need guidance on Dewalt cordless drill and impact

coposrv

Established Member
dewalts are weak. right now nothing touches the Milwaukee brushless tools. hell I even traded in all my snap on and dewalt cordless stuff for them. price wise they are an incredible deal.

This. I just picked up another set of milwaukee fuel cordless stuff. I have a drill and impact and hole hawg on the m18 and hammer drill as well as impact with the fuel motors. Milwaukee is killin it right now. Also have a heated jacket on the way. Anything to beat the cold.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Lowes will have the drill and impact driver for $150 on Black Friday. But if you are looking for more, this is a pretty decent deal. Today only.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...cular-Saw-Tool-Only-DCK420D2DCS391B/205533059

Here is pg 2 from the Lowes Black Friday ad with the drill and driver. They will also have the above kit, minus the add on circular saw for $249.

http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/lowes/black-friday/lowes-black-friday-ad.php?pn=2
I almost bought that top link's stuff but i realized it's not the XR series. I mostly want the XR drill due to it's smaller size. A small drill is what i want the most.

I appreciate everyone's comments. This will be just for around the house. I will use the impact mostly on my pics and small stuff on my truck. I can always buy a GOOD snap on impact for lugs but i think that's a bit over kills since i dont hit the track enough.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
After taking this treads advice and reading many reviews else where, i've decided to get both a 1/2 impact gun and 1/4. I dont see why i would need a more bulky 3/8 size impact for what i do. It will either be small stuff for my bikes or breaking off lug nuts or drive shaft bolts which will need a ton of TQ.

I found this model offered a lot of TQ uses the lithium battiers http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-high-torque-wrenches-dcf889hm2.aspx . I i know it isnt compact but the compact versions are much weaker. For the high tq jobs, i dont need compact. I will buy some craftsman or snap on impact swivels too so i dont destroy my regular hand tool swivels.

As for the impact drill, i will get the XR version. I still want a variable speed/power impact drill so i will shop around and see if i can get a combo. Post #19 is pretty awesome saying they will have blowers. I always use a blower for grass and drying off my truck. I am a stihl man when it comes to trimmers though:rockon:.

Blown 89

Established Member
Get a Milwaukee cordless impact. It's expensive but it measures the same as the old gold standard set by IR. There are videos on YouTube on guys measuring the torque. It would be a mistake to buy a Dealt.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
not gonna lie but I have a lot of Ryobi and they're awesome. I'm not remodeling a house or anything but day to day use they're great

Kornilov

Established Member
If you're going to get a cordless impact for automotive work, do it once and do it right. My recommendation:

The IR7150. You can get the WHOLE KIT it here for $350 shipped using the code ABN10:

http://www.autobodynow.com/collecti...iqv20-impact-wrench-1-battery-kit-ir-w7150k-1

This thing is rated to 750 ft/lbs and will take off a Honda crankbolt. This thing shits on all the other cordless impacts and is comparably to air tools running high CFMs.

$_57.JPG

Blown 89

Established Member
The Milwaukee M18 will match up to IR's highest capacity wrench. Those two are the only two on the market worth looking at.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Incase anyone is curious
1 inch lb = 0.0833 ft lbs
1000 inch lbs = 83 ft lbs

FiveOGirl

Established Member
All my tools are free and we are usually given dewalts. I've seen people treat them horribly and they keep on working.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
If you're going to get a cordless impact for automotive work, do it once and do it right. My recommendation:

The IR7150. You can get the WHOLE KIT it here for $350 shipped using the code ABN10:

http://www.autobodynow.com/collecti...iqv20-impact-wrench-1-battery-kit-ir-w7150k-1

This thing is rated to 750 ft/lbs and will take off a Honda crankbolt. This thing shits on all the other cordless impacts and is comparably to air tools running high CFMs.
holy crap. That is nearly twice as strong as anything else i've seen for pennys more. Looks like i will get that for 1/2" and dewalt for the smaller stuff.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Yeah the IR is weak compared to the Milwaukee fuel.. Also the IR stuff does not hold up to daily use. We had few guys in our shop trade them in cause they got tired of having them repaired.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have been using dewalt in the concrete construction world for years and they have treated me right and taken a lot of abuse. I also have a bunch of the 20v stuff for around the house work and love it! everyone has their preference in brand and i have and will be brand loyal to dewalt until it does me wrong

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Dewalt seems to treat me right as well. Been using the 36 volt setups for years now and love them. Much better than dragging cords out on job sites. Drills 3 inches holes no problem.

My 18 volt set on the other hand has been a disappointment. The impact is great but the drill is horrible. It's been repaired multiple times and chuck is still bad. Tempted to pick up that entry level 20 volt to replace it but it still works so waiting for it to die completely before I do.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
i use the milwaukee 12v and 18v reds. i have six 12v li-ion and 3 18v li-ion drills. they literally get used hundreds of times a day. ie not found anything else that stands up to what we do with them like the milwaukee reds. they are beast mode.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I have been using dewalt in the concrete construction world for years and they have treated me right and taken a lot of abuse. I also have a bunch of the 20v stuff for around the house work and love it! everyone has their preference in brand and i have and will be brand loyal to dewalt until it does me wrong

I just blew 450 bucks on 20v dewalt stuff on sale at napa. Might have been better deals out there but I'm in the middle of nowhere. And the dewalt rebuilt shop is only 180 miles away, and that make a pretty big difference. I've been having buyer remorse and half sick over the hammer drill, 3/8 and 1/2 impact I
Bought today.

Cbarr300

Established Member
I have dewalts 20v brushless impact driver and it's awesome for interior automotive work and light repairs. Does amazing with wood construction. I also have milwaukee m18 fuel impact wrenches, the smaller one and the big one. The big 1/2 inch one is a beast (brushless). The small one is awesome too. Plus milwaukees electric ratchet is pretty spot on. My vote is milwaukee products hands down.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
All of these tools are remarkably cheaper than they were 10 years ago---I almost consider them disposable after 3-4 years. I've had craftsman, dewalt, ryobi, rigid, and Milwaukee. I like the dewalt and Milwaukee best. In terms of lug nut removal, the best tool I've ever had for lug nut removal is a 1/2" corded impact driver from harbor freight, of all places. It's $59, but goes on sale for $39. I've used it countless times for lug nuts. Changed the brushes on it after 4-5 years, and it still works perfect. Strut bolts, lug nuts, doesn't matter. I even bought a second one just because.

Kornilov

Established Member
Yeah the IR is weak compared to the Milwaukee fuel.. Also the IR stuff does not hold up to daily use. We had few guys in our shop trade them in cause they got tired of having them repaired.

Bullshit. Milwaukee does not make a coordless 1/2 impact that is rated above 700 ft/lbs - according to my knowledge. Cant personally speak to the dependability of IR in a pro setting, but I would trust them with no issue if it were me. This is coming from a guy with multiple Milwaukee products, I love Milwaukee, but the IR7150 is the strongest cordless 1/2in dr. impact on the market, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread