Need advice on heating oil delivery

venmos1

Established Member
about a month ago i called and placed an order for heating oil. I have a kerosene heater so i ordered K-1. My lease at my apt comes up at the end of april so i only wanted to get enough to get by, not extra for the next tenant. So i placed an order for $100 worth of K-1. Since i ordered less than 100 gallons, the company charges a $20 delivery fee. Whatever, fine. Well i come home from work and find that they delivered 100 gallons rather than $100. it even said on the instructions for $100 with the $20 delivery charge. So they charge me for the 100 gallons AND add the $20 delivery charge.
So i call then up and speak with the area manager. she tells me that if i wanted we could set up a payment plan to help the payment over a longer time period. i explain to her about the moving out situation and why i wanted only $100 of K-1. so then she says well we will come out and pump out the overage and be good. Well i feel weird about this whole pumping out of K-1 etc. She tries to explain the trucks pumps work and record both ways and it will be done accurately. Still feeling uncomfortable with this, seems like thats the only way it can be...i say whatever.

Fast forward to today, the oil company still has not came and taken out any fuel and send me a bill for the full amount. So my questions are: is this legal for them to do? what are my rights? in my opinion, its the drivers error. take it out of his paycheck. I kind of compare it to those full service gas stations. if they go over what you order they eat it. Any one have experience with this?

sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If the invoice had to deliver $100 not 100gal they should be responsible.
She is correct if the truck is modern they can pump it out and measure. However if you are not there to watch he can pump whatever he wants and you will never know.

venmos1

Established Member
If the invoice had to deliver $100 not 100gal they should be responsible.
She is correct if the truck is modern they can pump it out and measure. However if you are not there to watch he can pump whatever he wants and you will never know.

yes the invoice says $100. funny how they pumped the 100 gallons and still charged the delivery charge (which you dont have to pay if you order 100 gallons). Thats my issue. i work 6-5 everyday and cannot be home to see this happen. also, its been a month since the delivery. i feel they have had time to make it right. not they need to eat their mistake. i just dont know the legal parameters here and not just what the "big bad oil company" says.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
If your invoice states you special ordered $100 worth the rest is on them. Here in Maryland once that oil is pumped into your tank it becomes your property, they can not pump the oil back out. It also becomes a hazardous material possibly contaminated with what ever else might be in your tank, sludge, water, what ever. I'd insist they eat the difference.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The solution is simple. Call them back and tell them you are not paying the bill until the overage is pumped out and the bill corrected. You should only have to pay a total of $120.00. $100. for the oil plus the delivery fee. Actually, if they have outstanding customer service they would also credit you for the $20. delivery for your inconvenience. Especially if you have to now be there to verify the correct gallons are pumped back into the truck.

LS2GTO

Established Member
If the receipt clearly states $100+$20 delivery fee, then that's what you're responsible for. It's not ethical or even legal to give you more than you wanted and charge you for it.

That's like going to Best Buy and ordering a $500 TV, then when they come to deliver it the next day they bring a $2000 TV and say to you tough, pay for it.

venmos1

Established Member
thanks for the replies guys. yes the invoice says clear as day in the instructions $100 and a $20 delivery charge (i even live within 1 mile of the damn company). I agree with them eating the overage. i would think charging more than what i ordered would be against the law. as well as going and pumping out what they over delivered. I will make a call in to the local DA office and see what they have to say about it. thanks for all the input. :beer:

LogiWorld123

Established Member
I'd say pay the $120 and hold them accountable to the terms on their delivery invoice.

Users who are viewing this thread