Need a New Laptop. Alienware?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I did a search and everything came back with "Hunter Biden Laptop" :rolleyes:

My wife said anything I buy is gonna feel like it runs on E85 compared to my current 4-cyl laptop

My current laptop suxs.

Dell Ispirion
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz 1.60
Windows10 ,
Installed RAM 4GB
Windows 10

Needs a 45 minute headstart to warm up when getting on SVTP etc.
It's a cheap, got me by for 5 years, sorta thing.

I started looking at with HP Specters and Omens, than my wife showed me her work laptop.
She works from home, it's docked with 2 monitors. It's a Alienware 15x, i7 processor, and technically outdated already. But 4 years old and never an issue.

As with anything, if I buy this years model, In 6 months it'll be outdated.

Any feedback before I order? I really like the ascetics of the Alienware line up and am NOT a hardcore gamer.

COD, Older games etc.
Wanted video editing and the ability to eventually run higher demanding games in my spare time.

I'm thinking Alienware's X16 R1 model. Pretty much maxed out

Alienware 16X R1

Processor13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-13900HK (24 MB cache, 14 cores, 20 threads, up to 5.40 GHz Turbo)Operating System

Windows 11 Home
CardNVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4090, 16 GB GDDR6
Memory32 GB, LPDDR5, 6000 MHz
16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms, 100% DCI-P3, ComfortView Plus, NVIDIA G-SYNC + Advanced OptimusColor
Storage1TB, M.2, PCIe NVMe
KeyboardAlienware X Series keyboard with per-key AlienFX RGB

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've have had a 17" SSD and 1TB Alienware for 5 years, outstanding machine. I do 3D CAD with it. Leave it at work during the week, and bring it home on weekends. There will be a few who say to build one, screw that, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I've have had a 17" SSD and 1TB Alienware for 5 years, outstanding machine. I do 3D CAD with it. Leave it at work during the week, and bring it home on weekends. There will be a few who say to build one, screw that, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Thanks.
I knew from searching you had an HP I think. I need portability, for air travel sometimes. Figured the 16" would be good, if not I can get a monitor which is probably what I will do soon.

My new job has me working on class presentations, and my laptop just is not cutting it

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Thanks.
I knew from searching you had an HP I think. I need portability, for air travel sometimes. Figured the 16" would be good, if not I can get a monitor which is probably what I will do soon.

My new job has me working on class presentations, and my laptop just is not cutting it

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
It would need a new battery at this point Pete, but it lasted well at first. It's just plugged in all the time. Did I mention it's still stupid fast, and I updated it to 11.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Alienware are nice but generally overpriced for the features imo. All of the top manufacturers make “gaming” series laptops that will serve your needs easily. The Omen, Legion, and RoG series are prime examples. If your wife uses hers daily I would consider upgrading her and just taking over her old machine.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Want a discounted laptop? Woot.com

Choices from $0.2K to $2K.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
If you’re not a hardcore gamer that Alienware may be overkill for you.

The specs on that machine are top tier and it will NOT be obsolete in 6 months.

Yes, you’re paying for the name but if you like the aesthetics go for it. That laptop will be solid for years to come.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered the X16 R1 this morning and it should be here next week. I will follow up with my thoughts and some pictures.

Alienware are nice but generally overpriced for the features imo. All of the top manufacturers make “gaming” series laptops that will serve your needs easily. The Omen, Legion, and RoG series are prime examples. If your wife uses hers daily I would consider upgrading her and just taking over her old machine.
I'm not sure that would work. Hers is monitored by the IT dept.
But she did say she could expense report a monitor. So there is that(y)

I bought a DELL XPS 15 inch screen when the pandemic hit. Thing has a solid chassis, quick af and has given me zero problems. It will run you over 2k though.
I did look at those as well. If I spec'd it out the same at the X16, it was $500.00 more. I did look though. The XPS was a contender.

If you’re not a hardcore gamer that Alienware may be overkill for you.

The specs on that machine are top tier and it will NOT be obsolete in 6 months.

Yes, you’re paying for the name but if you like the aesthetics go for it. That laptop will be solid for years to come.

Sometimes, its better to have to much than not enough. I approach that in some things. Based on your response, I'm pretty sure I am not going to be disappointed.

Thank You

How much is that one? Itching for another work laptop.

I would have considered a x15, but, it had the 30 series video cards and what not.
I pretty much went in with, I want to start with something new, and hipefully it will last me.

I posted the link, you can change around the options and I guess @03cobra#694 could help answer work related capabilities I guess.

I spoke with the DELL reps and they were pretty helpful on some of my questions too.

Alienware x16 Gaming Laptop - Alienware Laptops | Dell USA

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I ordered the X16 R1 this morning and it should be here next week. I will follow up with my thoughts and some pictures.

I'm not sure that would work. Hers is monitored by the IT dept.
But she did say she could expense report a monitor. So there is that(y)

I did look at those as well. If I spec'd it out the same at the X16, it was $500.00 more. I did look though. The XPS was a contender.

Sometimes, its better to have to much than not enough. I approach that in some things. Based on your response, I'm pretty sure I am not going to be disappointed.

Thank You

I would have considered a x15, but, it had the 30 series video cards and what not.
I pretty much went in with, I want to start with something new, and hipefully it will last me.

I posted the link, you can change around the options and I guess @03cobra#694 could help answer work related capabilities I guess.

I spoke with the DELL reps and they were pretty helpful on some of my questions too.

Alienware x16 Gaming Laptop - Alienware Laptops | Dell USA
I'm surprised the Alienware laptop you chose was cheaper than the XPS. When I was researching in 2020 I considered an Alienware but the XPS was cheaper with identical specs.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a Alienware 15 R2 and have to replace it's battery, again.

It's a huge PITA because you have to pull the motherboard to access the board. Clever.

I heard good things about the Azus ROG.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
alienware is over rated trash. if you're playing games and doing rendering just get a desktop and be done with it. laptops are never good solutions for gaming. If you absolutely need a laptop/device for on the go, just get a surface pro

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
alienware is over rated trash. if you're playing games and doing rendering just get a desktop and be done with it. laptops are never good solutions for gaming. If you absolutely need a laptop/device for on the go, just get a surface pro

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
K Einstein, the 3D (not a game) program we use doesn't support that, but I see you know everything.

JimCSHO

Established Member
I have a Alienware 15 R2 and have to replace it's battery, again.

It's a huge PITA because you have to pull the motherboard to access the board. Clever.

I heard good things about the Azus ROG.
I have an Asus and would never buy one again. Lots of issues over the couple of years, and have had to replace the hard drive twice (now have a solid state one that seems to be hanging in, but there are other issues with the laptop - like the numerical keypad only working about half the time)

Users who are viewing this thread