need help installing focus fuel pumps

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you've never done it, it is not a simple conversion. Not terribly difficult but it is a bit of work (including wiring modifications). Contact Juiced46 and I'm sure he can give you details that will help. He's done it many times. He even did mine. It helps a lot to have a second set of hands. The most difficult part is disconnecting the harness from the top of the tank. It took Dave and a second guy over a half hour just to drop my tank. The rest of the conversion took maybe another hour. And you have to be sure to get it right the first time or you'll have to drop the tank again. Not a lot of fun.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
It would help to have a second set of hands to help.

To drop the tank.

There are 2 straps holding it on. I believe they are 15mm or 13mm i cant remember off the top of my head. You have to unbolt those and the tank will come down, the fill neck is going to want to hold the tank up on one end. i suggest using a jack to lower it down. The fuel line coming off the tank going to the fuel filter, you need a special fuel line tool to release it. You can disconnect it @ the filter that is the easiest way.

On the passenger side of the tank where there fill neck comes down in the fender there is an 8mm bolt that has to be removed, it holds a small bracket to the tank and the filler. There is also another vacuum line with a small black clip (kinda triangle shaped) in that area that has to be popped out and then you can pull that line off.

To the driver side. There is a vacuum line with a yellow clip holding that on. You need to pop that clip off and pull that vacuum line off. There will be another line right next to it which is just a rubber hose which gets pulled off as well.

The last line you need to disconnect is on the backside above the gas tank kind of near the rear end. It has a white end on it, you just squeeze it and that comes apart. Some of these lines are still attached to the tank that will all come down when you drop the tank.

There is a wiring harness right in front of the tank looking @ it form the back of the car closest to the rear bumper that has to be unplugged.

Now you can lower the tank down. The driver side is going to want to fall while the passenger side wants to stay up because the filler is sticking in it. This is where 2 hands helps. While lowering it have one person push on the tank towards the driver side while pulling the filler out and lowering it.

Once the tank is out you can then remove the bolts that hold the cover for the pumps off of the tank. I believe there are 8 8mm bolts. Remove those. Now you can remove the pumps and the brackets they are clamped to.

remove the pumps and unplugs the harnesses from each. Remove the fuel line that is slipped onto the pump, you will reuse that for the focus pumps.

now onto the wiring the focus pumps.

The harness that clips into the 03 Pumps is different from the Focus. So you have to cut off each harness on the 03 harness that goes to the pump there are 1 for each pump. Now on your focus pump setup cut off that same harness. Cut it far up so you have some wire to work with.

Now just wire those 2 wires into the 2 wires that were cut from the 03 Harness. Solder them and use heat shrink wrap. DO NOT USE ELECTRICAL TAPE. Gasoline will eat away electrical tape.

It sounds like a big project but once you take a look at it, its pretty straight forward. Ill PM you my cell if you need it. its easier to explain it over the phone

Dave

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
You can actually do it without completely dropping the tank out of the car. On the ones I have done, I lower the tank enough to get my arms between it and the trunk floor, remove the loom for the pumps, disconnect the fuel line at the tank, and then remove the pump assembly.
This saves some labor because no more lines than is necessary are removed.
This may not be the answer for everyone though, since it is a little cramped.
And it is still a good idea to have someone else nearby to help balance the tank while it is going in and out, and a floor jack or something similar to support it while the pumps are out.

BTW, running the fuel down as low as possible prior to doing the swap will help.

The remaining instructions provided by Juiced are right on.

I did use fuel injector clamps on the lines when I reconnected them to the pumps though.

Dana

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
You can actually do it without completely dropping the tank out of the car. On the ones I have done, I lower the tank enough to get my arms between it and the trunk floor, remove the loom for the pumps, disconnect the fuel line at the tank, and then remove the pump assembly.
This saves some labor because no more lines than is necessary are removed.
This may not be the answer for everyone though, since it is a little cramped.
And it is still a good idea to have someone else nearby to help balance the tank while it is going in and out, and a floor jack or something similar to support it while the pumps are out.

BTW, running the fuel down as low as possible prior to doing the swap will help.

