Need some pretty rapid help

DJ Drager

Established Member
Hey everyone,

I have been on here for a while, but this is my first posting. My 03 Vert has been doing the overheating thing for the past few days. I replaced a thermostat a few months back, and on Friday, I had a boilover which left me with no coolant in the reservior or radiator. I replaced the thermostat again with a failsafe thermostat, and same problem. I started getting steam coming off the back of the radiator and engine, which is leading me to believe the water pump is shot. There appears to be circulation of water through the system, but the only thing left that I have to do is the water pump. The fan assembly was replaced a few months back as well, when I did the thermostat, since the original motor froze up on me.

What I need to find out is the easiest way to get the water pump off. Are there any tricks that you guys can suggest to make it easier, since I will be doing this in my driveway, with the car on ramps? I am thinking the serpentine tensioner has to come off, since that looks to be the easiest way to get to the belt under it and the pulley for the pump.

I need to get this job done TODAY, so any help would greatly be appreciated

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Where are you filling your coolant in from?

(This question mostly answers lots of cooling system ****ups)

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
yes if you have air in the system it will over heat. most people dont burp the system enough from the coolant cross over.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
You guys got any tips on burping the system for him? Or maybe where to fill it to avoid the problem.

Good luck.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
If you burp the system and it still doesn't work, do a block tester, they rent them at Autozone. It could be a head gasket, they are rare, but it seems like a lot of cars have had them recently. Also, once the car is warm and circulating coolant, squeeze the upper hose and let go, you should be able to feel if there is flow before you replace the water pump.

DJ Drager

Established Member
I have burped it, replaced the cooling fan, as it was bad, and now I am still getting the puking coolant. Im doing the burping process again tonight in the dark with it cooler outside to see if that helps cool the engine faster and break up bubbles.

I posted in the Terminator section as well since that is the year I have

Im just stumped as to what it is :shrug:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Just because the upper hose is warm doesn't mean that you are getting flow. If you are boiling coolant, it will transfer heat to the other coolant. You need it to be flowing through the radiator and transfering heat out. You have to squeeze the hose almost shut and let go, you should feel the surge if the pump is good. The water pump doesn't go very often, it is a direct drive shaft off the pulley, not really much to go wrong. Mine did all the things yours is doing and I have a leaking head gasket. Check your exhaust for coolant.

DJ Drager

Established Member
Ill condense what I posted on the Terminator side. I had to get the car at a minimum of 20 degrees downangle for the last of the air to come out. Once it did, I put over a quart more water into it before I had water in the funnel. This is the last time I listen to a Ford tech who tells me to do it on level ground. I just didnt have anyone to spot me to back up on my Rhino Ramps

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Ill condense what I posted on the Terminator side. I had to get the car at a minimum of 20 degrees downangle for the last of the air to come out. Once it did, I put over a quart more water into it before I had water in the funnel. This is the last time I listen to a Ford tech who tells me to do it on level ground. I just didnt have anyone to spot me to back up on my Rhino Ramps

Level ground is fine.

User error is where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread