Need to cut down on brake dust with these white wheels....

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Did a search on this, but there really wasn't a clear thread on this subject. Do ceramic pads create the least amount of brake dust? If so what brand or do I need to go with something different?

Thanks

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I haven't changed pads yet on my Cobra, buy Hawk pads on my old LS1 Z28 dusted like you wouldn't believe. I used ceramic pads in the front and there was virtually no brake dust.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by SaleenCobra
Racerat: What Type of Hawk pads are they?
1994-03 Cobra (Hawk High Performance HPS pads)
Here's a description from diskbrakesrus.com:
"The Quietest, Virtually noise free,Best Stopping Power,Extremly Low Dusting,Best Fade Resistant
HPS High Performance"

Don't know how true that is, but I like the pads so far.

gunsfan1

Banned
Originally posted by unit213
I haven't changed pads yet on my Cobra, buy Hawk pads on my old LS1 Z28 dusted like you wouldn't believe. I used ceramic pads in the front and there was virtually no brake dust.

another vote here for ceramic pads. I am running Raybestos quiet stops on the front of my car and have almost no dust or noise...

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I had white powdercoated 17x8 and 17x10.5 wheels on an '01 GT. I never had brake dust issues on that car. I have noticed however that even though my wheels on my Cobra are dark they still gain a lot of brake dust. I would have to say the brake pads are different material between the two cars or it may come from the larger brake setup on the Cobra. I would be interestd to see if the pads are made from all the same materials for both the GT and the Cobra and if they are I would have to chalk it up to the bigger Cobra brakes. I don't know which type of pads give off less dust, so I can't help much. I coated my white wheels with car wax and it seemed to help them stay clean from dirt and road crap even longer and made cleaning them WAY easier.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I have Hawk HP pads on front and rear. There is alot more dust on the front compared to stock but the back seems less dust than stock. They squeek a good bit also, but they stop like a mofo.

jason

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by 2thman
I have Hawk HP pads on front and rear. There is alot more dust on the front compared to stock but the back seems less dust than stock. They squeek a good bit also, but they stop like a mofo.

jason
hmmm...I have less dust and less squeak than stock. Maybe it's because I changed my rotors too? :shrug:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by Torch Red 10th
I had white powdercoated 17x8 and 17x10.5 wheels on an '01 GT. I never had brake dust issues on that car. I have noticed however that even though my wheels on my Cobra are dark they still gain a lot of brake dust. I would have to say the brake pads are different material between the two cars or it may come from the larger brake setup on the Cobra. I would be interestd to see if the pads are made from all the same materials for both the GT and the Cobra and if they are I would have to chalk it up to the bigger Cobra brakes. I don't know which type of pads give off less dust, so I can't help much. I coated my white wheels with car wax and it seemed to help them stay clean from dirt and road crap even longer and made cleaning them WAY easier.

They advertised the car with a special rear brake compound. Thats why the rears appear to be worse than the front.

Drives me nuts for the car shows since thats what the car was purchased for. I need to swap over to the Raybestos had lots of luck minimizing the dust on all my other cars.

I heard of others doing this but experieced poorer braking somwhat.

There is a greenstuff pad I thought about trying that suppose to be good anyone been there done that? pipe in

Gatorac

Established Member
I used the ceramic pads from NAPA and have almost no brake dust on the wheels. They don't stop for shit though.

I kept the stock rotors and some Carboteck Panther XP's for the track. They stop like a mofo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
High performance pads have great stopping power but generate more brake dust. Can't have it both ways. I've found that polishing my wheels with Zaino makes the cleaning process a bit easier, but of course it won't reduce the amount of brake dust that gets onto the wheels. I had the same thing with the Brembo F-1s on the front of my Callaway Camaro. Cost me $3,600. for the brakes and they had terrific stopping power. But the trade-off was brake dust. I asked Callaway engineering about switching to another type pad and the response was that if I did that I would compromise on stopping power. I chose to leave them alone and live with the powder. I kept a spare California duster in my trunk for car shows -- just for the wheels.
:)

Last edited:

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
hmmm...I have less dust and less squeak than stock. Maybe it's because I changed my rotors too? :shrug:

I had my rotors flipped and 'trued' up for the new pads. It's still very tolerable, not a long squeek, just every now and then.

jason

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
High performance pads have great stopping power but generate more brake dust. Can't have it both ways. I've found that polishing my wheels with Zaino makes the cleaning process a bit easier, bit of course it won't reduce the amount of brake dust that gets onto the wheels. I had the same thing with the Brembo F-1s on the front of my Callaway Camaro. Cost me $3,600. for the brakes and they had terrific stopping power. But the trade-off was brake dust. I asked Callaway engineering about switching to another type pad and the response was that if I did that I would compromise on stopping power. I chose to leave them alone and live with the powder. I kept a spare California duster in my trunk for car shows -- just for the wheels.
:)

Cobrabob you mention this before. So I bought a new duster for the car and used it. Just doest work decent for me on those 10th aniv rims. TO hard getting a decent wipe with the duster. Where it did touch worked well.. Great for you guys with the standard wheels.

Zaino does help with the wheels way better than waxes. Wax melts at 170 degrees I think the dust would melt its way in and it almost seem worse for the wheels.

Synthectic sealants work better on the wheels for the dust to come off.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by 2thman
I had my rotors flipped and 'trued' up for the new pads. It's still very tolerable, not a long squeek, just every now and then.

jason

I was always tought not to flip rotors cause of internal stresses and cause warping and cracking, Because of the molecular structure caused by heating and cooling rotational stresses durning this process.

Probably doesnt matter on your Yugo car out there just on these these triple digits stopping cars.

With the the high grades of metals these days I bet it really doesnt really matter anymore maybe. You can always tell a high grade rotor usually a factory one on higher end cars you will not they rust very little compared to your cheap discount store rotors, You get what you pay for. Just my .02

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Cobrabob you mention this before. So I bought a new duster for the car and used it. Just doest work decent for me on those 10th aniv rims. TO hard getting a decent wipe with the duster. Where it did touch worked well.. Great for you guys with the standard wheels.

Yeh, those Anniversary wheels must be very tough to clean. They also make a mini-Duster that is designed for interior use, but it might work with your wheels. Just a suggestion. It probably wouldn't work for you either. Bummer! One thing I like about using a Duster is that you can use it over and over again vs. constantly washing small towels for your wheels.

Bob

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Yeh, those Anniversary wheels must be very tough to clean. They also make a mini-Duster that is designed for interior use, but it might work with your wheels. Just a suggestion. It probably wouldn't work for you either. Bummer! One thing I like about using a Duster is that you can use it over and over again vs. constantly washing small towels for your wheels.

Bob

Yea thats the one I bought fig that would be the ticket also. Now I use it for my engine bay for the shows allot faster less wiping.

I need a duster that looks like a bottle cleaner for the deeper spots in the engine bay or might also work on the 10th rims

Users who are viewing this thread