Need help identifying this connector

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I'm doing an 03 cobra into a 98 cobra motor/trans swap.

I'm using the 98 wiring and computer.

I bought a spare '98' cobra engine harness that has worked perfectly except one connector near the main bulkhead on the passenger side.

It sits between the main connector and the strut tower.

On the 98 harness I used it has 3 wires (blue, white w/pink, black) and a grey plug that is notched slightly differently so it can't be hooked up:
pa020283.jpg

On my original 98 engine haress it has 4 wires (blue, white w/red, red w/yellow, black w/yellow) and a black plug:
pa020284.jpg

I looked at my 96 cobra and it has two wires and the plug is physically compatible with my 98.

Does anyone know what this plug is? I'm 99% sure it goes to the PCM harness. If anyone has any insight I would be most appreciative. This is one of the last things I need to figure out!

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Matt,

My 96 Cobra Schematics show the following wire colors for the O2 sensors:

• Heater Power, all 4: Red
  • Heater Control:
LF - Yellow/Light Blue
RF - Red/White
LR - Tan/Yellow
RR - White/Black​
  • Sensor Reference, all 4: Gray/Red
  • Sensor Data:
LF - Red/Black
RF - Gray/Light Blue
LR - Purple/Light Green
RR - Red/Light Green​

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I scanned the entire Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual and did not see anything with either combination of wire colors. They may have changed their wire colors between years?

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Hey Mark,

Well I'm perplexed!

Tomorrow night I'm going over to the house and I'm going to unwrap the original 98 harness and see if that piece is actually connected or if it is a separate jumper harness wrapped up with the engine harness. If it's a separate jumper I'll just use it and be done. If it's not, at least I'll trace what's on the other end of the wires.

Thanks for all the help so far!

On my 96 the connector only had a black wire and a blue wire.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I think I may have found it, but the colors aren't the same. It looks like it may be the low coolant indicator signal.

In my EVTM, it shows all of the connectors in that neighborhood.

They are:

C130 (Evap Canister Purge Valve) R,GY/Y
C1002 (looks like it connects the same two harnesses together that C104 connects together) LB, Y/R (Connects the Low Engine Coolant switch to a ground wire, Y/R, to the Low Coolant Lamp, LB, in the instrument cluster.) This connector has a plastic holder that sticks into two holes in the fenderwell metal.
C104 (the big square connector with a bolt in it, connects two big harnesses)
C195 (Evap Purge Flow Sensor) R,P/W,BK/W
C106 (the other big connector that connects the two big cables that run across the firewall)
C167 (A/C Clutch Cycling Pressure Switch) P,DB/Y

The Low Engine Coolant Switch is located on the right side of the radiator in the overflow tank, according to the picture. (Too late to go out an look tonight.)
You can probably buzz out the wires. The male side of C1002 should buzz to the same colors at the connector for the Low Engine Coolant switch.

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Hey Mark,

We have a theory that these wires might be a jumper harness for the low coolant sensor up in the radiator overflow. I'm not sure if I'll make it over tonight to check it out but if not, I will tomorrow for sure.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
For anyone that's been reading this thread:

I pulled the original 98 harness apart tonight.

Two of the wires go to the coolant level sender. The other two go to what looks like a smog sensor which sits near the crank position sensor.

I think ultimately I just need to make sure the wires match the pins for the coolant level sender and I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread