Need help roadtripping car stalling

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Hey all, I am moving from San Diego to Dallas and am currently stopped in Tucson.

My car has been in storage for a 9 months (with one month of driving in the middle), and the last two weeks I have been driving it regularly, and got the oil changed. The car was on a nice battery tender.

Drove 450 miles today and was stopped on the highway 100 deg F for 20 min with air conditioning on due to an accident, and the car stalled out after a quick accel. This was after 415 miles of driving through desert. Thought it was weird, but kept driving. Once off the highway the car stalled 5 or 6 more times, and once stopped and re-started it stalled once or twice then too. Once stopped at a light, it simply idles down to zero. Other than that it driver perfect. Not in boost the whole day just cruising.

I also had two messages: one was very brief "check charging system" and the other was low oil pressure, all were during stopping at stop lights.

My mods are the 2.9L, whipple tune, and lightning fuel pumps stock injectors.

My concern is overheating or something? Any thoughts??? Hopefully I can get going tomorrow without problems. Car has 17K miles, and has been flawless otherwise.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Sounds like either the battery isn't reaching a full charge or you have a bad connection (ground) somewhere. I'd find a local station and have them make some quick checks to see if your charging system is operating properly, along with checking for any codes if they can.

Good luck!

Tob

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Tob, thanks for the advice. I found a Autozone today before it closed: no codes, and my battery and alternator are totally ok per their machines.

The car was dipping on idle, but now after cooling off and new gas in the tank, it is back to "normal" with its startup and idle....hopefully I can make it to Dallas and it can go to the dealer.

If not...flatbed and a pissed wife!

rdsnk46

Established Member
Maybe old gas... reflash the cars tune or hit the local perf. shop and double check the tune on the dyno if the problem comes back!

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
what about the MAF, did it get dirty. that would cause stalling too

Users who are viewing this thread