Navigation now an option on the GT 500?

68Jcode

Established Member
I did a quick search here, but found nothing. I saw in an ebay posting that Ford is now offering a factory navigation system as an option, at least on the GT 500. Anyone have additional info on this? Apparently this became an available option in December.

CGoeschel

Established Member
It is an option now. You cant have the Shaker 1000 and the Navigation radio though. Its one or the other.

Cobra-O

Established Member
I have a Ford nav in my 05 Expedition. Unless it has gone through a HUGE redesign in hardware AND software, I would not get it again. It is a total POS. Make sure you use it for about an hour before you buy it. Aftermarket systems blow these away. I can explain more if you want.

Aaron

68Jcode

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I know some are better than others. We have a nav system in my wifes 2005 Toyota minivan and it works very nice. It seems like the ones used in some of the American made autos are lacking a bit. Depending on the option price, I would consider going with a new Pioneer unit or equiv...

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
68Jcode said:
Thanks for the heads-up. I know some are better than others. We have a nav system in my wifes 2005 Toyota minivan and it works very nice. It seems like the ones used in some of the American made autos are lacking a bit. Depending on the option price, I would consider going with a new Pioneer unit or equiv...
i have yet to see an impressive factory nav system compared to aftermarket. they do however integrate a lot of the vehicles system controls which i think gives them a slight advantage over aftermarket setups in that respect.

"bells and whistles" go to the aftermarket by far....

CGoeschel

Established Member
CobrafanDT said:
I have a Ford nav in my 05 Expedition. Unless it has gone through a HUGE redesign in hardware AND software, I would not get it again. It is a total POS. Make sure you use it for about an hour before you buy it. Aftermarket systems blow these away. I can explain more if you want.

Aaron

Older nav systems such as those used in the last generation Expedition in that statement used a cd based navigation system. The new one is DVD based and is much better and WAY easier to use and it features touch screen technology. It is a superior system, but because I value my music more than needing directions to go from point a to b, I chose the Shaker 1000. I dont see the GT500 and my long distance commuter to places Im not familiar with. For that I have mapquest!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CGoeschel said:
Older nav systems such as those used in the last generation Expedition in that statement used a cd based navigation system. The new one is DVD based and is much better and WAY easier to use and it features touch screen technology. It is a superior system, but because I value my music more than needing directions to go from point a to b, I chose the Shaker 1000. I dont see the GT500 and my long distance commuter to places Im not familiar with. For that I have mapquest!

Once you travel to an unfamiliar area with a competent nav system you will NEVER travel with a map EVER again!!!:read:

Cobra-O

Established Member
CGoeschel said:

The nav in the 05 expedition is a DVD based system and it is a POS. It is designed to be very minimum to keep your eyes off of it. For example, if you display a map close up, you are lucky if it tells you the name of one of the streets. Sometimes you can look at a map and not see a single street name.

bubbrubb

CGoeschel said:
It is an option now. You cant have the Shaker 1000 and the Navigation radio though. Its one or the other.
Do you know if you'd be able to wire it up to, say, a ps2 and play videos on it while the car is.. umm.. 'stopped'?
A friend of mine had a WRX with alot of money he threw at it, and one of my favorite things about that car was that he played music videos when he drove instead of just playing music (and obviously by 'drove' i meant parked in a safe and controlled environment;-) )

SteveEvo8

Established Member
Those were the days. I didn't see mention of the price of this navi, but maybe i was just too lazy to read. But if you want something like that get the pioneer AVIC-z1... And it talks to you!!! hahaha you can be like the hoffster in night rider!

Steve

MD03SVT

Established Member
Why the hell would you need a navigation system on a GT500,I just point it & press the big pedal a 1/4 mile at a time.The starting line is Always were I left it & I Always croos the finish line ahead of the other guy...:pepper:

CGoeschel

Established Member
CobrafanDT said:
The nav in the 05 expedition is a DVD based system and it is a POS. It is designed to be very minimum to keep your eyes off of it. For example, if you display a map close up, you are lucky if it tells you the name of one of the streets. Sometimes you can look at a map and not see a single street name.

Hate to say it but Ive been selling Fords a long time and the '05 Expedition navigations system uses CD's not DVD's. I agree it was a POS and diffcult to use, but the new system is way better.

bubbrubb

SteveEvo8 said:
Those were the days. I didn't see mention of the price of this navi, but maybe i was just too lazy to read. But if you want something like that get the pioneer AVIC-z1... And it talks to you!!! hahaha you can be like the hoffster in night rider!

Steve
man, what I wouldn't pay to be like the Hoff and drive around knight rider... lol actually I wouldn't pay for a AVIC-z1, those things are money and the hummer just took a big bite out of my "buying dumb shit on a rainy day" account... whoops!! :kaboom:

Dave07997S

Established Member
SteveEvo8 said:
Dave,

For 1700 i'd much rather get http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16942 and have that. Much nicer, and functional. Also it speaks to you, which is just sweet.

Steve

Only problem you would have to bone up the cash, while it is included in the car price during financing...unless you are paying cash for the car. The OEM piece isn't that bad actually...

Don't get me wrong the Pioneer unit that you showed is sweet, and was the one I was considering if I got a Shelby..

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread