Need some help with lawn

tdschst

Established Member
I've looked up some of the threads on here and have gotten some ideas but was seeking a little more advice as to my situation. It's my gfs moms yard. My gfs step father passed away last year and grass hasn't been taken seriously for quite sometime. This year I'm going to try to bring it back to life for her. Some people have told me to just resod it but does it really need it? Can it be saved from it's present state. I understand it takes 1-2 years or longer, I'm looking for a start and where I should go from there. I read that for seeding you want to do it in the fall, I've also been told to lay seed, then topsoil, then more seed, is this right? Any help is much appreciated!

This is the front between the sidewalk and street. There used to be a tree there years back and from my understanding they haven't been able to get grass to grow there for quite some time. The roots clogged a drainage line for the house and they had them removed, I guess they would pour Draino and what not down the drains so maybe a cause?
photo.jpg

These next two are shots of the roots still in the ground, I'm sure I'd have to dig those out and level it
photo1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

This is looking from the sidewalk to the house. I'm not positive but there may have been a tree here at one time. The ground is a little unlevel.
photo3.jpg

This is the backyard. The grass is fairly healthy besides the dead spots, from the looks of it to me but I'm no expert. There is three dogs here and I'm sure it's brown from them.
photo2.jpg

MysticRob

Established Member
Just buy some cheap seed, rake out the dead stuff, dig up the roots and whatever else is in the way, then just throw the seed down with just a bit of dirt to cover. Keep it watered and it should look great in about 3 weeks. I did the same thing and the lawn looked great a month later.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a section (about 20' X 15') of my yard that look just like that after I had a tree removed. I ended up have the exposed root remnant ground up by a tree service, had some top soil spread, and then seeded. That was last September/October. Today, that area looks just as good as the rest of my lawn.

fangstang

Established Member
Its recommended to seed and fertilize your lawn in the fall. If you have weeds, spread some lime.If not, you can put some topsoil where its needed.Till the soil. Fertilize. Spread seeds. Rake the seeds to spread them and inbed them in the soil and grass. Water. Dont buy the ultra cheap seeds. They have too many fillers and wont sprout as well.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
i'd recommend air-raiding and over seeding------start fresh
i'd also do what i could to get as much of that root out as well. could have a disease in it now which could kill off the new grass.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You mean aerating? :lol:

I'll admit I had to read that slowly before I got it...:lol1:

Seed and user starter fertilizer to help promote seed growth and water it as much as possible. I use Pennington K31 Tall Fescue on my yard because it is economical and easy to maintain.

svtaddict

Established Member
Just buy some cheap seed, rake out the dead stuff, dig up the roots and whatever else is in the way, then just throw the seed down with just a bit of dirt to cover. Keep it watered and it should look great in about 3 weeks. I did the same thing and the lawn looked great a month later.

like he said take a thatch rake to it and pull all the dead stuff off with it.

Users who are viewing this thread