Needing Input on my 03 Cobra Engine Build.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
Alright guys, so the current engine in my 03 cobra is hurt. 25psi in my #8 cylinder according to a recent compression test. The car has high mileage so I decided to freshen up the entire thing and not just fix what is broken. My best option is to go w/ a new shortblock from MMR. I was going to have my stock 03 heads freshened and reinstalled but I'm wondering if it's better to find a set of 04 heads or aftermarket set. Improved cooling, more spark plug threads? The whipple will be going back on the car so I'm trying to make eliminate most of the weak points but still keep somewhat of a budget and not get too crazy.

SVTDom

cheetah on cocaine
Established Member
just do a built short block and freshen up your stock heads. Maybe some cams, valves, springs, and re tune that puppy.

mach1033

Established Member
Alright guys, so the current engine in my 03 cobra is hurt. 25psi in my #8 cylinder according to a recent compression test. The car has high mileage so I decided to freshen up the entire thing and not just fix what is broken. My best option is to go w/ a new shortblock from MMR. I was going to have my stock 03 heads freshened and reinstalled but I'm wondering if it's better to find a set of 04 heads or aftermarket set. Improved cooling, more spark plug threads? The whipple will be going back on the car so I'm trying to make eliminate most of the weak points but still keep somewhat of a budget and not get too crazy.

what is your budget if we may ask?

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
New shortblock of your choice, rework your stock heads, don't worry about the 4 threads because they work just fine.

NOMANIAC3

Established Member
im trying to do the same thing but for me i blew 2 spark plugs out of the heads so do i need a new set of heads for my rebuild ?

cobracide

Established Member
If you have the money to burn then go with the newest '03 revision heads. If not, the suggested spark plug inserts should help. Since you have already blown out a couple of plugs, I would be going with the new revision 9 thread '03 heads. A good 5 angle valve job is about all you need for the '03 heads. Since the engine is out, also consider some cams. Ford GT cams for a mild bump, Stage 3's will get you a bit more and a custom grind will bump it up even more. Budget in what you can, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread