need a little more low end torque

KILRSVT

Established Member
So in the never ending battle to reduce times at an autocross or open track I really would like to up the low end torque on my car. It really seems to wake up at 3,000 rpm but below that its somewhat lazy. Its a pain in that ass at an autocross. Right off the line it seems like there isn't much power and then it comes pouring out above 3k rpms . My mods are 3"jba O/R x pipe GT500 cans and aed tune. My gears are 3:31 , I was thinking going 3:73 but I really like the way the car is geared . What are you guys doing to increase low end power . Overall I would like to make the power more linear , although after driving my buddys stock 5.0 I feel its the way engine behaves. thanks for your time

Clipboard

Established Member
Being a dohc type of engine that's the way it behaves....Low rpms suck sometimes. The 3.73's would definitely help you down low. However; in autocross you shouldn't be going lower than 4k rpms I thought think? If you are because of the limit of your gears I would look into a boss manifold? It's the opposite direction but could help in a much different way.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would do 3.73s and/or Longtube Headers for a little more grunt down low. The gears will of course get you to that sweet spot quicker, which should help corner exit speeds.

5.0jake

Established Member
Maybe even 3.90 or 4.10's for autocross purposes. I didn't notice much of a difference down low going from 3.31 to 3.73's.

cstone94

Established Member
My first 14' 5.0 was a 3.31 car and now I have another 14' track pack with the 3.73's. Starting in 1st is pointless in a 3.73 car unless you're about to smack it. Lower gearing (higher numerically) is gonna be way better for autocross purposes. Just dont go too low to where you'll have to shift all the time in the small straights.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I think 3.73's would sucks for autocross myself, too much time changing gears. Long tubes would certainly up your torque, as would switching to e85 fuel. Short of that, the car is what it is maybe try slipping the clutch @ 4500 +/- rpm on the take off as long as you have a decent tire outback and suspension it should hook fine and you'll be much better off out of the hole. I have 3.31's and the CJ Manifold setup and my car does just fine out of the hole, have no problems staying with my brothers 500 ft/lb Lightning. The myth that 3.31's are bad is..... a myth.

Voltwings

Established Member
Have you considered "gearing down" with smaller rims? I dont know exactly how the math relates, but i imagine some smaller wheels would get you some quicker turn over A. because they're lighter, and B. Because its less rolling circumfrance. I dont know if you can fit 17's over the front brakes, but some 17 x 9 RPF1's with some meaty 255 - 265 sticky tires would be sick! ... granted that depends on what class you're in so maybe its not the best idea. Is E85 an option for you?

CSG

Established Member
Choose gearing to suit the course you typically run. Gear changes kill an autocross time. Heel/Toe in a AX environment is tough unless you're a hell of a lot better driver than me.

devildog1679

Established Member
I run a few Auto-X events a year and find the 3.73’s good. I take off in first and once I’m in second I rarely go higher. Granted these are tighter courses than others. Even in third the car has plenty of torque down low.

pufferfish

Established Member
If people can cut 1.9x 60ft at the strip with street tires and 3.31's, you can do it too. You will need to change your launch style.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I had a '95 GT that I autox all the time. It had 3.73's and you just need to nail the launch. After that it was always fine.

KILRSVT

Established Member
In every autocross I tend to go 1st and short shift to 2nd I am on thinking of doing e85 my buddys coyote has a boss mani 3:73 and e85 it hauls ass at the auto x way more violent than mine . But I really like the 3:31 at the road course I'll try doing e85 on my set up . I am doing a dyno day on Sunday so I will be able to look at the power range band .

twistedneck

Established Member
dood what do you think F1 is doing? even this year with 15000 rpm cap they don't make shit until 10,000. indy only revs to 12,500 and they also have zero low end. with your first gear you should be able to keep the revs high, and with the long powerband of our coyotes its not bad to take it all the way to 7200 if you need to.. even if you lose HP it will help with power after the shift.

I don't see how you are hooking anyway unless you have a torsen or wavetrack and run slicks.

Users who are viewing this thread