Need help from tech. guys!!

mustang loco

Established Member
I know I'm in the GT500 sec. but would need help for this guys problem:

A guy in our local club just bought a 2012 California 5.0,now last week-end while having fun with it,doin a few "donuts...." he noticed that there's a little "whine" sound while light accelerations.Everything seems ok,shifting,acceleration(wot)...everything seems normal other than the little whine issue,would anyone have a clue what to look for??

Thx for the help guys!

SicShelby09

Banned
I know I'm in the GT500 sec. but would need help for this guys problem:

A guy in our local club just bought a 2012 California 5.0,now last week-end while having fun with it,doin a few "donuts...." he noticed that there's a little "whine" sound while light accelerations.Everything seems ok,shifting,acceleration(wot)...everything seems normal other than the little whine issue,would anyone have a clue what to look for??

Thx for the help guys!

I would look for the dealerships phone number to the service department.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If it's a manual transmission....

More than likely, the whine is coming from the MT-82 Getrag transmission. The design chosen by Ford is an older Chinese design that had inherent gear whine. This is why Ford opted for a heavier gear lube to quiet the noise.

mustang loco

Established Member
from where?

as long as it's bone stock........ otherwise.. TSB time..........

that's another problem why he didn't go to the dealer yet,he had a few things done to the car but nothing maajor I think.To answer you with- from where?

Doesn't know,he says the whine noise is comparable to when "you'd back up quicly with a car" that whine that the drivetrain does...same thing but just not as loud though...

mustang loco

Established Member
If it's a manual transmission....

More than likely, the whine is coming from the MT-82 Getrag transmission. The design chosen by Ford is an older Chinese design that had inherent gear whine. This is why Ford opted for a heavier gear lube to quiet the noise.

...sorry,didn't put that info down but it is manual..thx for your input with the lube "Beast"

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Sounds like tranny to me.

Troy - the design is German I thought, built in China.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Troy said:
The design chosen by Ford is an older Chinese design that had inherent gear whine
I'm probably not known as one to mince words - point of order...the design is that of a joint German and Chinese venture. The manufacturer, Jiangling Motor Group, is in China.

02_MT82.jpg

The Chinese refer to it as a 6MTI500 (what we call the MT82).
Auto Shanghai 2009 - German Pavilion - Exhibitors

Maximum torque capacity is 500 Nm, or 368.78 lb-ft.(Conversion calculator here...
Torque Conversion). I agree Troy, checking the transmission to see if it is indeed the source may not be a bad idea. The rear axle may be a source as well.

SicShelby09

Banned
I'm probably not known as one to mince words - point of order...the design is that of a joint German and Chinese venture. The manufacturer, Jiangling Motor Group, is in China.

02_MT82.jpg

The Chinese refer to it as a 6MTI500 (what we call the MT82).
Auto Shanghai 2009 - German Pavilion - Exhibitors

Maximum torque capacity is 500 Nm, or 368.78 lb-ft.(Conversion calculator here...
Torque Conversion). I agree Troy, checking the transmission to see if it is indeed the source may not be a bad idea. The rear axle may be a source as well.

Thats a great post TOB, but there was somthing different I read somewhere about that max tq figure and it was wrong or didnt apply to the mustang version. I cant remember where I read it, but thats not the case with the mustang MT82 I know. Besides, why would ford use it in a car that makes 390lb-ft of tq? And way more from the aftermarket.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Well, in that case, how about a backup reference?

MM&FF said:
The new MT82 manual is designed by Fords JFT joint venture with Getrag in Germany and built in a four-way joint venture plant in China. It features synchromesh on all gears, including Reverse, even in the six-cylinder version. The engineers tell us it is a slick-shifting unit thanks to ball bearings and pivoting shift forks on the shift rails, and there are positive shift stops inside the gearbox.

The box features a middle bulkhead for much better shaft support and a two-piece housing for reduced driveline bending. All gears are honed or ground, then hard-finished for quiet running. The synthetic lube is fill-for-life. Center distance is 82 mm, an insignificant millimeter closer than the out-going Tremec. Weight is 49 kg (108 pounds), and the torque capacity 375 lb-ft.

2011 Mustang GT Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

SS09 said:
Besides, why would ford use it in a car that makes 390lb-ft of tq? And way more from the aftermarket.
Too late to ask why. The deed is done. As to your mention of the aftermarket...that has nothing to do with Ford's decision. This wouldn't be the first time Ford used a transmission that had a lower maximum capacity than that of the engine. As an example, my 1988 GT Mustang was rated from Ford with 225 hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque
(reference, one of many, 1988 Mustang GT Specs, Info, Pics & More). The then Borg-Warner T5 was only rated at 265 ft/lbs...
(reference - Modern Driveline - T5 History in Ford Mustangs with specifications for World class and non-World class T5's)

Genius

Established Member
Could very well be a little gear whine (rear axle)
A little whine is not abnormal, sure it wasn't there before the show?
My 2008 Bullitt made a little noise, so does my 2012 GT500
All though I do gear installs and have very good hearing...
FWIW both of mine were 3.73's

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I know with the Shelby sporting 510 ft lbs of torque that it is tough to categorize a 6-speed transmission with a 375 ft-lb capacity as a 'high-torque' application, but it is. A little bit of gear whine is perfectly normal in a high performance application. It is impossible to diagnose a 'normal' vs. 'abnormal' noise over a forum, so my advice to your friend is to test drive another 2011+ mustang with a manual trans and compare. If concerned, take it to a dealer for evaluation.

As for the question, "how can an OEM spec out a transmission with a torque capacity lower than the peak torque an engine produces?" Here's how: and I know this because the my current employer provides transmissions to an OEM manufacturer or two...

First, the torque capacity of each gearset is independent. Meaning that the torque capacity for first gear is different from second, which is different from third, and so on. The spec sheet lists the lowest torque rating of all of the gearsets as the overall torque capacity. Now, when an OEM sends out a quote for a certain application, and the supplier has an off-the-shelf transmission that is close, here's what happens: rather than retooling to upgrade the gearbox at an enormous expense, the OEM and the supplier design team will get together and configure the engine parameters to work within the constraints of the transmissions limitations. In plain English, that means that the OEM can limit the torque production of the engine in certain gears and certain situations. ;-) The OEM still gets to advertise their peak torque value because the engine really does peak at ### ft-lbs in say, fourth gear. But only the OEM and the supplier know that several of the other gears are torque limited by the PCM to a lower threshhold.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Hidden parsing accusations will get you nowhere. Then again, I was schooled on how a simple "ttt" can reap huge rewards...

;)

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I recall reading somewhere (cannot find it ATM) that the Gertag tq rating on the tranny was for a vehicle of 8000 or 9000 lbs. So it would be stronger then it appears as well based on that published 375

Users who are viewing this thread