Need a new coolant plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
When you applied direct heat did it slighty glow red? Someone should have large visegrips while direct heat is applied with steady force turning it while its glowing.

I was working on it by myself so keeping heat on it and keeping a bite on the very small section of the cap was almost impossible. Now that my buddy is back from vacation, I'm going on vacation but we will hopefully get it knocked out when I get back.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I just talked to Jay via PMs, he has been exceedingly tied up with a new job and house searching so needless to say availability is going to be delayed.

With that said these are totally worth the wait.

For those who can't wait there is no separate cap parts listing just the crossover tube assembly for Terminator Mustangs but the cap is the same as it has ever been.
Have your parts guy look it up for a 93 to 98 Mark8 and you will be getting exactly the same plug.

Then when Jay gets caught up get one of his SWEET stainless steel hex caps.:rockon::beer:

Vise grips and heat works for removing caps that were put back on without any grease or never seize.
From an old thread about the oem plug:
"P/N F3LY-8A500-A It is listed for a Mark 8 and it is identical to the one in the 4v Mustang crossover pipe."
Someone needs to check if this is still available.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Jim the plugs are super. I received mine and the center hole is 1/8NPT if I'm not mistaken. I have a full sweep mechanical autometer sport comp 2 coming in Tom. I kno I'm going to have to modify jay's plug, it's going to be drilled larger and rethreaded. My good friend is an aircraft machinist and works same area near me. He's going to help me modify jays plug. I can get you the specific's since I kno you wanted to go mechanical temp, that's if your interested. Since it's mechanical the fitting on the probe is larger than your typical electrical sender.

Here's the comparison of the probe, fitting and jays plug not modded yet.

a4907b93.gif

I just talked to Jay via PMs, he has been exceedingly tied up with a new job and house searching so needless to say availability is going to be delayed.

With that said these are totally worth the wait.

For those who can't wait there is no separate cap parts listing just the crossover tube assembly for Terminator Mustangs but the cap is the same as it has ever been.
Have your parts guy look it up for a 93 to 98 Mark8 and you will be getting exactly the same plug.

Then when Jay gets caught up get one of his SWEET stainless steel hex caps.:rockon::beer:

Vise grips and heat works for removing caps that were put back on without any grease or never seize.

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Here's some pics of one I just made special, for Jimmy. He sent me the fitting that his mechanical temp sender would need to thread in to, and some measurements. I decided that the best way to go about it would be to incorporate that fitting into one of my caps, instead of using a comglomeration of fittings adapting each other.
I made the hex in the top of it larger than normal. I didn't feel comfortable using the normal 18mm hex cuz it didn't seem like there would be enough of a sidewall there to support the threads. Since I didn't have a program set up in the CNC machine for the larger hex, I ended up milling it out manually. Here's what I came up with...

photo_3.JPG

photo_1.JPG

photo_2.JPG

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Jim the plugs are super. I received mine and the center hole is 1/8NPT if I'm not mistaken. I have a full sweep mechanical autometer sport comp 2 coming in Tom. I kno I'm going to have to modify jay's plug, it's going to be drilled larger and rethreaded. My good friend is an aircraft machinist and works same area near me. He's going to help me modify jays plug. I can get you the specific's since I kno you wanted to go mechanical temp, that's if your interested. Since it's mechanical the fitting on the probe is larger than your typical electrical sender.

Here's the comparison of the probe, fitting and jays plug not modded yet.

a4907b93.gif

I didn't know you had plans to modify it for this. Please make sure there's enough "meat" there to support the larger bore and threads...

01Jes

Established Member
I didn't know you had plans to modify it for this. Please make sure there's enough "meat" there to support the larger bore and threads...

This is true Jay. Im using one adapter so that there will be enough hex(beef) to run the new fitting. It should work like a charm, I'll post up pics once it's done:beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The one Jay made for me has the tapered seat and threads so that the nut that is captive on the sender will work and SEAL all by itself! No need any longer for the special nut that has the small threads and tapered seat.

photo_3.JPG

01Jes

Established Member
Ok Jim so your only going to use the nut that comes with the sender? Almost like first pic I posted? I don't think the adapter I have is tapered. Ur thoughts?

a265ed5e.gif

d9d5109a.gif

01Jes

Established Member
aa5dfdcc.gif

c3182906.gif

Edited: pics too big

Ok here we go, thanks

Last edited:

98mark8lsc

Established Member
Ok Jim so your only going to use the nut that comes with the sender? Almost like first pic I posted? I don't think the adapter I have is tapered. Ur thoughts?

a265ed5e.gif

d9d5109a.gif

Maybe Jimmy can post up the pics of his temp sensor bulb and the nut that is used to tighten it down, but it sounds like you guys have very different pieces.

Jimmy's has a "captive" nut attached to it that spins freely around the bulb. Because of this, the threads are not what seals everything. The sealing action is done with the tapered seat i've built into the cap I made for Jimmy, for a metal-to-metal seal, much like an AN fitting does with the built-in flare.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
After breaking off a 1/4" drive and having to vise grip my plug off of my nice redfire painted one I'm sure glad I bought one of these to replace it with.

gat0r

Established Member
any update on avail for these?
have sent IMs, but no response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread