Need expert advice

mach1033

Established Member
I should have mentioned that I have a vert as well. Also I forgot to ask were you able to keep the blown motor?

Last edited:

nooner

Established Member
I was just trying to save you some money the more custom parts you throw at it the more headaches you run into, It sounds like you are dead set on many aftermarket parts. I did that several times with foxbody's and got my cobra because it is built right out of the box. 108K on it without removing a cam cover and 602 RWHP with a 2.3 whipple at 17psi, If you want all the aftermarket cam's, valvetrain, ported heads, oil pan, oil pump, then build what makes you happy, I think the factory parts are durable enough for a 600-700 rwhp car with a good tune, no leaks and they last. You can achieve your goal for 1/2 the cost and the parts are proven on alot of our car's. The choice is your's to make and good luck on the build whatever direction you take.

Ok, that's cool! Yeah, you're right about pretty much everything you said. Even the part about me being dead set on some things. I don't know about the "half the cost" part, but definitely agree on cheaper! And probably could get more power for the same money, but like you say... this is what makes me happy. I definitely will listen to your advice, but I don't have to take it! ;-)

nooner

Established Member
I should have mentioned that I have a vert as well. Also I forgot to ask were you able to keep the blown motor?

Yeah, I was able to keep the old motor, but I'll be using a lot of parts from it. Why, do you have an idea about what I can do with the rest of it? I'm going to keep some of the parts for now (like the Eaton) until I'm sure I'm happy with 600+ hp. I'm really curious how bad it is because it didn't make hardly any noise, and I pulled over as soon as I realized something wasn't quite right, so I'd like to think it didn't get trashed too bad.

Since you also have a vert then you must know about that crossmember that was discussed. What did you think about the MM k-member? Did it affect cowl shake at all? Did you have any negative effects of eliminating that crossmember? I do like Quick Strike's idea of it providing protection for the headers but I also like the idea dropping some more weight off the front end, and the idea of having coil overs. Do you have a strut tower brace? These are all things I intended to address BEFORE replacing my engine, but that choice was made FOR me.

mach1033

Established Member
Yeah, I was able to keep the old motor, but I'll be using a lot of parts from it. Why, do you have an idea about what I can do with the rest of it? I'm going to keep some of the parts for now (like the Eaton) until I'm sure I'm happy with 600+ hp. I'm really curious how bad it is because it didn't make hardly any noise, and I pulled over as soon as I realized something wasn't quite right, so I'd like to think it didn't get trashed too bad.

Since you also have a vert then you must know about that crossmember that was discussed. What did you think about the MM k-member? Did it affect cowl shake at all? Did you have any negative effects of eliminating that crossmember? I do like Quick Strike's idea of it providing protection for the headers but I also like the idea dropping some more weight off the front end, and the idea of having coil overs. Do you have a strut tower brace? These are all things I intended to address BEFORE replacing my engine, but that choice was made FOR me.
I have full sub frame connectors, K member, A arms with delrin bushings, Strut tower brace, complete coilover kit front to back and the full tilt boogie kit, 165150[/ATTACH]"]
cobra099.jpg

Attachments

• cobra099.jpg
    cobra099.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 44

mach1033

Established Member
Being that you were able to keep the motor why dont you buy a short block and then have those heads ported and have a set of cams installed. Also see if the original block can be saved. I would tear down that block so fast checking to see what I can save and build it even stronger.

nooner

Established Member
I have full sub frame connectors, K member, A arms with delrin bushings, Strut tower brace, complete coilover kit front to back and the full tilt boogie kit, 165154[/ATTACH]"]
cobra099.jpg

Sweet! I'm doing the full length s/f connectors now, and already have the full tilt boogie kit, but still want to do the rest of that eventually! You didn't say how that affected cowl shake? ...or the dreaded convertible front end shake? I always thought the strut tower brace would help that but people I trust say no, not really, but they don't have convertibles.

Being that you were able to keep the motor why dont you buy a short block and then have those heads ported and have a set of cams installed. Also see if the original block can be saved. I would tear down that block so fast checking to see what I can save and build it even stronger.

I AM buying a short block, and I'm getting heads that already are ported and polished and have cams. They have 2,000 miles on them. I'm told the previous owner paid $5000 for the work done on them, and I'm getting them for $3,000. I'm not reusing the old block because I wanted either an aluminum or Boss 5.0 block (or both). :??:

Want to buy my old block? ...cheap? ;-)

Attachments

• cobra099.jpg
    cobra099.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 49

mach1033

Established Member
I dont have any front end shake at all. In fact it is very stiff. Now get into a vert that doesnt have full subs/ strut tower brace and its shake rattle and roll time. Also where is middleburg FL? And if you noticed my brace is a 4 point versus a 3 point.

Last edited:

nooner

Established Member
Yes, I noticed EXACTLY which tower brace you have, since I've looked at that one many times. :thumbsup:
My previous car was an '02 GT convertible (which I bought new trading in a '98 GT coupe) so I know how bad they can be. My Cobra is actually much, much better than my GT was, and really the only difference is the Roush s/f connectors replaced the factory s/f connectors. They were already on the car when I got it so I don't know if the Cobras were just built better or if the Roush s/f connectors should get all the credit. They don't look like much. And we'll see how much improvement I get from the SpinTech full s/f connectors, but I just can't see how the strut tower brace can NOT help!

So it sounds like eliminating that vert only brace didn't hurt your car at all. Oh, and Middleburg is near Jacksonville. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread