Need a little help please!!!

MLANG381

Established Member
Ok, well I Just bought an 03 Cobra and yesterday I noticed a small puddle of oil under my rear end:mj: Has anyone changed the fluid and seal themselves? how labor intensive is it? and I had a shop quote me $455.00 to do the work with me providing the gear oil, is this too much? what gear oil do you guys recommend?
Thanks.

supman

Established Member
There is no seal/gasket. Only silicone in a groove which runs the face of the housing. Are you sure leak is not from drain plug?

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
Yeah i have had this issue twice. I had resealed 2 years ago then just last week. But last week i invested in a LPW differential cover. I hope it holds this time. Its a pain in the ass to get this stuff fixed.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Mine started seaping after I took it to the track about a year ago. I just top it off every few months. I don't have a puddle, but about a nickle size every day...

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Mine leaked from the factory then I resealed using gray sealant and it never leaked again. I find that if you follow the directions and let it cure 24 hours before adding the gear oil it will not leak. I do have a diff brace so there is no flex on the cover to break the seal.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
ugh i havent had this YET hope i dont get it....does it come from hard launches?

hard launches yeah, but wheel hop kills the IRS. Like everyone says if it hopes stop. let off quick as possible. Mine started leaking again in March when i went to the track here in the UK first time. Track prep was shit similar to the roads here in the UK. I spun all day long and wheel hopped here and there then after 5 or 6 runs i gave up. Later that week i noticed a couple drops here and there. got bit worse leak like 50 cent piece to gatorade bottle top size 2 months later. You are ok for a little while being that you got around 2 liters of oil in the Diff. But i am not a gambling man.

Users who are viewing this thread