Need feedback - is this whine normal???

sloopjonb

Established Member
I have a black 03 Cobra Mustang with 900 miles on it. After I got over the immediate thrill, I realized that on the highway, I had constant gear noise, a whine that sounds like it's coming from the rear-end. It's there when stepping even lightly on the accelerator, gone when you back off, starts at about 45 mph, real noticeable at 75 mph. Took it to the dealer, and they agreed, and put in a new rear-end (diff) and even new axles. No change after I got it back. Sounds like it's coming from the rear, maybe the sound migrates, and is actually coming from the tranny??? Anyway, I'm going nuts with this. Does anyone else experience a gear whine like this? Is it possible that this is normal? Believe me, I know the difference between supercharger whine, tire to road noise, etc. This is gears or gear-shaft bearings, actually I thought it was pinion gear bearings. Since I baby this car, I know it's nothing I have done. Help me, guys!!!

Sloop

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
If you have a first-run driveshaft, there is a new part #. It has been posted several times :-D

f4sfed

Established Member
1. Mising some insulation in the back of the car?

2. Tires?

3. The dealer didn't really replace your rear end?

sloopjonb

Established Member
Blue03Cobra,

I was aware that the drifeshaft might cause vibration, but how would it contribute to a whining sound? I'm game for anything.

Sloop

sloopjonb

Established Member
f4sfed,

I saw the new rear-end put in, so that's ok. It is definitely not tire noise, and my car is new off the line, so I can't imagine why I would have less insulation than someone else, but thanks!

Sloop

sloopjonb

Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
4. stop cleaning out your ears. :)

Yeah, well, I have to keep my wife happy too. Seriously, am I the only one who has this problem, or is it that everybody is either blasting the tunes or running modified exhaust, or both?

Sloop

2003 Cobra

Established Member
My transmission had a whine that drove me crazy. It sounded like a darn piece of crap old truck. I changed my trans fluid to Royal Purple and now the transmission is dead silent. No more whining and no bearings whirling. This stuff is magical. I've heard of snake oil but this stuff really shut off the annoying noises from the transmission.

sloopjonb

Established Member
By any chance, was the gear noise fairly constant when maintaining speed, and did it ever sound like it was coming from behind the tranny instead of the tranny? That stuff sounds great! It is really for real? Warranty problems? Thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
My transmission had a whine that drove me crazy. It sounded like a darn piece of crap old truck. I changed my trans fluid to Royal Purple and now the transmission is dead silent. No more whining and no bearings whirling. This stuff is magical. I've heard of snake oil but this stuff really shut off the annoying noises from the transmission.
How does the trans shift and feel with the RP fluid? I was thinking of going with Redline or the GM stuff.

sloopjonb- If the dealer repaced your diff and stuff and the noise didn't change then it's most likely coming from somewhere else. Mine has a slight whine, but I have to be exceeding the speed limit by a bit, not that I've ever broken the law or anything. Take it back to the dealer if you're happy with their work quality. NVH is hard and can take time.

Last edited:

f4sfed

Established Member
HEY! Did they replace your pig, or your whole rear assembly? If the just replaced the pig, it might be your wheel bearings. Although I don't think I've ever heard wheel bearings make that kind of noise. :shrug:

2003 Cobra

Established Member
My trans used to have a clunk when shifting between 1-2 and whine like a crying baby when cruising around. After I drained out the factory fluid and installed Royal Purple, the clunk is gone, there is no more whine and the shifting is now smooth as silk in all gears. I was going to try some of the Redline D4 fluid but thought I would try Royal Purple as my neighbor has used it in has transmission and told me how quiet it made the trans and how smooth it made shifting between gears. Personally I thought I was going to put the Royal Purple Synchromax in and end up telling my neighbor that his smooth shifts and quiet trans was due to some psychological phenomenon; however, I was amazed at how quiet my trans got and how easy the shifting got. In fact I ended up buying him and his wife dinner as gratitude for insisting that I try the Royal Purple Synchromax trans fluid

sloopjonb

Established Member
Worth a try 2003 Cobra. I could still swear the whine is coming from the rear, but it could just be projecting the sound, and is in fact the tranny. I can't imagine I could get two rear-ends doing the same exact thing. At $34,000, I shouldn't be dealing with this!

Sloop

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
My trans used to have a clunk when shifting between 1-2 and whine like a crying baby when cruising around. After I drained out the factory fluid and installed Royal Purple, the clunk is gone, there is no more whine and the shifting is now smooth as silk in all gears. I was going to try some of the Redline D4 fluid but thought I would try Royal Purple as my neighbor has used it in has transmission and told me how quiet it made the trans and how smooth it made shifting between gears. Personally I thought I was going to put the Royal Purple Synchromax in and end up telling my neighbor that his smooth shifts and quiet trans was due to some psychological phenomenon; however, I was amazed at how quiet my trans got and how easy the shifting got. In fact I ended up buying him and his wife dinner as gratitude for insisting that I try the Royal Purple Synchromax trans fluid

If we replace the trans fluid with RP Synchromax fluid, are there any friction modifiers, or other additives, necessary?

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
If we replace the trans fluid with RP Synchromax fluid, are there any friction modifiers, or other additives, necessary?

Anyone? Anyone?

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
I'll probably go with the Redline MTL. I have not tried the Royal Purple but the MTL has similar results: easier shifting, less noise, and cooler running. At least, this has been my experience with my last two cars.

Gear engagement is not that great with the ATF Ford puts in our trannys. Since it I don't expect to drive in freezing weather the ATF provides very few advantages.

Jim Hellekson

Established Member
sloopjonb,

I have experienced the same "whine" you are describing in my 2nd run 03. When I took delivery of my Cobra on 09/26, my salesman and I took it out on the highway to check for the "vibe". I took the car up to around 85 mph and was just happy not to have the "vibe". However, the next day on my way back home, 207 miles from dealer, I noticed a whine at around 65 in 6th gear. Due to the fact the road surface conditions change in different counties on the way back, I was unable to distinguish if the whine was because of road surface conditions or from the rearend. Then last Thursday, I drove the car to San Antonio, TX and again noticed that there seemed to be a whine coming from the rearend. But, I could only hear it while on an extremely smooth road surface. It seemed to go away when I would let off the gas a little. In addition, it was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from. I would have to actually turn my head to the right and back towards the rear seat to hear it.

I hate to take it to the dealer in San Angelo, TX and have them touch the care before actually knowing that I may have a problem. I am a firm believer that if there isn't anything wrong with a vehicle, just take it to the dealer, then it seems
that after that, there will always be something wrong. The only other minor problem that seems to have gone away after doing the clutch adjustment, was on about 2 occassions, it was a little difficult to shift into 2nd. My 03 currently has 1147 miles on it and the only mod thus far is a K&N.

Otherwise, my 03 runs like a raped ape!!

LOL, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread