need a new motor

tx03snake

Established Member
hey guys well found out this week that i basically need a new motor. they did a compression test and i am leakin in almost all of my cylinders and they told me that i need a new motor. what i have been wanting to do is buy like an 03 cobra crate motor ready to drop in because i thought Ford Racing offered that. do yall know if that is correct or not because i cannot find it on there site? i bought the car used with 16k miles on it with an upper, intake, and exhaust and from what the guys at Fastlane are telling me is basically that the tune the guy had put on it could have not been a good tune or a right tune for the car and i could have been pushing to much boost on the car. i am just right now lost at what exactly to do cause i need my car back up and running as soon as possible. i am just looking for other opinions at what to do before i jump in and let this place fix the car.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

tx03snake

Established Member
thanks guys i will check into them. i was also talking to a guy who i totally forgot does this shit on the side and he was telling me that i could probably just get away with just getting a shortblock cause the guys who checked my car out told me that they could still use alot of the parts like heads and rods and so on so i might look into that. this whole thing is just drivin me crazy and it sucks not getting to drive the car

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Call Steve at Tousley Ford for the Ford Re-man Longblock, should deliver to you, or your shop for around $ 4000.00 / W Ford warranty. Put one in my car last summer and it's working out great. Good time to do a clutch and other mods. Get the right tune, and break it in right. Good luck!!!

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
it the motor runs and doesn't have broken internals running around in there then why not just have new forged pistons / rods installed in your motor then they can also bore the block while they're at it if needed. Should cost less than $4K and you'd have an almost indestructible engine.

you should get pricing from Fastlane about that and also call and ask Houston Performance about doing this (281) 893-6080

Is Fastlane near beltway 8 and I10 area ???? don't they work on all types of muscle cars ?

can you pull your own engine and take it in to get the work done ?

Last edited:

tx03snake

Established Member
Fastlane is right there at 1960 and Jones road basically. in between 290 and 249. and i have no idea if you can pull your motor and take to them but i dont see why not. just give them a call and talk to anthony or nick. and they basically work on everything there.

RussZTT

Established Member
Pull the motor and check the cylinder walls. If they look good just hone it, put new bearings and rings in, new gaskets and put it all back together again.

Or, bore it .20 over, with with a set of CP pistons, new bearings, gaskets and use the crank and rods then put her back together.

I would go ahead and install a set of bronze valve guides though.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Pull the motor and check the cylinder walls. If they look good just hone it, put new bearings and rings in, new gaskets and put it all back together again.

Or, bore it .20 over, with with a set of CP pistons, new bearings, gaskets and use the crank and rods then put her back together.

I would go ahead and install a set of bronze valve guides though.

+100000

no need for an entire new motor. What are your compression readings? we need more info

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I highly recommend you remove the heads and take a closer look at things before deciding on a long or a short block. It could just be your heads. Terminators are known to have valve problems out of the blue and your short block may be just fine. It's happened to me and it's happened to Killer04's car that is now on my driveway. His head had failed and he did get some piston damage from the chunk of aluminum that fell into the #6 cylinder. He was told by one shop that it was only head gaskets. Bottom line.. tear doown first then order your stuff so you aren't wasting cash on stuf you don't need. Unless you really just want a whole new long block.

Users who are viewing this thread