Need Advice On Buying A Theft Rcovery

stevieb

Established Member
I am considering buying a theft recovered engine for a Harley. It is a legit sale but the numbers were distorted before it was recovered, and I was told when I buy it I have to go to the CHP and get a special construction tag on it.
Not a problem but my question is will they give me a SC tag for just the engine or will they want to tag it and my currently registered bike at the same time as one unit?
The reason I ask is my bike and the oem engine numbers are the same and I want to know if I will have to change my title, because what I have heard from folks that a special construction vehicle is worth a lot less than an original, and if thats the case I will pass on the whole issue. Thanks guys.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
I wouldnt think you would have to get a new number for the whole bike. Because the engine is only a component part to the bike. Is the bike already registered? If so you and you are only changing the engine out, I would probably just change it, then keep the bill of sale incase anyone ever questions the engine, as proof of ownership. Find out if you can get a new assigned number for just the engine before you install it. Ask your state leos if you you can get it renumbered incase you want to resell the engine and not install it? or if you can legally just use the receipt.

stevieb

Established Member
I guess I should have specifically asked for a Calif LEO opinion. The thing is on bikes (at least on my HD) is the numbers on the engine and the frame are the same. Im the original owner of my bike and want to put a later version motor in it.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
stevieb said:
I guess I should have specifically asked for a Calif LEO opinion. The thing is on bikes (at least on my HD) is the numbers on the engine and the frame are the same. Im the original owner of my bike and want to put a later version motor in it.

Its the same with all autos, the engine, body and trans. all have same numbers. It would be just like changing the engine in your car. You can change the engine your car without having the numbers changed , so a bike should be the same? Just keep the proof of ownership to the engine, since it has no numbers now.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I am not an expert in this particular area of CA law, however there are constants so my best guess would be the frame number is the one used to register the "vehicle". The need to clarify the engine serial number stems from the fact the existing numbers are not readible. Bottom line is; if in doubt, don't rely on any information you would receive here, contact your local DMV office and follow their advice. Even a well-trained CHP officer will have difficulty with this particular situation since it is a splinter-skill area - identifying/recovering stolen vehicles. They would default to a DMV investigator. Good Luck.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
cobr96 said:
Its the same with all autos, the engine, body and trans. all have same numbers. It would be just like changing the engine in your car. You can change the engine your car without having the numbers changed , so a bike should be the same? Just keep the proof of ownership to the engine, since it has no numbers now.

Not the same with Harleys. If the numbers even look a little funny they will tow and impound it.

stevieb

Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
Not the same with Harleys. If the numbers even look a little funny they will tow and impound it.
Larry I am with you on this one. I dont have aproblem getting the engine Spec Const tag, I just dont want my title to change to a spec const title.
BTW Larry, I have a 99 Fatboy evo and I want to bolt in a TC103 (starting with an 88). :rockon: I think you might be one of the very few that can relate to this.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
stevieb said:
Larry I am with you on this one. I dont have aproblem getting the engine Spec Const tag, I just dont want my title to change to a spec const title.
BTW Larry, I have a 99 Fatboy evo and I want to bolt in a TC103 (starting with an 88). :rockon: I think you might be one of the very few that can relate to this.

:burnout: :burnout:

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
I have been thru the HD plant on the Law Enforcment Course. There are many places ... unkown to most where there are vin numbers hidden... Harley is the best in the bike business.

This is an MVA question (unless CHP is the MVA there) but in MD they would give you an Engine modification certificate and it would attach to your original title.

The only problem I see with this engine is that if you want to sell it ... ever... you could scare people away with the thought that the engine didnt come with the bike.

I have a friend who is CHP... I will email him your question.

stevieb

Established Member
Roush S3 said:
I have been thru the HD plant on the Law Enforcment Course. There are many places ... unkown to most where there are vin numbers hidden... Harley is the best in the bike business.

This is an MVA question (unless CHP is the MVA there) but in MD they would give you an Engine modification certificate and it would attach to your original title.

The only problem I see with this engine is that if you want to sell it ... ever... you could scare people away with the thought that the engine didnt come with the bike.

I have a friend who is CHP... I will email him your question.
That would be great, thanks. I understand about the value aspect of it, that why I was going to keep the original engine. I just didnt want to find out the bike is entirely worthless because of the title reclassification. I will look into the motor vehicle side of it (called DMV here in Cali, but anything you ever heard about DMV employees is probably true), through my work we have to deal withthe motor carrier division of CHP, so I will look into that also. Thanks again.

And to all a MERRY CHRISTMAS! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread