Need advise on apartment damage

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'll try to keep this short so bear with me

My wife and I recently moved from our apartment that we lived at for just over 2 years. After moving we received a letter in the mail with a bill for $1352 for carpet replacement. This is a 591 sq ft tiny 1 bedroom apartment with cheap carpet mind you. I will admit that there is a small amount of carpet damage from our dog (when she was a puppy). There is a small hole about 1" in diameter the dog chewed in the carpet. Along with this they also sent us a picture of a perfectly straight cut in the carpet that i don't see how my dog could have caused. This cut is roughly 7" long and straight as an arrow. They also sent pictures from where they lifted the carpet and you could see stains. Funny they didn't lift the carpet for me during the original walk-through. All the damage is in the living room only, amounting to a size of about 12X12 feet of total area. I'm not sure where the under carpet stains are located, but we had a leaking ceiling for about 2 months. We let them know immediately that it was leaking and it took them almost a full 2 months to fix it.

I'm not sure how old the carpet was when we moved in, I'm considering asking them for the previous invoice to see when and how much it cost for the carpet to be replaced previously. We paid a very small ($100) security deposit, which was based on our credit that they are putting towards the repair amount. They are not however putting the $300 pet deposit and $15 a month we paid for "pet rent" towards the repair.

I won't go into too much detail because it would be way too long, but this apartment complex has been a joke for a long time. We constantly had to deal with issues that would take weeks to be repaired, a recessed light in the ceiling that was hanging completely out for the last 6 months we were there although we asked it to be repaired on several occasions. During the summer huge cockroaches would roam the complex inside and out, we had to killed probably 1 every other day, and these bastards were 2-3", they were huge. For a few weeks they neglected to empty the dumpster resulting in a mountain of trash bags laying outside for the wildlife to pick through. Im talking probably 100 bags of trash piled up. At one point someone crashed into the mail center which took 6 months to repair, resulting in me having to spend my lunch breaks driving to the post office to get my mail.

I'm not trying to avoid the small amount of damages that we did cause, but I'm not trying to re-carpet the entire place on my dime either. They gave us 2 weeks to pay in full or they will send it to collections. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20160607_063136.jpg
    20160607_063136.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

dooberGN

Established Member
Same thing happened to me when we moved out of our apartment. Having a dog in a apartment just gives them an excuse to charge you for new carpet and there is nothing you can do about it. Unless you want to deal with going to court.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I would dispute it and say prove that I actually did this. Especially with a ceiling leak it makes it difficult to come back on you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You just have to decide whether it's worth fighting about or not. More than likely it'll cost you more than that in a lawyer.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Fight them about the charges. They are taking advantage of you.

Thats how i feel, i feel like since i had a pet and they caused a small amount of damage now they want me to re-carpet the entire place on my dime. I would honestly rather pay a lawyer to get me out of it then this complex getting another cent from me.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
They can only charge you a prorated amount for the damage...So if it's a 10 year carpet and it was brand new when you moved in, 80 percent of new value.

Ask for the receipts of the old installed carpet, along with the warranty card on it etc. Chances are they don't have it.

SHOdown220

Established Member
They can only charge you a prorated amount for the damage...So if it's a 10 year carpet and it was brand new when you moved in, 80 percent of new value.

Ask for the receipts of the old installed carpet, along with the warranty card on it etc. Chances are they don't have it.

Yeah i was planning on that, we will see if they have it. This complex was bought out halfway through our stay there, so who knows what they actually have. Its a shame too, the first company was great and the maintenance guys were awesome, always fixed my stuff right away, they would even walk over when i was walking my dog and pet her and bring her treats. When the new company came in they fired all the maintenance guys and brought there own worthless workers in.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ask for the estimate to replace said carpet, and then get your own estimate, based on their measurements and spec of carpet, so it's an apples to apples comparison.

If yours is much lower, split the difference with them and be done with it.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Did you do a move out inspection with the complex manager? Honestly, I would have went ahead and repaired/replaced the carpet prior to moving out and kept all receipts just in case something like this came up.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

Came here to say this. Depending on your location, it could be a shorter length of time too.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Did you do a move out inspection with the complex manager? Honestly, I would have went ahead and repaired/replaced the carpet prior to moving out and kept all receipts just in case something like this came up.

We did not, we wanted to but they would never tell us when the inspection was going to happen so that we could meet them there. (we moved to our new place 2 months before our lease expired)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We did not, we wanted to but they would never tell us when the inspection was going to happen so that we could meet them there. (we moved to our new place 2 months before our lease expired)

I thought you had to be present for a walk through? Definitely check into your states/local governments requirements on the matter.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I thought you had to be present for a walk through? Definitely check into your states/local governments requirements on the matter.

I'm not sure on that, don't really know where to look for that information but I will see what i can come up with

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

The only reason I asked is because I got burned bad by the first complex I ever lived in alone. Left that apt in great condition and received a bill for "cleaning and repairs" for $4xx.xx. Man I was so pissed. I didn't take pics or do a move out inspection before I moved, just turn in my keys and thought I was good. The last two places I left I requested a move out inspection a few days before moving to give me time to correct anything they may say needs addressing. I've received deposits back both times.

Hope you come to some type of agreement with them cause they're definitely trying to charge you to carpet the entire apt.

SHOdown220

Established Member
The only reason I asked is because I got burned bad by the first complex I ever lived in alone. Left that apt in great condition and received a bill for "cleaning and repairs" for $4xx.xx. Man I was so pissed. I didn't take pics or do a move out inspection before I moved, just turn in my keys and thought I was good. The last two places I left I requested a move out inspection a few days before moving to give me time to correct anything they may say needs addressing. I've received deposits back both times.

Hope you come to some type of agreement with them cause they're definitely trying to charge you to carpet the entire apt.

I guess I just wasn't careful enough with moving out, i should have been more careful with move out inspection and what not. This isn't the first apartment I've lived at but I've never had any trouble like this from any of the other places. Thanks for the advice

_Snake_

Established Member
You just have to decide whether it's worth fighting about or not. More than likely it'll cost you more than that in a lawyer.

Agreed. It'll probably also cost the owner of the apartment complex about the same to pursue it, which means he/she might not.

OP - they didn't keep your $300 pet deposit? What did they say about the $15/month pet surcharge? That's at least $360 they should apply towards the repairs.

On the surface, it doesn't sound like they're being reasonable and are hoping to make some extra $ off you. I'd try to gather some more info, but there's a good chance I'd tell them to pound sand.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It sounds to me like the company who owns the property is having financial trouble. Failing to make repairs, not paying the disposal company (why else would the dumpster not get emptied?), and now trying to bully you into paying what sounds like inflated repair costs all suggest to me that they probably aren't on the up and up financially....

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Agreed. It'll probably also cost the owner of the apartment complex about the same to pursue it, which means he/she might not.

OP - they didn't keep your $300 pet deposit? What did they say about the $15/month pet surcharge? That's at least $360 they should apply towards the repairs.

On the surface, it doesn't sound like they're being reasonable and are hoping to make some extra $ off you. I'd try to gather some more info, but there's a good chance I'd tell them to pound sand.

Sounds like they are keeping that money but refusing to use it towards damages. If OP has this in writing, I bet a firm letter from a lawyer would help turn things around.

Users who are viewing this thread