Need Advice on Which SUV

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I am selling my car tomorrow, but have no idea on which vehicle I want to get next. I know I want a SUV, and have pretty much narrowed it down to these options:

Lexus RX350
Acura MDX
Infiniti FX35
BMW X5

I have found an X5 that I fell in love with, problem is, it has 90k miles. Its a 2011 in IMMACULATE shape, with all service records, and is just downright stunning and drives great, but I am having a very hard time pulling the trigger on it due to horror stories. It is priced very right.

Are BMW's as bad as everyone makes them out to be? Has their quality gotten better? I also posted this on a BMW board but wanted to get some non-biased opinions.

I am also lightly considering an Edge Sport.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
We just replaced an X5(4.4l) motor for a cracked block, had been overheated by the previous owner. Of the ones listed, I would go with the Acura, only because I have never seen one in our shop. Try a Buick, if they have one ready to drive with all of the recalls finished.:p

B0B

Established Member
don't get an X5 man... You will regret it. ESPECIALLY with 90k miles. What about an Explorer sport Ecoboost?

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i have had a BMW for over 2 years and it has been the most reliable vehicle i have ever onwed. not a single issue with it. it was very well maintained by the previous owner, and also myself. it is a '03 M3 with over 100k miles.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
The wife and I have had an '08 FX35 for about 5 years, we absolutely love it. It's AWD and has gotten us through a blizzard in northern New Mexico just fine. It gets decent gas mileage, usually around 22-26 on the highway. 107k miles and not one issue, only thing I've replaced are tires, brakes, and oil.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A friend of ours has leased two FX35s. She loves the model. No issues ever that I'm aware of. I don't like the Samurai inspired (rear) design, but it's a darn solid vehicle IMO.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Flex Ecoboost or Edge Sport. SRT8 GC if you can find one that hasnt been beat to shit.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe try to find a used 13 edge sport?

While not fast, they are quick enough for a DD suv.

Don't care at all for the FX35, look weird to me. The X5 would be nice, but you better have some side cash set aside if the previous owner didn't take good care of it.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
We picked up a 2009 FX35 right when they came out. We kept it 5 years and let it go just before going overseas. My wife and I loved it, and never had any issues. We plan to get another when we return to the states in a few years.

alex3610

Established Member
My wife drives a 2012 Acura RDX. Has over 60k on it now and has been flawless. She plans on upgrading to the MDX in a few years. We had a few BMW's in the family (never an X5 though) and they were maintenance intensive compared to everything else we had (domestic or japanese minus a few Volvos). Prices on parts scare me, and stuff that you have to go to the dealer for prepare to bleed anally. I'm sure some people have great luck with them, but there is a reason why those cars are so cheap used.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Make sure to checkout Toyota 4Runners. The current model only comes with a V6 but the last generation (2003-2009) had an optional 4.7L V8 that is a phenomenal motor and very strong for the size of the truck.

dom418

Established Member
You guys are nuts, I like how most of the recommendations are not on his list. Is this for you or the wife? You buying used? The lexus and Infiniti models you listed are more feminine IMO. We had an 11 MDX Advance and loved it, for the money you can't beat Acura. Most other brands especially BMW the options are a la carte and sure they are reliable but pucker your ass cheeks when something does go wrong.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
I have ruled out the Lexus and probably the Acura. I have TSX now and there are minor things that annoy me that is going to be on the MDX as well.

I am now heavily considering the Edge Sport, but I keep falling back on the X5. I love everything about that car, I just can't seem to find out if they are problematic or not, and I am worried about resale value once it goes over 100k.

I did get the service records on it, and it has been maintained fully, one owner, and hasn't had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread