Need some MACA muscle

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
AA Courts are Pro-Tenant in nature, and very difficult to deal with...
Then AA County should be providing the free housing for this tenant...

Jason has his estate and his credit rating to protect. Apparently AA doesn't give a crap about that. What an F'ED UP policy.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
Toss it all you want!!!! Have a smash fest!!! Furniture left in the house at the time of eviction is considered abandoned. She had plenty of notice to remove it and chose to leave it there.

- False

Landlord - Tenant Information

"An eviction is only legal if a deputy sheriff is present, and that officer’s sole responsibility is to keep the peace. A landlord is responsible for providing an adequate number of movers and exercising reasonable care in removing a tenant’s property from a location. Under most circumstances, if a landlord has failed to provide enough movers to conclude an eviction within 2 hours, the eviction will be rescheduled."

"A tenant is usually permitted to remain on scene until all property is removed so long as he/she is not hindering the activities. All personal property except that which may pose a public safety threat is to be placed on the curb of the nearest public roadway and once there it is the tenant’s responsibility to safeguard the property. Once the eviction is completed, the removal of any unclaimed or abandoned property becomes the landlord’s responsibility."

But I'm sure the lawman present at the time will also make that quite clear.

Jason has his estate and his credit rating to protect. Apparently AA doesn't give a crap about that. What an F'ED UP policy.

+1

I agree with that... My wife's father owned a apartment building in DC and their laws protect the tenant far more than the landlord... evictions could take up to a year.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
that bitch

My thoughts exactly. Now I'm sitting here at work when I could be muching on some wings and beer courtesy of Doyle lol.

Seriously, who makes up these laws? Jason owns the property and the tenant pays to live there. You don't pay, you don't live there anymore. Isn't that what a lease agreement is for?

A guy in my office was talking earlier about something similar. He said if someone who rented from him refused to pay, he'd shut off the utilities to the house and take the front door off the hinges. I wonder if something like that is legal?

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
My thoughts exactly. Now I'm sitting here at work when I could be muching on some wings and beer courtesy of Doyle lol.

Seriously, who makes up these laws? Jason owns the property and the tenant pays to live there. You don't pay, you don't live there anymore. Isn't that what a lease agreement is for?

A guy in my office was talking earlier about something similar. He said if someone who rented from him refused to pay, he'd shut off the utilities to the house and take the front door off the hinges. I wonder if something like that is legal?

I got screwed on the water already. Shut off notice was for the 15th and she didn't pay. I called the city of Annapolis to find out what the deal is. Well, I'm on the hook for the bill since I own the property and ulitmately responsible.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
- False

Landlord - Tenant Information

"An eviction is only legal if a deputy sheriff is present, and that officer’s sole responsibility is to keep the peace. A landlord is responsible for providing an adequate number of movers and exercising reasonable care in removing a tenant’s property from a location. Under most circumstances, if a landlord has failed to provide enough movers to conclude an eviction within 2 hours, the eviction will be rescheduled."

"A tenant is usually permitted to remain on scene until all property is removed so long as he/she is not hindering the activities. All personal property except that which may pose a public safety threat is to be placed on the curb of the nearest public roadway and once there it is the tenant’s responsibility to safeguard the property. Once the eviction is completed, the removal of any unclaimed or abandoned property becomes the landlord’s responsibility."

But I'm sure the lawman present at the time will also make that quite clear.

+1

I agree with that... My wife's father owned a apartment building in DC and their laws protect the tenant far more than the landlord... evictions could take up to a year.

All that info is great on paper and on the net, it comes in the cute little packet when you apply for a rental license. After talking with the sheriff today at length, all of his concern is for a peaceful eviction, and if things get damaged then things get damaged. He's not their to babysit and see if I scratch something, drop something, or accidentally break something and slap me on the wrist.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Go ask the court if it's ok for you to not pay the mortgage and utility notes also. That's absolutely ridiculous...... "Oh, you can't pay? We'll take care of that mean landlord for you... can't believe he actually expects you to pay on time every month... ridiculous."
:fm::fm:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Lawyer just called me, he found out she has a bankruptcy hearing with Target National and Capital One on the 20th in Anne Arundel District Court. How convenient?

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member

I actually saw a case like this on one of those TV courtroom shows. The landlord removed the front door, but the delinquent tenant actually stayed there for another 3+ months...until it got too cold!!

All of those shows should probably be called "The Dregs of Society".

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Lawyer just called me, he found out she has a bankruptcy hearing with Target National and Capital One on the 20th in Anne Arundel District Court. How convenient?

:nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

There's no way you're getting your money, but the courts told her they could stay? Unbelievable.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

This is total BS. So after living in your house free for 3 months, she's going to get off scott free by filing for bankruptcy? Then how long after that does she get to live in the house because she has no money?

There has got to be a way for you to go to the same judge she used for the stay of eviction, explain the entire deal, and somehow get her out of your house ASAP. Can't believe she can go to court and postpone the eviction without you being notified before the ruling, or given the chance to be present at the hearing.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I just filed today and if I am awarded judgement, then I can try to garnish wages or file again for any future tax return money.

You don't pay your mortgage, you get foreclosed on and throw out!

If you don't pay your credit card, they send you to collections and shut off the card.

You don't pay your car note, they re-possess the vehicle.

Don't pay your rent and you can stay till you find a place that suits you.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
This is total BS. So after living in your house free for 3 months, she's going to get off scott free by filing for bankruptcy? Then how long after that does she get to live in the house because she has no money?

There has got to be a way for you to go to the same judge she used for the stay of eviction, explain the entire deal, and somehow get her out of your house ASAP. Can't believe she can go to court and postpone the eviction without you being notified before the ruling, or given the chance to be present at the hearing.

She has until the 30th and that's it, that's what the stay of eviction states. Now, if she refuses to leave I have another eviction date for August 4th!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'm not all about bashing the ladies property either, but I think allowing her to stay is a load of crap.

Is it legal to cut power and water to the house or no?

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I'm not all about bashing the ladies property either, but I think allowing her to stay is a load of crap.

Is it legal to cut power and water to the house or no?

Already inquired!

Water - legally a landlord must provide water to the residence and if the bill it not paid by the tenants it is still the responsibilty of the landlord.

Electricity is another issue, the landlord is not responsible and must be paid by the tenant. Only the tenant can turn off the elctricity. If she vacates the property and does not pay the ulitilty she has to get electricity turned on at a new residence. She has to pay and can get screwed by BGE.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Interesting. So what are your rights in this situation then? I've always been wary of purchasing a rental property for reasons like this, and after this post I am now even more so.

I understand the states desire to prevent someone from becoming homeless, or stuck at a house without water, but I wonder how much these laws were thought through. I can understand them a little better if it's an individual (tenant) vs some company, but when it's just one person that's swinging two mortgages the situation changes. If they push-off the eviction for to long they run the risk (potentially anyway) of the landlord being unable to make mortgage and allowing the property to fall into forclosure. So now instead of one person with ruined finances, they have two.

It seems to me like the law should be amended for cases where the landlord is just another family with a second home that they rent out, as opposed to a company, or maybe even a family with several rental properties. In any case, it sounds like the law needs some more granularity.

Sorry you are stuck with this man, but if anything it's just further convinced me NOT to buy a second property for the purpose of renting it out.

Users who are viewing this thread