Need some input on a tough decision

Tkaugh29

Established Member
Need help deciding on rims.

So currently my car has 19" Iforged Aero Rims.

I dont like the 19's ...I want 18's. But I cant decide if I want to go big (price wise) and get trueforged rims which would be roughly $5500 or more shipped to my door, with tires. I was looking at the trueforged Chicanes powdercoated black with a red lip, which i think would look really good on my car.

Or if I want to get the AFS reps 18's by 9/10.5 which would be about 2500 shipped to my door, including tires.

I cant really justify spending that much on rims (>5500) but I dont know if i will regret not getting custom rims. To me the cost isnt really an issue, like I do have the money, but im not sure if Id regret spending that much on rims, or if id regret not getting custom rims...

Any help or diffferent perspectives? thanks

Also here is a pic of my car with my current rims. How much you think I could sell them for? 19" iforged aero rims, 9/10 condition, very very good condtion with a minor knick on 2 rims., only got about 11,000 miles on them, they come with tires that have about 70% tread.

cobra.jpg

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
CCWs make me feel tingly in special places... I prefer the 505a nut they all look good.

Ratchet

Established Member
I was gonna get the Chicanes for mine when I have the money. But now I am leaning towards the RS Ten's by TF. You can get them for around 3k I think without tires. I think the ones you have on there now look pretty good. What are you expecting to get for them just for curiosity sake? I wish I had some coin. Mine need an upgrade. I like the FR 500's but it needs a change. Wheels are never an easy decision...lol:beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I love the look of those 19's on your car. A lot of people here will disagree, but I feel that 19" is the perfect scale for this body style. I have 18" chicanes, and sometimes wich they were 19". With the 5 spoke style like you have, I have also seen pics of cars running 20" rear, with 19" front, and thought that looked really perfect, because it gave it a nice raked look. Only real issue with the larger rims is weight, and lack of good tire selection.

Now to address your question... I think that you have no choice, but to go with another high end type of rim, because you will be greatly disappointed in the lack of quality you will get for the cheaper price range. If you are interested in going with some chrome 18" rims, though, I have a mint set, that I took off for my Chicanes. They were bought brand new, and used for one season, mostly just driving to shows, and such, and have never seen a drop of rain! If you like them, hit me up with a pm, and we can work something out. They are all boxed up sitting in my basement.

here is a link to my ad for them.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...046-18-split-spoke-chrome-staggered-rims.html

Tkaugh29

Established Member
I was gonna get the Chicanes for mine when I have the money. But now I am leaning towards the RS Ten's by TF. You can get them for around 3k I think without tires. I think the ones you have on there now look pretty good. What are you expecting to get for them just for curiosity sake? I wish I had some coin. Mine need an upgrade. I like the FR 500's but it needs a change. Wheels are never an easy decision...lol:beer:

Thank you, I agree they do look very good. But when it comes to performance 19" rims are bullshit. I never track my car, but the odd time on the street a car wants to race I could loose to a civic because ill be spinning into 3rd, not even giving it full throttle. Id much prefer 18's. Not to mention shitty tire selection for 19's.

If/when I sell my wheels, Im not sure what I'd expect to get, it was part of my question in my OP because I really have no clue. I know they are high end rims, so Maybe I could get 2500-3000 shipped (with tires included). What you guys think.

Tkaugh29

Established Member
I love the look of those 19's on your car. A lot of people here will disagree, but I feel that 19" is the perfect scale for this body style. I have 18" chicanes, and sometimes wich they were 19". With the 5 spoke style like you have, I have also seen pics of cars running 20" rear, with 19" front, and thought that looked really perfect, because it gave it a nice raked look. Only real issue with the larger rims is weight, and lack of good tire selection.

Now to address your question... I think that you have no choice, but to go with another high end type of rim, because you will be greatly disappointed in the lack of quality you will get for the cheaper price range. If you are interested in going with some chrome 18" rims, though, I have a mint set, that I took off for my Chicanes. They were bought brand new, and used for one season, mostly just driving to shows, and such, and have never seen a drop of rain! If you like them, hit me up with a pm, and we can work something out. They are all boxed up sitting in my basement.

here is a link to my ad for them.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...046-18-split-spoke-chrome-staggered-rims.html

Thanks for you input! I appreciate it.

As for your wheels, if I went chrome I would get the AFS reps. Im not really a fan of any other chrome rims. Thanks for the offer though and good luck with your sale.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
CCW Chicanes? You mean True Forged? Or CCW makes chicanes also?

If it was me, I'd leave these for show/cruising and get a set of drag wheels, but thats just me, I think your current wheels look SEX! But if you have the choice between the two, I'd probably pick custom wheels over AFS replicas, IMO they are too common (especially you said price isnt a subject to a certain extent) you could also find a possibly slightly used set in good condition for less then 5500$, but I assume shipping will be expensive!

Tkaugh29

Established Member
CCW Chicanes? You mean True Forged? Or CCW makes chicanes also?

If it was me, I'd leave these for show/cruising and get a set of drag wheels, but thats just me, I think your current wheels look SEX! But if you have the choice between the two, I'd probably pick custom wheels over AFS replicas, IMO they are too common (especially you said price isnt a subject to a certain extent) you could also find a possibly slightly used set in good condition for less then 5500$, but I assume shipping will be expensive!

Haha Yes, My bad! I mean Trueforged, not CCW.

The thing is I never drag my car, so drag wheels wouldnt really be an legit option for me. Yeah, used wheels would be a another option, im definately not against it if I could find a good set. But then Id have to pay to get them powdercoated, which im not sure how much costs around here.
I was talking with steve at trueforged and he said he could get me a set of chicanes, custom powdercoated to my liking and with tires, shipped for under $5000, BUT that was only to the continental US; I am in Canada about 3 hours from the border, and I dont have a US address to ship to. So I would need to get them shipped to my door, which would up the cost significantly im sure.

Thanks for you input vlad

black 10th vert

Established Member
Another option to consider... you could try to find someone near the border who wanted to swap wheels, or even someone that was willing to be a shipping drop for you, then you could drive down and get them. Maybe throw the guy a case of his favorite beer, or something for his trouble.

jm35ny

Established Member
I totally agree with blackvert, that 19" wheels look best and fit our wheel wells on our car. Probably not the best for the 1/4 mile though.

2001blkR

Established Member
You could get polished tf's to save a lil. 3 piece 18x10.5 and 18x9's and tires ran me a little over 3600.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I agree with the CCW crowd. Talk about quality wheels. I have the SP500's and I like them alot. I also agree with going with 18's I think they are about as big of a wheel I would put on these cars. Op I felt the same way as you did about spending the money but once I saw the CCW's on the car I knew I made the right choice. Good luck making up your mind.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
your ride looks just right... those wheels that you currently have on are sweet; you must have some extra $$$ to spend... LOL!

Tkaugh29

Established Member
I totally agree with blackvert, that 19" wheels look best and fit our wheel wells on our car. Probably not the best for the 1/4 mile though.

The thing is they dont fit our car very well. I mean when I have any passengers in the car and go over a big hump in the road the wheels rub on the fenders. And ive exhausted almost every option to prevent the rubbing. Really the only thing left to do is get a smaller profile tire, which I dont want to do. But I know lots of people have made 19 inch wheels work.

Tkaugh29

Established Member
I agree with the CCW crowd. Talk about quality wheels. I have the SP500's and I like them alot. I also agree with going with 18's I think they are about as big of a wheel I would put on these cars. Op I felt the same way as you did about spending the money but once I saw the CCW's on the car I knew I made the right choice. Good luck making up your mind.

thanks for your comment!

Users who are viewing this thread