Need advice

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I have a choice and need some guidance. I have two people with 03's that might want to swap their IRS for my solid. The thing is, I'm not sure if I want to. I don't drag race and my car is a daily driver so the softer ride would be nice. I also would like my car to handle well. I know the IRS is better for those things but is it noticeable enough to justify all the work required to swap? I've never spent enough time in one to notice any difference.

Also, my buddy has 4.10 gears while the other guy has stock 3.55's. I know the guy with 3.55's wants to swap but he's waiting on my friends decision before we go through with it (if I do). The thing is, I'm not sure I want to buy new gears and pay to have them installed if I were to swap to the stock geared IRS.

Anyways, let me know what you think. I'm stuck as to whether I want the IRS bad enough to go through with all the work.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
nah, keep the solid axle. too much work and not worth it in the end. Yes, it will be a softer ride, but still not worth all the hassle.

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
I ALMOST did this swap but decided not to.

Adds to much unsprung weight, not the best design IRS (they had to use the same mounting points as a solid axle so it is not the best design it COULD be), parts are more expensive, axles break easier, and IMO you can get a solid axle to handle just as well if not better then a IRS with the proper setup. Just my thoughts.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
But, the improperly designed IRS is still 100x better for what I want than the solid. Plus it would be a straight swap, therefore giving me better handling (my priority now) without having to buy many expensive parts. The 03 axles are also much stronger then 99-01 and considering I'm on regular street tires I wouldn't ever break them.

I'm not worried about breaking anything with my bolt on cobra.

CY98Cobra

Established Member

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
If you plan to keep in on the street the IRS will be good for that (specially uneven and bumpy roads) but I still think if you want to open track or autox it one day go for a built up solid rear.

I would go do a search on Corner carvers if you want some hardcore opinions on which is better for handling...

If I got an offer for a str8 up trade....I would take it in a heartbeat no doubt. I also daily drive my car and that nice soft ride would be 10x better. I wouldn't even worry about breaking shit either like you said, bolt-on 98 cobra wouldn't break crap. I say go for it.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Labora said:
If you plan to keep in on the street the IRS will be good for that (specially uneven and bumpy roads) but I still think if you want to open track or autox it one day go for a built up solid rear.

I would go do a search on Corner carvers if you want some hardcore opinions on which is better for handling...

A properly built solid will not out corner a properly built IRS. There's a reaon every purpose built sports car has an IRS. This becomes even more true when talking about rough pavement, in which the solid upsets the car very badly. Not saying a built solid won't handle, because I know it will.

Plus I'm not interested in open tracking, just daily driver. I like being able to take a turn aggresively with confidence, which I can't with the solid. I could buy a $300 PHB and a $400 torque arm or I could not spend a penny and swap to the IRS, which gives a plusher ride also. The advantages of the IRS heavily outweigh the negatives, for my goals at least. Not to mention the roads we have around here :eek: I appreciate the feedback though:thumbsup:

Oh, and the IRS has 4.10's also, so I won't be losing any gear :banana:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
put some 4.56's in that IRS rear before you put it in. especially dince you have a t56. you could use the extra pull in 1st gear. The gear swap will be very easy with the rearend out of the car.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
With gas prices the way they have been I don't think I'm going to go with 4.56's. If I had the .50 6th gear I wouldn't think twice about it. But being that I'm in college and I'm going to have to cut back on work hours next semester the last thing I need is to be spending more on gas. I would love to have them though.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Yeah your mind sounds made up, let us know how it goes, and if you can notice the extra 150lbs. Its funny how if you look on the terminator forums they all talk about how much they love their solid axle swaps. Getting rid of 150lbs of weight, no more terrible wheel hop on burnouts, etc. But who knows.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The terminators also have about 100+ more rwhp/tq than me, that mekes a big difference. Also, the 100 lb. difference won't even be noticeable and I don't do burnouts. Just a daily driver with the occasional run through the gears and spirited back roads driving.

Like I said above, after reading the two posts from people who have done the swap my mind is made up. I've already talked to my buddy and confirmed the swap. Still like to hear everyone's opinion though.

budguy1967

Established Member
You drop a tenth of a second for every 100 lbs you lose, possibly a small SOTP difference...its like the difference in racing with a passenger and without passengers...I know I notice a difference.

SLWSNKE

Banned
CY98Cobra said:
A properly built solid will not out corner a properly built IRS. There's a reaon every purpose built sports car has an IRS. This becomes even more true when talking about rough pavement, in which the solid upsets the car very badly. Not saying a built solid won't handle, because I know it will.

Plus I'm not interested in open tracking, just daily driver. I like being able to take a turn aggresively with confidence, which I can't with the solid. I could buy a $300 PHB and a $400 torque arm or I could not spend a penny and swap to the IRS, which gives a plusher ride also. The advantages of the IRS heavily outweigh the negatives, for my goals at least. Not to mention the roads we have around here :eek: I appreciate the feedback though:thumbsup:

Oh, and the IRS has 4.10's also, so I won't be losing any gear :banana:
Whatever. Look in american iron. Every top mustang runs a solid axle. IRS will ride better, but don't justify swapping to a compromised irs design by bashing a solid axle. Compare apples to apples, Ford's factory quadra bind suspension is far from optimal in regards to handling, add some mods and things are considerably different.

Lorne

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Show me where I bashed a solid axle. Learn to read before you come on here and try to talk shit newbie.

Also, have you ever thought that the reason most mustangs run a solid axle is because 99.9% of them came with a solid from the factory? If the IRS is so "compromised" how do you explain the 00 R? It handles pretty well for having a "compromised" IRS.

Not to mention I'm not looking for an all out race car. Just a car that will be good for my daily driver and be fun on twisty back roads. Oh, and not to mention it won't cost me a thing, unlike the solid would in order to handle decent.

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:

While this may be true all things equal not so true in the Mustang world.

SLWSNKE said:
Whatever. Look in american iron. Every top mustang runs a solid axle. IRS will ride better, but don't justify swapping to a compromised irs design by bashing a solid axle. Compare apples to apples, Ford's factory quadra bind suspension is far from optimal in regards to handling, add some mods and things are considerably different.
Lorne

Yep you beat me to it. ;-) If you want to see what the "purpose built mustangs" are using the majority are using the Solid axle. (All thou I would be interested to see the ratio solid vs. IRS)

Like I said thou if it is a street car go for it but don't think that just because it is IRS is the best solution to all your handling needs.. :beer:

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Also, have you ever thought that the reason most mustangs run a solid axle is because 99.9% of them came with a solid from the factory? If the IRS is so "compromised" how do you explain the 00 R? It handles pretty well for having a "compromised" IRS.

The compromises are in the design, the mounting points for one the fox platform were never designed for a IRS setup and the unsprung weight you ad also hurts alot! Due to the mounting points the geometry isn't the best. If you want some more indepth info go do a search on corner carvers it has probably been covered to death.

Me personally I think the IRS was mostly a marketing ploy by Ford. Look how many people bash the solid axle just because it is "outdated" and pay no mind to it's performance. (Take the 05 Mustang for example) Just my .02 cents. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread