Need a new coolant plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Fair enough. If you use anti-seize the factory plugs don't rust in place, although the outside can rust if you live in a humid or wet climate. I can see the value of stainless for cosmetic reasons for sure.

I don't know what year your car is, but I originally designed these for Lincoln Mark VIII's, some of which are nearly 19 years old. Most owners don't ever even touch these, or even know that they're there, until they need to open it...

On a 13-19 year-old Mark VIII, the age, combined with the steel to steel threads in a water system makes it very hard, and sometimes impossible to remove. You don't have to use my plug, or like it even. Just realize that for other people, there is a real need for them...

:beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Keeping the 1/4" square drive will also mean keeping grease or never seize generously applied FOREVER!
I hate that stock cap!:bash::nonono:

I am looking forward to getting a stainless cap from Jay that will accept a direct read mechanical coolant gauge sender and nut.

Some of these aftermarket electric gauges are not much better than the factory idiot gauges as far as vague and worthless goes.

I realize now that I need the better accuracy of a mechanical gauge for my application.

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Cool - do you have some pictures you can share? People looking at them would like to see what they are getting before they order I'd guess.

What is your current price and what do you get for shipping on them to the lower 48?

Do your pieces have the integral o-ring like the factory plug?

Yeah, there's a bunch of pictures floating around. There's actually a really good picture on the first page of this thread.

Normal plugs are $40 shipped, and the ones with the 1/8" NPT threaded hole are $45 shipped, and they've got an o-ring groove just like the factory ones, and I supply an o-ring.

Thanks for asking!

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Keeping the 1/4" square drive will also mean keeping grease or never seize generously applied FOREVER!
I hate that stock cap!:bash::nonono:

I am looking forward to getting a stainless cap from Jay that will accept a direct read mechanical coolant gauge sender and nut.

Some of these aftermarket electric gauges are not much better than the factory idiot gauges as far as vague and worthless goes.

I realize now that I need the better accuracy of a mechanical gauge for my application.

Hey Jimmy, I got a chance to look at that fitting a little more today. Should be no problem. I've got it all planned out, and may have it mostly complete tomorrow by the time I leave work...

I've got a couple more that I need to make for other people, then yours will be the priority. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. :rockon:

timbo3282

Established Member
I don't know what year your car is, but I originally designed these for Lincoln Mark VIII's, some of which are nearly 19 years old. Most owners don't ever even touch these, or even know that they're there, until they need to open it...

On a 13-19 year-old Mark VIII, the age, combined with the steel to steel threads in a water system makes it very hard, and sometimes impossible to remove. You don't have to use my plug, or like it even. Just realize that for other people, there is a real need for them...

:beer:

Hey man - I wasn't saying there was no need for what you make. I haven't even seen your product yet - that's why I am asking for pictures and other info. You wouldn't make something and people wouldn't buy it if there was no need for it. No offense was meant - I apologize for what I said coming off that way.

I was just saying when properly installed the stock plug has worked fine for me - a little anti-seize goes a long way. I've got an 2003 Cobra (in my signature) and I've worked on a bunch of the newer (94+) Mustangs that have had similar / the same plugs and I've never had a problem removing them as long as they haven't been pulled since they were installed at the factory. I definitely have had an issue pulling them out if they have been removed since installed at the factory and an anti-seize wasn't used on the threads when it was reinstalled.

I'm sure your plug is great - especially if it isn't that brass piece I saw in the picture. All I was saying was that the brass piece in that picture looked goofy in my opinion. Full stop.

Again, I'm sorry for what I said coming off as an attack on your product - that was not my intention at all. :beer:

Last edited:

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Hey man - I wasn't saying there was no need for what you make. I haven't even seen your product yet - that's why I am asking for pictures and other info. You wouldn't make something and people wouldn't buy it if there was no need for it. No offense was meant - I apologize for what I said coming off that way.

I was just saying when properly installed the stock plug has worked fine for me - a little anti-seize goes a long way. I've got an 2003 Cobra (in my signature) and I've worked on a bunch of the newer (94+) Mustangs that have had similar / the same plugs and I've never had a problem removing them as long as they haven't been pulled since they were installed at the factory. I definitely have had an issue pulling them out if they have been removed since installed at the factory and an anti-seize wasn't used on the threads when it was reinstalled.

I'm sure your plug is great - especially if it isn't that brass piece I saw in the picture. All I was saying was that the brass piece in that picture looked goofy in my opinion. Full stop.

Again, I'm sorry for what I said coming off as an attack on your product - that was not my intention at all. :beer:

No problem, I didn't take it as a personal attack, and after re-reading my post, I can see that it probably seemed as though I felt that way. No worries man! :rockon:

Check out the first page of this thread for a really good picture of a couple of them....They're sitting on the corner of my laptop in the picture.

