Need info on buying a 5.0

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Hell,

Im thinking of trading in my car for a base 6spd with 3.73's. My car has only 7400 miles but its in service date was 05/10. A new car would extened warranty out to 2018, be brand new, the last model before the platform change. If I could get a halfway decent trade in, I might bite.

why not wait until the 2015 is announced? Can still get a 2014 if you want but gives you the option for a 2015 if you end up liking the changes?

Too40gawlf

Banned
why not wait until the 2015 is announced? Can still get a 2014 if you want but gives you the option for a 2015 if you end up liking the changes?

I see your point. But Im not paying 35K for a 2015. The 2011-2014 are exactly what I want. I could be content with owning mine for 200K miles and 20 years. My only issue is that my car is an early build and has been warrantied for numerous trans issues. Its on its 2nd MT82 and is still making driveline noises. If the 2014 runs perfect I would be completely happy - even if the 2015 has a 500 hp motor and is 200 lbs lighter.

Too40gawlf

Banned
And before someone says it, my driveline issues are not because I cant drive manual. Ive had manual cars for most of my life - including a 96GT and 99GT. The driveline should not clank and chatter when downshifting to 3rd at 50 mph.

In order this is the list of things my car has been warrantied for:

- fly wheel bolts (previous owner)
- clutch pedal (previous owner)
- MT82 tear down and rebuild (previous owner)
- 2 cats
- alternator x2
- MT82 replacement
- scheduled for an appointment for continuind driveline noise

Mind you this my odometer read 7400 miles right now. That history doesnt aspire confidence for a car to keep for years reliably. If I could get a 2014 that runs the way it should with a warranty that goes 5 years out, it would be something to chew on.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
And before someone says it, my driveline issues are not because I cant drive manual. Ive had manual cars for most of my life - including a 96GT and 99GT. The driveline should not clank and chatter when downshifting to 3rd at 50 mph.

In order this is the list of things my car has been warrantied for:

- fly wheel bolts (previous owner)
- clutch pedal (previous owner)
- MT82 tear down and rebuild (previous owner)
- 2 cats
- alternator x2
- MT82 replacement
- scheduled for an appointment for continuind driveline noise

Mind you this my odometer read 7400 miles right now. That history doesnt aspire confidence for a car to keep for years reliably. If I could get a 2014 that runs the way it should with a warranty that goes 5 years out, it would be something to chew on.

I understand where you are coming from. Not obviously hearing it is hard to say, have you driven a different 5.0? That two piece drive shaft makes a lot of clunking noise that will never go away unless you replace the driveshaft with a one piece. Not too say you shouldn't trade in but I think your going to get some kind of clunk/sound from these cars regardless.

I would say if you haven't driven a different 5.0 do so just to compare to your own. Obviously you've had problems though regardless.

Too40gawlf

Banned
I understand where you are coming from. Not obviously hearing it is hard to say, have you driven a different 5.0? That two piece drive shaft makes a lot of clunking noise that will never go away unless you replace the driveshaft with a one piece. Not too say you shouldn't trade in but I think your going to get some kind of clunk/sound from these cars regardless.

I would say if you haven't driven a different 5.0 do so just to compare to your own. Obviously you've had problems though regardless.

Ive driven another 5.0 and realize the driveline is noisy. But the noise coming from my car is not normal operation. The downshift issue is not the driveshaft - its either the trans, flywheel, or clutch.

clean92lx

Established Member
Dealers make more when they finance.
correct,

OP, if your not financing with the dealer, cash doesn't make a difference as they still get all the money from the bank immediately anyway.
Cash does help with negotiating with a private seller which is what I would do if I were you. Dealers are always gonna have higher prices then private party.

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Ive driven another 5.0 and realize the driveline is noisy. But the noise coming from my car is not normal operation. The downshift issue is not the driveshaft - its either the trans, flywheel, or clutch.

the dual mass flywheel on this car makes a loud clunk noise when the drive line is loaded and unloaded. i think thats one of the noises you might be hearing. as for the early builds.. well i dont think that makes any difference. my car was built 11/10

my drive line is noisy. the transmission whines and the drive shafts and flywheel clunk. it has not been to the dealer for anything. car drives perfect.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
the dual mass flywheel on this car makes a loud clunk noise when the drive line is loaded and unloaded. i think thats one of the noises you might be hearing. as for the early builds.. well i dont think that makes any difference. my car was built 11/10

my drive line is noisy. the transmission whines and the drive shafts and flywheel clunk. it has not been to the dealer for anything. car drives perfect.

This was my point and why I said to drive another 5.0 to compare. Mine is almost as old/is as old as yours. I forget the build date but was late 2010 and when I pulled the stock mani for the boss mani yesterday 06/10/10 was written on the engine. My transmission only whines in first gear with the radio off and if you listen really hard. Kind of hard to hear it over the exhaust alone, muchless with the radio on. Mostly whine in 1st gear on deceleration.

