Need help with high rpm viberation

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Update: I took the transmission back out and took it to a transmission shop to have it checked. They said the end play felt good and it turned smoothly, but there could still be an internal problem. He didn't put a dial gauge on it unfortunately, just played with it for a few minutes by hand.
Anyone tackled a t56 rebuild by themselves at home?

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
The biggest update is that I ran the engine with the transmission out and I can clearly see the clutch wobbling all over. Which eliminates the transmission.

I have the clutch and flywheel out again. They have very odd wear/burn marks on them. Spec says that it's normal and wants me to send it in and buy one of their flywheels.

I pulled the crank pulley off last night and didn't see any rubber deforming from the balancer. I'm going to remove the balancer tonight and inspect it.

Does anyone know how to check to see if the balancer is good once I remove it?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Clutch wobling can definitely be a contributor to the vibration problem, did you use an alignment tool? Ive never had to pull my balancer, hope you figure this out soon!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I believe that as long as the rubber isn't separating the dampner is good. At least that's how I've always done it. There aren't any moving parts to wear out otherwise.

Are you talking about the pressure plate or disc being off center? Nothing should be wobbling around in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
Ya I used the alignment tool and the trans went in smooth.
I took a video, it's wobbling pretty good even at idle. It's definitely not turning smooth.
It appears to be the pressure plate but could be the flywheel too. Which is frustrating because they're both new pieces.

What else could it be? I was hoping to find a messed up balancer but it looks good?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Id definitely address the wobbling issue on the pressure plate. Like i mentioned previously I bought all new parts when i decided to upgrade mine and would've never thought that a brand new part was defective, but my 26 spline input shaft had a slight bent to it and was enough to drive me nuts at high RPM.

Took taking the tranny down 2X before discovering it, Not including taking it down initially to install all the new parts, had to take it down for several other issues TOB, pilot bearing, pivot ball, etc...

hotcobra03

Established Member
I was thinking clutch flywheel out of balance..

Being your post says it does it sitting .

For trans rebuild..

See sticks above. .read before you post..

Open that..scroll down alittle..

Cobra Bob has 5 links..1 is for t56..

cj428mach

Established Member
If you left the clutch and pp installed in the car and started the car the clutch is going to be off center. Unless you bypassed the clutch switch once you pushed the clutch to start the car the disc is going to move off center. Thr input shaft is what holds it centered.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
If the tranny is out, then I would take out the flywheel and clutch assembly, then take to balance shop and have those items checked for proper balance.

Perhaps as a test, you might just remove the pressure plate and clutch disc, then try to create the vibration. If the engine revs smooth, then you know problem is not in engine or flywheel. Then reinstall pressure plate (without clutch disc) and check for vibration again.

These kinds of issues really suck, because they are annoying and sometimes difficult to find. A few years ago, I built a big-block Chevy engine and had it switched from external to internal balance. Should have been an easy job, but the engine shook pretty bad around 3,000 rpm. I took engine all apart and they re-balanced it. It still shook, wtf. I took it back for the third time (each time requiring complete engine dis-assembly), this time I stayed with guy while we weighed everything, put the bobweights together and then put the crank assembly on balancer. It was off balance by 137 grams, un-frakkin' real. The guy couldn't believe it. Anyway, it was finally smooth after this ordeal.

Good luck with yours. Keep digging. You WILL find it.

Users who are viewing this thread