Need to learn how to drive this thing...

Pointby

Established Member
Wish Revan was in the neighborhood :-D

Anybody know of any HPDEs in the Northeastern US that teach using mustangs? I know Miller motorsports park has a program. I thought there was one up in Canada somewhere as well.

I have signed up for my first track event in this car in April at the Glen and would like to get some on track seat time to see what the car can really do in the hands of someone who knows how to drive them.

i have been doing HPDEs for the last 10 years of so, but only one or two a year. Each time I go out in a new car, my sphincter tightens up. <squueeeek>. And with 662 under the hood, I don't want any bent metal.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Kapy

Established Member
Wish Revan was in the neighborhood :-D

Anybody know of any HPDEs in the Northeastern US that teach using mustangs? I know Miller motorsports park has a program. I thought there was one up in Canada somewhere as well.

I have signed up for my first track event in this car in April at the Glen and would like to get some on track seat time to see what the car can really do in the hands of someone who knows how to drive them.

i have been doing HPDEs for the last 10 years of so, but only one or two a year. Each time I go out in a new car, my sphincter tightens up. <squueeeek>. And with 662 under the hood, I don't want any bent metal.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
You might want to look into The Mid Ohio race school. You can use your own car. I have done numerous courses with them. They are all past F1, Indy, Grand Am, SCCA racers.

Wish i lived closer to the track, because I would have had the GT500 there already. But I moved and now live in Dallas.

However we have Eagle Canyon Raceway out here which I am planning on visiting soon.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Do not be scared of the car, when I went to homestead no one told me how to handle my car, I just pushed it some, then some more then more....you start to feel it trust me. Your right foot is your control

Pointby

Established Member
Thanks Devious,
Being easy on the go pedal is not an issue for me. I used to have a 1987 911 turbo and that loved to spin unless you were smooth on the throttle and DID NOT LIFT mid corner :eek:

What's your take on traction? How well do those goodyears stick once up to temp on the track? If pushed, at what point will the stability control catch you? Will it let you get a little sideways (aka funways)?

Do not be scared of the car, when I went to homestead no one told me how to handle my car, I just pushed it some, then some more then more....you start to feel it trust me. Your right foot is your control

Shhhh

Established Member
I live about 15 minutes south of the Glen. Hopefully I'll see you up there this spring/summer. My '13 wont be there though, it stays down in GA.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Thanks Devious,
Being easy on the go pedal is not an issue for me. I used to have a 1987 911 turbo and that loved to spin unless you were smooth on the throttle and DID NOT LIFT mid corner :eek:

What's your take on traction? How well do those goodyears stick once up to temp on the track? If pushed, at what point will the stability control catch you? Will it let you get a little sideways (aka funways)?

The goodyears are actually not bad once they are warm and sticky, thats really where they belong is on the track. The car will get a little sideways but with TC on it will step in....now if you set it to advancetrac sport, you will have more leeway to slide it. But by then I would think some dedicated track tires to really enjoy the handling and turn everything off :rockon:

Pointby

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I made the mistake of taking the stability and traction control off once before at the Glen. $12k in damage to my "former" Z06. Learned that "catching a spin" at 80 is no where as easy as it is at 40. lol.

I am keeping the stock tires and wheels for the track. I have a new set of Alcoa "50years" with Michelin PSS set aside for the street.

Users who are viewing this thread