The remaining instructions provided by Juiced are right on.

I did use fuel injector clamps on the lines when I reconnected them to the pumps though.

Dana

You are right. You can do it w/o completely dropping the tank. But like you said it is a little cramped. Its very simple to disconnect those lines i will remove the tank completely. I have done so many pump swaps, for me its easy.

Also about the fuel injector clamps, i forgot to mention to use those when clamping the lines to the new pumps

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for your help on this Dave. I knew you'd have some good instructions for him. :)

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I dont plan on switching pumps, but I do want to run larger lines from the pumps to injectors. With that in mind, how are the hoses on the tank end of things laid out? What size are the lines that attach to the pumps? Do the lines come together before leaving the tank or after?

primo

Established Member
Are the focus pumps the holy grail? I was thinking of just running the cobra specific 40amp BAP?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by T BAG
Are the focus pumps the holy grail? I was thinking of just running the cobra specific 40amp BAP?
The focus pumps are OK if your just going to run them, but they do not supply as much fuel as stock pumos and a BAP. You cant use the BAP with focus pumps because the wiring cant handle the amperage. The only problem associated with using the bap is that its boost activated and can cause a slight surge. We lose approx 3psi in our stock fuel rails and 7psi in our lines. If you upgrade rails and lines, run stock pumps and a BAP you should be able to feed well over 21psi of boost.

Personally my involvement in this thread is for dropping and getting into tank, I have no plans of replacing pumps unless someone can find a more efficient pump, ie one that flows more but uses less amperage.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Shadow, how do you adapt an aftermarket fuel feed line to the pump end of the car? Also, which size do you plan on using?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I dont plan on switching pumps, but I do want to run larger lines from the pumps to injectors. With that in mind, how are the hoses on the tank end of things laid out? What size are the lines that attach to the pumps? Do the lines come together before leaving the tank or after?
There are several restrictions within the tank. There is a check valve and their fittings, and the fitting sizes on the pumps themselves, but also the outlet fitting on the flange that the pumps mount to and that mounts to the tank.
There is only one exit line that is fed by both pumps. The I.D. of this fitting can be opened up slightly, which I did, but it probably didn't help all that much.

To do it right, you would have to install new fuel line fittings on the tank that are larger than the stock ones. If I rememebr right, they are just slightly larger than 1/4 inch, maybe 5/16.

Dana

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana

To do it right, you would have to install new fuel line fittings on the tank that are larger than the stock ones. If I rememebr right, they are just slightly larger than 1/4 inch, maybe 5/16.

Dana
Yep, thx Dana, thats exactly what I plan on doing. Are there 2 lines comming out of tank or do the lines off the pumps connect prior to exiting the tank? One thing I havent delved into yet is the pumps lines and I kind of want to get a feel for what I will need to replumb fuel system.

predator

Established Member
There is a single line coming out of the top of the tank. The pumps come together inside. There is a short pigtail from the top of the tank to the fuel filter. The rest you can easily see...........

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by predator
There is a single line coming out of the top of the tank. The pumps come together inside. There is a short pigtail from the top of the tank to the fuel filter. The rest you can easily see...........
Great, thx Predator. I should be able to enlarge the single hole through and replace it with a larger fitting and use a larger ID Y-block inside tank. Use a larger check valve outside tank and relocate fuel filter to a more accessible area. Should be pretty straight forward.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
Shadow, how do you adapt an aftermarket fuel feed line to the pump end of the car? Also, which size do you plan on using?
Im looking at this for a winter project and dont have the tank apart yet, but if im not mistaken the lines just clamp onto the pump. Obviously there isnt much I can do about the orafice on the pump itself, BUT here are my initial thoughts.

Im looking at using CPR rails which have an 8AN fitting so I was thinking of using 1/2 line from rails to filter that has 8AN fittings (ie 1/2) and out of filter into 8AN check valve. From there into the tank with a 8AN fitting and then inside tank split via Y block and then down to pumps. Depending on what size the fitting is on the pump will determine what size I run from pump to Y-block.

Users who are viewing this thread