1st one up in the morning or out late and nothing's reported yet. I also hate when users see a cop in the median and only put a warning in their direction so if you aren't glancing down at the display you don't get an audible report of the bogey.

Users who are viewing this thread