Need Help with Floor Console Install!!

wayoinc128

Established Member
I might be making this harder than it actually is, but i removed the center floor console to fix a broken bracket on my e-brake that caused the ebrake to pull up wayyyy to far, so removing the console was easy since the broke brake gave alot more room to remove it, but now its fixed and i cant figure out how to reinstall the console. anyone have any ideas? i just cant fit it back over the ebrake handle.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Last time I took my center console out and put it back in, I just pulled my E-brake up as high as it would go then maneuvered the center console back around the E-brake. Might have to drop that handle and raise it sharply a few tries to get it back up enough.
It's the E-brake you're having troubles getting the center console back over, right?

wayoinc128

Established Member
Yeah, ive pulled it all the way up, but i cant seem to dip the front end down and forwards enough to get the handle to pop through. Is that what you did? lift the back end high and push it as far towards the front of the car? Ill have to keep trying and keep pulling up on the handle as far as i can get it, but i dont remember having this much trouble on my old 94 gt, but i think the cable was broke on that one so thats probably how i managed with that car.

Do you think its hard to disconnect the e-line under the car, pull the handle up and then reconnect the line tight enough?

Thanks for atleast responding to me!

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Yeah, ive pulled it all the way up, but i cant seem to dip the front end down and forwards enough to get the handle to pop through. Is that what you did? lift the back end high and push it as far towards the front of the car? Ill have to keep trying and keep pulling up on the handle as far as i can get it, but i dont remember having this much trouble on my old 94 gt, but i think the cable was broke on that one so thats probably how i managed with that car.

Do you think its hard to disconnect the e-line under the car, pull the handle up and then reconnect the line tight enough?

Thanks for atleast responding to me!

You know I'd have to verify with my Haynes manuel when I get home. I'm sure that would outline how to do it. I actually used it as a reference when I put my new interior in a couple years ago. I'll chime back in later.

stolher

Live Free
Established Member

QUOTE]

No way should you have to go through that! I have done it several times in my 03. I always just pulled up on the e-brake as hard as I could in a fast motion. It seems to go close to vertical. Giving me just enough wiggle room.
I hope your repair does not limit you from doing that.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Ok. I dug up a pic from the interior swap I did on my car a couple years ago. Found this.
08-01-09_1444.jpg

I don't think I really needed to raise the E-brake much higher than that to get the console on or off.
Anyways, all the Haynes manual says in reference to the center console's removal and what you're asking:
"Apply parking brake, then move the gear selector towards the rear of the vehicle.
Lift the console up and over the shift lever. Disconnect any electrical connections and remove the console from the vehicle."
I think that's about what you already figured though. Maybe you either need to pull that E-brake up higher or examine what you may have done when working on it to make it do that.

Users who are viewing this thread