It also clunks a lot. I never took it to the dealer for this though as I had test driven a different 5.0 than the one I purchased and it did the same clunking. I'll be honest when I first got the car I never joined any forums so I never knew exactly what all might be clunking. Seems to be pretty normal for the 2011+ mustangs to do a lot of clunking.

I just thankfully don't have any whine from the 3.73 FRPP gears I had installed. I've heard that whine and I am thankful I don't have it.

Sorry for the derail, although hopefully it is helpful info for the OP if they are going to pick up a used 5.0 :D

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Haven't read many of the other comments yet, but if you are paying cash why not go private party? Will end up saving yourself money in the end and the hassle of having to deal with the dealership

dealership costs > private party

private parties generally selling cars are looking for extra money, and quickly... therefore with cash you have more room to finagle, whereas a dealer is only going to sell if they are making profit off it.

angelofrat42

Established Member
I appreciate all of the responses! i was looking at a 2013 race red MT6 with 373s for around 27k out the door at a dealership in vegas but we will see what happens. I really need the car to have a warranty...

Too40gawlf

Banned
I appreciate all of the responses! i was looking at a 2013 race red MT6 with 373s for around 27k out the door at a dealership in vegas but we will see what happens. I really need the car to have a warranty...

OP,

Buy something out in the DC area and I will drive it out to you in AZ :-D

Seriously, my folks live in SoCal, I'll have them come pick me up hen I drop your car off.

saunupe1911

Established Member
I dont know why this nugget of bum scoop keeps getting tossed around. Dealers give two shits about cash. They make $$$ financing yokels and even more $$$ servicing them. From the dealer's perspective cash is a sucker's bet.

True! But not in all circumstances, especially with volume dealers. I've dealt with salesman who will do almost anything to make that last sell of the day to get that bonus. But yeah they won't you to finance. During my negotiations, I've let them think we are financing the entire with one of their refereed banks, then boom I tell themI'm pre-approved through my credit union. Let's get this paper work moving lol

Too40gawlf

Banned
True! But not in all circumstances, especially with volume dealers. I've dealt with salesman who will do almost anything to make that last sell of the day to get that bonus. But yeah they won't you to finance. During my negotiations, I've let them think we are financing the entire with one of their refereed banks, then boom I tell themI'm pre-approved through my credit union. Let's get this paper work moving lol

Lol. Thats the way to do it.

As far as getting the sale - thats the individual salesman hustling for his numbers. Agian, he doesnt care if you pay cash. The only time they might care is that if you cant get approved for credit but have cash outright (a huge rarity). So of course in that istance, they would rather take a cash sale than no sale.

greenscobie86

Established Member

Haha thats the way I did it too. Better rates and they're left holding the "empty" bag so to speak.

Also FWIW, my 2013 clunks too, its just the nature of these cars I think. I cant complain though, got mine cheap hahaha.

Too40gawlf

Banned
Haha thats the way I did it too. Better rates and they're left holding the "empty" bag so to speak.

Also FWIW, my 2013 clunks too, its just the nature of these cars I think. I cant complain though, got mine cheap hahaha.

Im OK with clunks. But the clattering on downshifts is not kosher. Im afraid, flywheel bolts are backing out.

Rdrcr

Established Member
OP,

If you play your cards right, you can find a new base 300A 6spd for about 27.5K out the door. Put down about 20, finance the rest and pay it off in a year or two and enjoy the 5 yr 60K drivetrain warranty.

Im not opposed to buying a good condition used car, but if youre sitting on 23K cash, might as well go with a brand new car for about 5K more.

Agreed.

I just paid a hair more than that with the Brembo package and 3.73's.

Mike

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I worked at a dealership, a greedy one , our finance managers hated cash deals, why because they made no money on them. Its all about selling to customers with with good credit like a 700 score or folks with a 550-650 score. we would get them in at a rate of say %3 then we would book them at %5. On $50,000 car thats big money to be made. 800 + scores always got the best rate unless we thought they were stupid enough to not realize a couple of extra points. I sold an $85,000 corvette z06, it was a cash deal! those finance guys were pissed, they didn't make a dime, I made $600.00 on the deal. Its a dirty business that capitalizes on customers lack of knowledge. I got out of it and have had many job offers since but i never went back to it!

Too40gawlf

Banned
I worked at a dealership, a greedy one , our finance managers hated cash deals, why because they made no money on them. Its all about selling to customers with with good credit like a 700 score or folks with a 550-650 score. we would get them in at a rate of say %3 then we would book them at %5. On $50,000 car thats big money to be made. 800 + scores always got the best rate unless we thought they were stupid enough to not realize a couple of extra points. I sold an $85,000 corvette z06, it was a cash deal! those finance guys were pissed, they didn't make a dime, I made $600.00 on the deal. Its a dirty business that capitalizes on customers lack of knowledge. I got out of it and have had many job offers since but i never went back to it!

Do people do it part time? I'd like to try to sell cars without having the pressue of it being my day job. I dont want to work at a dirty dealership trying to take people, but I like cars and think I could do OK at a decent place.

Users who are viewing this thread