NCAA Basketball Fans: Tobacco Road Rivalry

Who will win the first meeting of the season between Duke and UNC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
I am an avid Duke basketball fan and no sporting event, including the Super Bowl, is more important and exciting to me than the rivalry between Duke and UNC. Their first meeting of the year is just 4 days away and this one should be dandy. Both teams are loaded with talent and playing very good ball of late. UNC has been winning with speed, free throws, and solid post play. Duke will counter that with their trademark scrappy defense, long range shooting, and athleticism. Unfortunately for the Blue Devils, the game will be Chapel Hill, but these two teams will meet again for the regular season finale in Durham. Two teams, 17 Final Four Appearances since 1985(When NCAA Field Expanded To 64+), 5 National Championships in the same period, and separated by only 8 miles. It doesn't get much better than this!! :rockon::rockon: So who's going to win and why?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Let's go Duke! Been a huge fan for years now. Unfortunately, I think UNC will pull this one out. Hansbrough is a beast and we dont have any big guys to handle him.

If we played like we did today, we're toast. No matter what though, it should be exciting.

ghall

Established Member
Mega UNC fan here--i agree--no better rivalry in sports!!!

These are 2 VERY different teams---which one will play better against the other-----i don't know. My guess is it will be very clear very early in the game.--Look for big games from tyler Hansbrough and Dion Thompson on the UNC side. I hope everyone tanks on the Duke side....................I am just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff

stellar591

Established Member
These are 2 VERY different teams---which one will play better against the other-----i don't know. My guess is it will be very clear very early in the game.--Look for big games from tyler Hansbrough and Dion Thompson on the UNC side. I hope everyone tanks on the Duke side....................I am just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more Geoff. Two very different teams having success with different styles of play. I think most people that follow college basketball will agree that we'll be watching two top 5 teams go at it that have Final Four potential this season. Should be a great game! :banana::banana:

lthlsnke260

Established Member
Why can't I pick neither? And there is more than one rivalry on Tobacco Road.

I used to pull for Duke but my hatred for Duke is now almost equal to Carowhina.

Last edited:

stellar591

Established Member
Why can't you pick neither? Maybe b/c the only two teams involved in the game on Wednesday are Duke and UNC and unlike football, there WILL be a winner and a loser. You may not want either team to win but I promise one will. You are correct, there is more than one rivalry on Tobacco Road, but lets try to focus on the one at hand. If you'd like to bring NCState into the conversation do it another thread. This thread is about one game, and one game only.

03SonicBlur

Established Member
it really dont matter which team has the more talent here, because they always play each other close no matter the circumstances, but im goin to go with the heels on this one

xBlown04x

THE REAL ORANGECRUSH
Established Member
(As Of February 3)
School Conf. Pct. Overall Pct.
Duke 7-0 1.000 19-1 .950
North Carolina 5-1 .833 20-1 .952
Virginia Tech 5-3 .625 14-8 .636
Clemson 4-3 .571 16-5 .762
Maryland 4-3 .571 14-8 .636
NC State 3-4 .429 14-7 .667
Wake Forest 3-4 .429 13-7 .650
Boston College 3-4 .429 12-8 .600
Georgia Tech 3-4 .429 10-10 .500
Miami 2-5 .286 15-6 .714
Florida State 2-5 .286 13-9 .591
Virginia 1-6 .143 11-9 .550

Sat, Jan 12 at (1) North Carolina L 62-93
Thu, Jan 31 at (3) Duke L 72-92

Last edited:

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I freakin' hate Duke. Been a Tarheel fan since I was like three. I don't follow college b-ball that much anymore but I follow it enough to know my Heels are gonna stomp a mud hole in duke!

97riocobra2

Established Member
I Hate them both. UNC has more Walmart Fans than anyone in the country. I just hate dook because they are dirty and flop like little girls any chance they get. DOOK will win though since Lawson is hurt.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
UNC will win, just a prediction, does not matter to me who wins.

I like both teams, sooo. My team Ga Tech sucks this year, oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread