Need some advice

5Eight0shelby

SVT poster
Established Member
Well i arrived Home after being gone for a week for work. Got up the Next morning to wash my wifes and my car and noticed what looked like heavy dust? Well after washing i realized that the stuff is not coming off, what i thought was dust. So i ask my wife what she has been doing the last couple of days. Which i figured out what it was before i asked. So she say's not much why. Well i directed her to the cars to show her what i have discovered. Now the light comes on! Go figure! Well i get the ansewer and its was a very sad day after i found out what she has done :fm:. She was spray painting some old Bed, head board an frame. Well the over spray traveled 40yrds and covered our cars. Now i wasn't looking forward to this when i get home from a long trip. So im here to see what i can do resolve this problem. I have clayed it with the Nano skin autoscub and most of it came off. As far as decals that are on my car it looks like its imbedded into the decal. Any info will help ease the pain thanks!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
OUCH! Clay is usually the best option to remove over-spray. While this video is aimed at care (rather than "repair") of vinyl stripes, there are some good tips about using (something like) Adam's Fine Machine Polish or Brilliant Glaze to clean and "correct" vinyl stripes.

It doesn't help after-the-fact, I keep my stripes dressed with Adam's SVRT, which looks good and prevents just about anything from sticking to them. (I admit to never testing its ability with spray paint.)

If all else fails, our vinyl stripes can be replaced...

Last edited:

5Eight0shelby

SVT poster
Established Member
OUCH! Clay is usually the best option to remove over-spray. While this video is aimed at care (rather than "repair") of vinyl stripes, there are some good tips about using (something like) Adam's Fine Machine Polish or Brilliant Glaze to clean and "correct" vinyl stripes.

It doesn't help after-the-fact, I keep my stripes dressed with Adam's SVRT, which looks good and prevents just about anything from sticking to them. (I admit to never testing its ability with spray paint.)

YA.. they can be replaced but i would go the route of painting my strips back on vs. a sticker. But will try what you mentioned. Thanks! :beer:

03svtwantob

Established Member
Try using goog off or goo gone on a spot. This should take it off.

This should work but use very little on your rag. This stuff will also loosen then decals too. Could also try laquer thinner. Very little bit on rag. Not sure how it would affect the decal. Try small spot to test it may discolor them and can loosen decal too. Also be carefull of the paint with this if it is factory paint it wont harm it but if it has been painted it can soften the clear.

5Eight0shelby

SVT poster
Established Member
Ya i didn't feel right about the goo gone stuff. I have seen what that stuff does to other things. I couldn't imagin on my car. Im in the process of trying some VRT like Norton has mention. Its not really bad its just that i know its there. I'm very picky about stuff like that. The devil in the details!! :beer:

Zemedici

Established Member

This. I am apprenticing under a professional detailer, and we fixed an overspreay insurance job just last week. Clay is the best option. Need to dedicate about a full day to get it done right.

Users who are viewing this thread