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
Yeah, there's a bunch of pictures floating around. There's actually a really good picture on the first page of this thread.

Normal plugs are $40 shipped, and the ones with the 1/8" NPT threaded hole are $45 shipped, and they've got an o-ring groove just like the factory ones, and I supply an o-ring.

Thanks for asking!

I like it so much I want to buy it. While I have a nearly unlimited supply of anti-seize that stuff is messy. Since I have a set of silicone hoses on order I am going to have to have that stock plug in and out a lot. No need to make things so hard on myself when there is a better solution available.

How do I order the regular plug (no hole for a sending unit)?

Thanks man. :beer:

98mark8lsc

Established Member
I stand corrected, it's actually $34 on your first LRS link, (not the Google one).

I personally don't buy from Tousley since my local dealer gives me those prices over the counter. Had I wanted one of the OEM plugs - $22 from my guys. Since they are steel and will rust, why bother. The SS plug that Jay makes is so much nicer, and they don't all have to have that "terrible looking" brass plug.

To each his own, especially if you aren't close enough to LRS to get the "cheap" next day shipping.

Thanks for "sticking up" for me man! I'm glad you like it well enough to defend it for me. lol. :banana:

98mark8lsc

Established Member
I like it so much I want to buy it. While I have a nearly unlimited supply of anti-seize that stuff is messy. Since I have a set of silicone hoses on order I am going to have to have that stock plug in and out a lot. No need to make things so hard on myself when there is a better solution available.

How do I order the regular plug (no hole for a sending unit)?

Thanks man. :beer:

Just PM me, and I'll get you my PayPal info. Lately, there's been about a 3-4 week wait time on them cuz of my job, calculus class, new child, life, etc..., but I'm actually almost completely caught up now, and may be able to get yours made tomorrow. Just PM and we'll go from there.

Glad you came around! lol. ;-)

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Just PM me, and I'll get you my PayPal info. Lately, there's been about a 3-4 week wait time on them cuz of my job, calculus class, new child, life, etc..., but I'm actually almost completely caught up now, and may be able to get yours made tomorrow. Just PM and we'll go from there.

Glad you came around! lol. ;-)

Hello there I want one with the sender. Can you make one Tom also:thumbsup: pm me ur paypal to send payment

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
jay it might be worth mentioning to the folks that might not have been following your product's threads from the beginning - don't your plugs actually use a slightly larger sized o-ring than stock?

once i remember trying to buy a parts store (kragen, auto zone, etc) replacement o-ring for my stock plug, and couldn't duplicate it exactly. but iirc didn't you initially mention that you machine yours to accept the readily available (slightly larger) o-ring?

if i am wrong my apologies

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Hello there I want one with the sender. Can you make one Tom also:thumbsup: pm me ur paypal to send payment

PM sent.

I don't know that I'd be able to get yours done today. I have a special project for Jimmy that I have to get to. The normal caps are much easier and faster to make than the ones with the threaded hole...

BTW, it doesn't come with the sender, just the hole that the sender threads into...

98mark8lsc

Established Member
jay it might be worth mentioning to the folks that might not have been following your product's threads from the beginning - don't your plugs actually use a slightly larger sized o-ring than stock?

once i remember trying to buy a parts store (kragen, auto zone, etc) replacement o-ring for my stock plug, and couldn't duplicate it exactly. but iirc didn't you initially mention that you machine yours to accept the readily available (slightly larger) o-ring?

if i am wrong my apologies

Yes, I use a slightly larger o-ring, and I cut the o-ring groove a little deeper too, to accomodate for that.

Thanks for bringing that up! :thumbsup:

20psirabbit

Established Member
Pm me paypal info, I'll take a normal one with no coolant sensor :beer: I can't wait to get rid of my stocker!

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Jay...

I sent you a pm as well...

Also does it come witha o ring or do you reuse the old one......

Thank You...

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
my stocker has been stuck for a while now. Cant get that sob off for anything. Even took a torch to the tube hoping it would help loosen things up.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
my stocker has been stuck for a while now. Cant get that sob off for anything. Even took a torch to the tube hoping it would help loosen things up.

When you applied direct heat did it slighty glow red? Someone should have large visegrips while direct heat is applied with steady force turning it while its glowing.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I just talked to Jay via PMs, he has been exceedingly tied up with a new job and house searching so needless to say availability is going to be delayed.

With that said these are totally worth the wait.

For those who can't wait there is no separate cap parts listing just the crossover tube assembly for Terminator Mustangs but the cap is the same as it has ever been.
Have your parts guy look it up for a 93 to 98 Mark8 and you will be getting exactly the same plug.

Then when Jay gets caught up get one of his SWEET stainless steel hex caps.:rockon::beer:

Vise grips and heat works for removing caps that were put back on without any grease or never seize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread