Need advice on possible L purchase PLEASE

2003sb

I'm looking at an '02 TR Lightning with 80,000 miles..Truck is very clean and looks to be well maintained. Widow is selling her husband's truck. Owner was in his 70's. She said he has "several thousand" dollars invested in the truck to make it "go faster." She said she had some paperwork where work was performed on the truck but did not produce anything. Are there any problems with this year L that I should be aware of or look for? Anything that should be done if I purchase it? (other than changing the fluids) Thanks in advance.

2014-03-14_10-07-35_174_zpsd13275be.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-03-13_20-27-12_710_zpsd09e167f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Robert Francis

Established Member
"Several thousands of dollars invested to make it go faster?" I'd be nervous to buy if I didn't know exactly what that meant - and documented on paper.

grantturner

Established Member
Be careful what several thousands of dollars invested is. You don't know if it was tuned and what type of tune. But you can have a sound mechanic check it out and if the price is right jump on it.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
The only non-factory things I see in the two pics you posted are:
-CAI
-hard tonneau cover
-battery

It might have single blade throttle body (hard to tell from the pic). The SC pulley looks to be the factory pulley but I can't speak for the crank pulley since its not pictured. I can see a green tip 42# fuel injector in the pic so the injectors are stock. The IC reservoir is stock as is the fan shroud so my guess is that is still has the factory mechanical fan.

Since the previous owner was an elderly gentleman I'm willing to bet the truck has lived a pretty good life and is probably a good buy if the price is right.

99-02 (and early build 03s) came with four-thread heads which were more proned to "launching" spark plugs but that's nothing to worry about as long as you are willing to periodically check the torque on the spark plugs to make sure they don't back out. If you buy the truck be sure to check that the cruise control recall has been conducted.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
If you buy it conduct basic preventative maintenance:

-clean air filter
-oil/oil filter change
-replace the fuel filter (and do so every other oil change)
-replace the spark plugs - determine mods before doing this so you can be sure to get plugs in the proper heat range although I suspect the truck is stock and will need stock plugs at the stock gap
-clean MAF
-set TPS to .99v
-ensure the IC pump is functioning
-clean the IC
-install an oil separator
-plug the "turkey pan"

I know most of those things probably have you wondering WTF I'm talking about, but we'll worry about that later if you buy the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread