need guidance on Dewalt cordless drill and impact

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We went to lowes today for a wrench. Then i passed the Dewalt stuff. Almost spend a few hundred dollars there. I need a cordless drill for our new home that's almost complete. However, i have no idea how good the new XR series is from dewalt. I want a small drill so the XR 20v looked appealing. I figured a lot of people can give me some advice.

Also, they make lights and radios that take the 20v battery packs too. So i will buy dewalt, im not interested in other brands.

I see they make an XR bundle with a cordless impact gun. Will that break lugs of my vehicles? It sure seems small. The XR series impact in the bundle did not have any power level adjustments. The one they offered without a package deal was nearly $275 but had 3 speeds. i want more than one speed. Id like to use it on smaller stuff like my bikes. I like the small discount of the bungle but i refuse to buy it and save since i want the variable speed impact gun.

I apologize not being vague on what power tools we seen. I dont have any model numbers. They were all at Lowes.

Thoughts?:read:

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
dewalts are weak. right now nothing touches the Milwaukee brushless tools. hell I even traded in all my snap on and dewalt cordless stuff for them. price wise they are an incredible deal.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
And I haven't had good luck with makita. Op I think the 20v dewalt stuff is pretty good from what I have seen, I've heard there is going to be some pretty good Black Friday sales on them.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Dewalt is decent. I LOVE their new "impact" drivers. They won't take off lugnuts off but they are FAR better at driving screws then your basic cordless drill. The impact action sets the screw with ease, no "pushing" nessesary. But yes Milwaukee is far superior, pick them both up. The dewalt feels like a toy.

ebaccm26

Established Member
I have plenty of DeWalt power tools and have never had ANY issues. Haven't tried the new 20V but Sears is going to have the Drill and the Impact together for $200 on Black Friday.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Been using a Dewalt 20v for a few years, no issues. I don't have a cordless impact, but want one.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
I use quite a bit of different brand Dewalt is a fairly good brand imo op. However if you are trying to break the lugs off that,sexy lightening I don't think it will do it.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I think this should be a rule: air tools for vehicles. I have a dewalt impact driver and drill for busy work at home, but if I am working on the cobra, air impact all the way.
I got my buddy a dewalt radio, he loves it. You can charge batteries on it, they have an aux jack for your ipod/phone and they are pretty rugged.

Damon03Termi

Established Member
I bought a RIDGID drill and impact set. Came with drill, impact, radio, and 2 batteries for $199. Also have the 1/2" RIDGID impact drill, takes my lug nuts right off, doesnt even strain. Im in the construction and electrical business. Several of the guys have this kit.
Sounds like youre set on Dewalt though.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
dewalt impact should be fine but buy the bigger one for sure. the smaller one might not remove lug nuts, the bigger one should.

i have the ryobi 18v system. i bought the big daddy 1/2" impact gun. it removes lug nuts just fine as long as theyre not over torqued (my buddys makita does). i torque my wheels to 100 ft lbs and the ryobi 1/2" handles it just fine. and its only 18v. the more v the more power. they now have 24v! :rockon: i have a couple of the smaller impacts that came in bundles and they cant handle lug nuts for shit. had to buy the big daddy separately. i use mine quite often as you can imagine, and it never fails me. but if youre a professional then id definitely recommend going higher up like makita or even snap on. but for hobbyist use, it works just fine. the drills handle all my household needs.

i also have an oooold school makita 9.6v drill set. over 20 years old. the drill still kicks ass. the batteries are starting to finally go. that thing is a beast! makita ftw!

and ryobi is below makita, dewalt, etc... lol. and it does the job just fine. i already had the system so i bought more into it. bought the badass lithium batteries. the system has been rocking no problem. recently got the $100 battery for 1/2 off during fathers day sale. picked up the big daddy impact during Christmas time sales.

they should have some great deals on most of the brands on BF weekend and no need to get in line at the crack of dawn either.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
As said that impact driver won't break free lugs but you will love it. I have the Makita version and my dad has the Dewalt one. Their power is very similar. You'll still use it all the time when working on cars. I'd equate it to a 3/8 ratchet for power. Just about any bolt you'd use a 3/8 ratchet on the impact driver will break it free. The power of these things is truly amazing.

I also bought the 1/2 Makita impact and use that to off lugs or bolts the smaller one won't break free. Dewalt also offers a larger 1/2 impact. I haven't used my air tools since I bought the cordless stuff. So much more convenient, the batteries last forever and they charge in 15 mins.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya youve gotta read the box to see what itll do. When I got my craftsman one I almost bought the wrong one that looked good but then realized it was rated in INCH pounds. The one I ended up getting will do over 100ft lbs, itll usually get lugs loose unless youre working on a super duty/HD or something

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ya youve gotta read the box to see what itll do. When I got my craftsman one I almost bought the wrong one that looked good but then realized it was rated in INCH pounds. The one I ended up getting will do over 100ft lbs, itll usually get lugs loose unless youre working on a super duty/HD or something

this lol. its sooo easy for people to misread that think its ft lbs.

i did a lot of research online. reading through owner reviews on home depot/lowes/amazon. people would say whether or not it would actually break the lugs loose.

also, even though the box will say XX ft lbs. its likely less than that. i think they over inflate the #s. my ryobi says like 150 ft lbs but no way it can do that. my buddys badass makita says 300 i think but i seriously doubt that lol

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I've had my set [ hammer drill,sawzall,circular saw,flashlight) for 10 years been through 2 sets of batteries. Descent mid grade stuff, technology is much better now.

01GTB

Established Member
Last edited:

BrianC_12

Established Member
Just FYI the 20v MAX drills are not 20v, they are really 18v. They are great drills though. I got the 20v MAX drill and impact and they do fine for me. But like others said it wont break lugs loose.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
We went to lowes today for a wrench. Then i passed the Dewalt stuff. Almost spend a few hundred dollars there. I need a cordless drill for our new home that's almost complete. However, i have no idea how good the new XR series is from dewalt. I want a small drill so the XR 20v looked appealing. I figured a lot of people can give me some advice

I'm a Dewalt rep, the 20v stuff is the way to go, get brushless if you can but if it's too pricey the brushed stuff is great too. Another reason to go 20v would be all the compatible tools we have for those batteries. We've got string trimmers (weed eaters), hedge trimmers, blower/vacs, etc all coming out soon running off those same batteries.

Send me a pm and hopefully I can answer any specific questions for ya

I got my buddy a dewalt radio, he loves it. You can charge batteries on it, they have an aux jack for your ipod/phone and they are pretty rugged.

We also have Bluetooth adapters for those now, pretty sweet to connect and change music thru your phone from anywhere nearby when you're working

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCR002...7237&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+bluetooth+adapter

alex3610

Established Member
What are the pros/cons of the brushless motors? I'm asking for a combo kit for xmas and I'd like this set to last me for the long haul so I'd rather buy right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread