Need help replacing lower crank pulley on 2004 Cobra

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
Is there a "how to" on replacing lower crank pulley on a 2004 Cobra? I hear the bolt is extremely hard to break loose.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
have someone sit in the car with the emergency brake on and their foot pushing as hard as possible on the brake pedal. Take a ratchet and cheater bar and turn as hard as you can to the right (not lefty loosey like most would think) until you get it broken loose.

good luck!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The only way I have ever had luck removing the lower pulley was with a 3 lb mini sledge hammer. The trick is the "Brunt Hit" of the hammer to break it loose.

I have done several this way without a problem.

Here's what I use BTW:

239957.jpg

A few tips to remember is that the thread is "Reverse" like forcefedcobra mentioned. Also, the pulley and "Cage" are 1 piece. You need to remove all the bolts from the "Cage" before you try to break the pulley loose.

Here's what it looks like off to give you an idea of what the thread looks like that you are trying to break loose.
239928.jpg

Here's a picture of the pulley and "Cage" assembly. (Comes off in 1 piece.)
239927.jpg

And a picture of the harmonic balancer after you remove it.
239929.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
Thanks for the pictures and explanations. I'm going to start tomorrow...:banana:

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I used my brother's forehead, but that was right after doing exactly what forcefedcobra says in his post.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I used my brother's forehead, but that was right after doing exactly what forcefedcobra says in his post.

LOL! I think most people have such a problem because they start out like it is a right hand thread and then when they figure out it is left hand thread they have the thing on there so dang tight it is almost impossible to get it off. I was helping my friend at a shop remove one and we had a 4 foot cheater bar on it and when it came loose it sent the shop helper kid into the wall with the cheater bar. LOL!

Good thing for me was my new longblock didnt have the stock lower on it and we forgot to pull the stock lower off the old motor and werent even going to try with it out of the car so we had an easy excuse to put a metco lower on the new motor.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
LOL! I think most people have such a problem because they start out like it is a right hand thread and then when they figure out it is left hand thread they have the thing on there so dang tight it is almost impossible to get it off. I was helping my friend at a shop remove one and we had a 4 foot cheater bar on it and when it came loose it sent the shop helper kid into the wall with the cheater bar. LOL!

Good thing for me was my new longblock didnt have the stock lower on it and we forgot to pull the stock lower off the old motor and werent even going to try with it out of the car so we had an easy excuse to put a metco lower on the new motor.

Ha ha.

MysticVert

Established Member
I got my lower pulley for my first cobra from lightning force performance, they had a 'how to' on their website if memory serves me right...

colors

TERM8TR
Established Member
Everything turned out good. I started using a hammer and a short allen wrench and I wasn't having any luck. Then my buddy put a long floor jack handle on the allen wrench and popped it loose. Thought I was out of the woods, but when I went to put my belt back on it was to short. The Metco kit repositioned the idler to the right of the crank pulley which made my belt to short. I will go to NAPPA and purchase a longer belt and I should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread