Need Help Aerocatch Hood pin install location

101blur

Established Member
So I just got my Aero catch hood pins in today and want to install them before my next track event coming up real quick. has anyone installed these before..? what is the best location and easiest for mounting..?
I have seen a couple pics but no real based location. I want to mount them towards the outer edge of the hood.
any help would be great. thanks

BlueCoyote

Established Member
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f368/t299046/ A link I found on Google.

Looks like a pain as you have to remove the front bumper the way this guy did it. I personally dont know if there is a way to do it without removing it.

I have them on my 2002 gt and I installed the pin where the hood bumper stop bolts the the rad support. I really do like them. Then can be a pain to install with the little nuts and bolts. I glued the little nuts in the retainer so they would not fall out in the hood (which they will and you will loose them). Adjustment sometimes needs some tweaking from time to time but no biggy.

Last edited:

101blur

Established Member
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f368/t299046/ A link I found on Google.

Looks like a pain as you have to remove the front bumper the way this guy did it. I personally dont know if there is a way to do it without removing it.

I have them on my 2002 gt and I installed the pin where the hood bumper stop bolts the the rad support. I really do like them. Then can be a pain to install with the little nuts and bolts. I glued the little nuts in the retainer so they would not fall out in the hood (which they will and you will loose them). Adjustment sometimes needs some tweaking from time to time but no biggy.

hmmm I see good find thanks Does look like a lot of work. I will post pics later of it installed.
thanks

GT350pwns

Established Member
Mine are still not finished. It's worth paying a shop to take care of it. They are a MAJOR pain in the ass to install.

DTL

Established Member
They're not too bad, they just take time. I'll take a couple pics of mine later. I didn't remove the bumper or anything. Only tools you need are a GOOD hole saw set, dremel with cutoff wheels and sanding drums, masking tape and a pencil. I also swapped the hardware that came with mine, for stainless countersink screws and nylocks.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I have read that link a few times as I plan on using these when I get a hood. From step one to headlights off isn't hard. Been there. Maybe 45 minutes if you haven't done it before.

Cutting the hood would be the hard part for me.

DTL

Established Member
IMG_1215_zps0axmctho.gif

IMG_1216_zpslo4sjpa2.gif

IMG_1217_zpss9yqy2yz.gif

IMG_1219_zpsotrfjjwa.gif

DTL

Established Member
In my post above, you can see that I used a factory hole in the radiator cover and mounted the posts to factory holes in the core support. This worked great on my '13, but I don't know that it will work for earlier cars. Step 1 is to mount these pins, then locate everything off of them. Masking tape and hole saws are your friend. This install isn't really difficult, but it does take some time and patience. It's also pretty nerve wracking to take a drill and hole saw to the hood on your new car. I did mine when it had under 1000mi on it. Good Luck!!

Jabooh1

Established Member
Are you saying for those spots you didn't have to remove the bumper and headlight? How did you get a nut on the post?

DTL

Established Member
If you take the upper radiator cover off (the black plastic pan, held in place by a dozen, or so, push pins) you can reach in there and get to the bottom of the core support.

101blur

Established Member

In my post above, you can see that I used a factory hole in the radiator cover and mounted the posts to factory holes in the core support. This worked great on my '13, but I don't know that it will work for earlier cars. Step 1 is to mount these pins, then locate everything off of them. Masking tape and hole saws are your friend. This install isn't really difficult, but it does take some time and patience. It's also pretty nerve wracking to take a drill and hole saw to the hood on your new car. I did mine when it had under 1000mi on it. Good Luck!!

If you take the upper radiator cover off (the black plastic pan, held in place by a dozen, or so, push pins) you can reach in there and get to the bottom of the core support.

Perfect thanks for the pics as my car is white aswell lol. I just hope it works ok on my aftermarket carbon cowl hood..scared to mess up lol
thanks

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Pulling bumper off isn't too bad... I can do it in about 15 minutes... Splash guard off, fender liner screws out, unplug sidemarkers/fogs, bolts on the top of the bumper cover out and that's it.

101blur

Established Member

Pulling bumper off isn't too bad... I can do it in about 15 minutes... Splash guard off, fender liner screws out, unplug sidemarkers/fogs, bolts on the top of the bumper cover out and that's it.

Agreed I have already done it a dozen times lol but I have a splitter that adds to time. Always nice when I dont have to remove a bumper.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Did you get your pins installed? Which Aerocatch version did you go with? I went to their website and see a few different ones.

I ordered a Tiger Racing hood and will do 2 pins.

Users who are viewing this thread