Need a little help,with loose steering issues.

UARPREY

Established Member
First off, practically everything in the front end is brand new.

QA1 bump steer kit
QA1 caster plates
Steeda X2 BJ's
Energy suspension control arm bushings
Energy suspension rack bushings
Rack n pinion ( the cardone 22000 listed in the sticky up top)
MM solid steering shaft
Struts

And there's probably more I'm forgetting.

Anyway, before I did all this stuff, i had play or wiggle room in the wheel, and the steering wheel is cocked to the right.

By play, i mean the car wondered down the road, but also, just sitting still, you can turn the wheel 1-2 inches in either direction before you even feel it start to hit the resistance of turning the wheels.

I read something about a bushing, inside the car, where the shaft comes through, that can work itself out and cause this. But i checked mine, and it looks fully seated.

I don't have a helper around, so i set up my cell phone to video the shaft from under the hood, as i turned the wheel inside the car, and the whole shaft is turning, 1-2 inches either direction, until it starts to meet resistance and turn the wheels.

Is there something I forgot to do? I'm kind of at a loss here. I did all of this work, got it back together, only to find absolutely 0 improvement. the car has not been aligned yet, but we got it pretty close. Even driving it through my apartment parking lot, it feels very sketchy. Probably worse than before.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I had a loose steering that was a bad inner tie rod. Swapped them out and got the car re-aligned - and it is all good again now.

You can test it by lifting the wheel off the ground and then try to see how much play you have by moving the wheel in the same direction as the steering would move. If you have a lot of play - it will translate to a lot of play in the steering wheel as well.

UARPREY

Established Member
Yeah but car don't have factory tie rods anymore.. brand new QA1 bump steer kit. Everything is brand new in the front end.

UARPREY

Established Member
Not yet. My buddy ( mach 1 guy) installed it, while I was doing other stuff on the car. He said it was good n tight, I trust him. But I'm about to go out there and get the car on stands, and see what i can see.

I just can't believe I've replaced literally everything up front and this stuff is still here.

Users who are viewing this thread