Need a T56 expert

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
I think my 4th gear sycro is going out on me. Every time I shift up into 4th gear it grinds slightly into gear. If I let the RPM's go down almost to idle it slips right in and when I power shift it dosen't grind, but when shifting normally it grinds. Am I in the need of new sycros? What else could it be.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I would say you have a valid concern. Not only that, but the grinding you are hearing is NOT the synchronizers, but the sliders grinding on the engagement teeth of the gear. You could very well need a slider and gear. This should be covered by warranty. If not, I would pull it apart and contact Liberty for parts. While you're at it, get it upgraded to a higher geared overdrive! If you aren't up to doing the tranny work yourself, I'm betting you could find a competent shop somewhere or ship the tranny. Look for some performance GM shops if you can't find a local Ford based shop.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Were you referring to Liberty Ford in Maryland? Great dealer for parts IMO. I've worked with Randy Stinchcomb (Parts Manager) numerous times. If that was the dealer you were referring to, the number is 410-655-2000 (Ext 5618), Monday 8am to 7pm, Tuesday thru Friday 8am to 4pm.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Sorry Bob...I was referring to Liberty Transmissions. They can sell you the parts you need and/or do the work for you if you ship the tranny to them. Actually, it's not too hard to do yourself if you have the special tools needed to do the job correctly. But I would definitely ask them about the OD swap if I were you. I think JB has it in his...and maybe Postban too. I believe they call it the Viper Upgrade. It gives you a .5 OD ratio in 6th.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
yep, Dave and I both had the Viper OD gears installed at Liberty, among other things....

.74 and .50

Ken, give them a call and Craig or Paul will go over your options with ya

http://www.libertysgears.com (authorized Tremec dealer and rebuilder)

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Basically, you are going to need a dial indicator and mount to check end play, a couple of different pullers to remove bearings, some seal and bearing drivers, tone ring driver, and another tool I'm not sure of just exactly what it does. Most of these tools are standard fare in a shop...and some can be "improvised". If you know a buddy who works in a Ford shop, he will have the Essential Tool kit for the T56 and he can help you out if you run into a bind. But you really need to feel comfortable inside a manual transmission. Lots of snap rings and needle bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread