Neat idea for "battery kill switch"

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
For those with trunk mounted batteries and drag race you probably know an external kill switch is mandatory.

I was at the track last weekend and the track tech called me on it for not having a kill switch. A Ford tech was there and he came over and offered a very good suggestion. As most of you know we have that fuel cut-off switch in our trunks on the driver side. He showed me the 2 wires that control that switch and he said to wire in a "NORMALLY CLOSED SWITCH" and just mount the switch on the outside rear of the car somewhere. If for whatever reason the car has to be killed just open the switch and the car will shutoff within seconds (due to the fuel supply being cut).

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought the rule stated you had to kill the electrical system but it’s been a long time... I can see how you wouldn’t random things energized after an accident

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Dang yep... Well it sounded like a good idea

8:4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is “push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
He did say all he cared about was making sure the car was OFF. Because at first I told him I had no problem wiring in a switch off of the positive and then he told me it has to kill the car and that wouldn't kill it. He had me start my car and he killed the battery and it continued to run off of the alternator.

01yellercobra

Established Member
To do it right the switch has to disconnect the battery and the alternator. Friend of mine uses also uses it to disconnect the battery when he stores his car.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Where would I wire in my switch for the alternator? Is it the thick wire that connects to the fuse box in the engine bay?

Pantera1

Established Member
Where would I wire in my switch for the alternator? Is it the thick wire that connects to the fuse box in the engine bay?
I believe its green in color if I remember correct. Little reference wire to fuse box. Also I like the way I did my killswitch, it's fairly easy to make it look back to stock if needed
IMG_20190110_090639_283.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread