Need some help with a power steering line

arc00ta

Established Member
I figured I would ask here because no dealer or shop I have called has been any help.

Backstory:
My steering rack bushings were pretty much disintegrated when I got the car, and this caused the PS lines to flex on the pump every time the wheels were turned (the whole rack was moving side to side). I discovered it was leaking, and removed the line, put a new o-ring and tightened it back up. It was good up until it got cold in the last week or so. Now it started leaking really badly when its cold at night, no problems when the car is warm and running.

I know its the hard line that is on the right facing the pump, which is not the pressure line (return line?). The problem I'm having is I don't have any idea where it goes, just a vague notion of the hydroboost setup and the dealer is telling me the line that connects to the pump itself is discontinued. I can't see down around there well enough to tell them if they are looking up the right part or not. I really need to get that line fixed, it goes through a quart of fluid in about 2 days.

Can anyone point me at a picture/parts breakdown or something that can tell me the name of the line I want? I'm afraid to call some place like Tousley Ford because I had a local shop order the line when I first discovered it was leaking and after 3 weeks of waiting for it to get shipped it was the wrong one.

hotcobra03

Established Member
go to tousleys web site...open it....it has oem part numbers,pics,prices...than call steve after you have choosen the hose you want...anything else is a waste of time...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
go to tousleys web site...open it....it has oem part numbers,pics,prices...than call steve after you have choosen the hose you want...anything else is a waste of time...

This.

Plus if you can take a picture of it and email it or link it so that Steve can see it, that will take the accuracy to another level.

If it is leaking at the fitting he may be able to get you the teflon o-ring(s) that go on the fitting, which is a very common cause of power steering leaks on cars that have been worked on.

TRBO VNM

This.

Plus if you can take a picture of it and email it or link it so that Steve can see it, that will take the accuracy to another level.

If it is leaking at the fitting he may be able to get you the teflon o-ring(s) that go on the fitting, which is a very common cause of power steering leaks on cars that have been worked on.

If that is the problem, napa has them for under a buck each.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If it is the teflon o-ring, soak it in hot water prior to install to soften it. They are still going to be a bear, but it makes life a little easier if that little bugger is a more pliable.

Don't pay attention to the part numbers in the spreadsheet. They don't help you track down the Ford #'s, unfortunately.

Last edited:

arc00ta

Established Member

Tousley website does not list the 03-04 Cobra specific line.

Its not the teflon. The line itself is no longer completely round where it passes through the nut. It seems like it gets wedged or expands to the point where it seals but when it cools off it leaks again.

This is very helpful, I can't see where the lines go around the block on the car so I wasn't sure which one to tell them.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Tousley website does not list the 03-04 Cobra specific line.

Its not the teflon. The line itself is no longer completely round where it passes through the nut. It seems like it gets wedged or expands to the point where it seals but when it cools off it leaks again.

This is very helpful, I can't see where the lines go around the block on the car so I wasn't sure which one to tell them.

than use this..than look again on tousley

Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
example pic from site,,,you will find more pics ,,,look at prices...steve will be close to half off,,,

pic.jpg

arc00ta

Established Member
2R3Z3490AA,,1st part in pic 300.00....from steve,,,196.00

I didn't know about that ford parts site, thanks. Thats all I needed was a good picture of it. I guess the dealer was lying to me when they said the 03-04 had a different setup because the part number they gave me didn't come up at all, he kept putting me on hold so he could go "check", seemed like he didn't want to deal with it at all.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I didn't know about that ford parts site, thanks. Thats all I needed was a good picture of it. I guess the dealer was lying to me when they said the 03-04 had a different setup because the part number they gave me didn't come up at all, he kept putting me on hold so he could go "check", seemed like he didn't want to deal with it at all.

remember if you need a part thats not a auto parts store thing in motorcraft...try steve first,,,you will see his prices will be lower than even on his site but only with a phone call and mention of being a member on svtperformance...

on this site you will also find a factory ford service manual download,,it will be very helpful for you for any work thinkable to do on your cobra,,

if your not a pc geek service manual download might be hard to get to work,,its 50/50'''

this will work also ,,,and instant to use

Gale Cengage Product Failure

Users who are viewing this thread