Negative battery cable grouning point???

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Like the title says I'm trying to remember where the BIG negative battery cable on a fox 5.0 grounds to from the factory. The cable in my car is aftermarket from the previous owner and I DONT think he has it grounded to the right place. Its bolted to the timing cover and getting no ground. The only ground from the battery is a small factory wire that is bolted up to the inner fender right above the ignition solenoid. The problem with this is the small wire is melting whenever I crank the car to start it. If I unhook this small wire I get no power to the interior of the car, no lights, door alarm, nothing.

I have tried to find some pics on Google but to no avail. Could someone take a few quick picks of there engine bay or tell me exactly where the main negative battery cable is grounded to? Would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.:beer:

Mustang289

Established Member
If that small wire is your main ground, no wonder it's frying when you crank your engine, there's a lot of amps flowing through that small wire.

main grounds are Battery to engine block, drivers side engine to firewall, radiator support behind both headlights, tailights under plastic trim below trunk latch.

4valvemach

Established Member
My 90 gt was grounded on the drivers side of the timing cover

Watch this vid for a better ground, Ill be doing this on my next fox

His car is a 1990

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[/nomedia][youtube_browser]AKmaQEpjDKU[/youtube_browser]

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I relocated the main ground to the side of the frame rail on the little bracket that is welded to it from the factory. I also went to ACE and got some 8 gauge double insulated wire and replaced that smaller 12 gauge wire running to the inner fender. Seems to have stopped the over heating problem. Now it makes a sparking sound when I crank the car to start it. It ONLY does it when the starter is engaged so im think there is a short running to the starter or that maybe there is just a loose wire under there. The car does start just fine though, just add in the loud sparking "click" sound while it cranks.

clean93

Established Member
man be careful the factory ground by my oil filter on my 93GT got corroded one hot saturday afternoon and the car decided to use my cluch cable as a ground and melted the cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant and started to fire up the dash. all while driving. pretty scary

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
man be careful the factory ground by my oil filter on my 93GT got corroded one hot saturday afternoon and the car decided to use my cluch cable as a ground and melted the cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant and started to fire up the dash. all while driving. pretty scary

Yea, its grounded away from the motor now directly to the frame rail. I also fixed the clicking sound that happened when starting the car, turns out if was the solenoid mounted on the starter itself.

Users who are viewing this thread