Negative Diluted = Fired?

Equalbracket

Established Member
SVTP, i come to you again for opinions and just want to vent

So i've been a "temp" forklift operator at a production plant(pca) for 6 months at pretty much slave wages, have to hit 1,000 hours before they'll consider you for full time, which after full time wages more then double and full benefits health etc, so clearly they want to keep temps.

Anyways the morning of the 15th, I get a call after I get home from working 12's, 12 days in a row, come back up there fill out the application etc, which means its time to get hired on full time, I didn't know I would have to drug test that day and it didn't even matter I don't do any drugs so nothing to worry about, but I didn't about drinking water etc, all I had for the past 12 hours were 4 little red bulls. I went into that dr's office so dehydrated I couldnt hit that fill line 3 seperate times, and it was kabota orange. They told me this will be my last chance to try so go out in the waiting room and drink alot of water and wait until i reallllly had to go. So...I did.

The following Friday after i work I get a call and was told I failed the drug test and i was terminated and i'm banned from the the company premises they would call the cops if I showed up, yet i have to get my supervisor to sign my time slip.

So i'm pretty much shell shocked now and Calling everyone I can to find out what I tested positive for because my boss is a full blown dope phene and I know hes devious enough to dope my drink/food. I called my employer Manpower and I'm told I tested positive for "whatever I was using" Nobody could and still wont provide me with any documentation, but she did tell me today it was a negative diluted sample, I was trying to cover something up.

I will be contacting an attorney Monday, just wanting to vent and get some opinions, I understand life isn't fair at all, but losing my job for absolutely doing nothing wrong, it's hard to swallow. :bash:

7.62x51

Established Member
From Wiki Answers:

"A diluted urine drug test is one where the sample was diluted. It happens in two ways--you drank too much water to make yourself pee (DOT's standard says drink no more than 40 ounces of water), or you put water in your sample after you peed it out.

A negative diluted test says "no drugs in this sample passed the test thresholds, but it was diluted so there MIGHT be drugs in here." Basically, a diluted negative is a test failure."

I'd be pissed (no pun intended). Keep us updated.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
When ppl try to chug water at my job they tell us no more than 3 cups otherwise it'll register as dilluted. Dilluted negative to me would mean simply that. Maybe the drug testing lab/agency has an automatic fail with a dilluted specimen signifying deception or something? You should absolutely be given a report of the urinalysis. This whole thing seems odd like maybe your dope fiend boss didn't understand what the lab was telling him.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That's crazy! When the military does piss tests and you can't pee they tell you to keep chugging water until you can. Never once have I heard of this happening to anyone in our tests

Equalbracket

Established Member
See one nurse told me only 6 cups of water, another told me its my body drink however much I want..I drank probably 8-10, and waited an hour until I realllllly had to go, and it was pretty clear compared to how orange it was before.

Why not tell me, hey don't drink alot of water cause a diluted sample will result in your termination, it's just an easy cop out for them as not to hire on people fulll time, but still am I not protected at all in this case?

Equalbracket

Established Member
When ppl try to chug water at my job they tell us no more than 3 cups otherwise it'll register as dilluted. Dilluted negative to me would mean simply that. Maybe the drug testing lab/agency has an automatic fail with a dilluted specimen signifying deception or something? You should absolutely be given a report of the urinalysis. This whole thing seems odd like maybe your dope fiend boss didn't understand what the lab was telling him.

This whole thing is odd, my boss is spun to the walls every day and its so obvious its embarrassing and they say NOTHING and do nothing, I'm talking from the top general manager down. Packing Corporation of America, not a small company.

It'll be a week tomorrow that i've been trying to get the actual report of the UA, and they act like I don't need it

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
See one nurse told me only 6 cups of water, another told me its my body drink however much I want..I drank probably 8-10, and waited an hour until I realllllly had to go, and it was pretty clear compared to how orange it was before.

Why not tell me, hey don't drink alot of water cause a diluted sample will result in your termination, it's just an easy cop out for them as not to hire on people fulll time, but still am I not protected at all in this case?

I would lawyer up. I would think there's a level of ignorance you can claim because it's not like you are the expert on these tests here.

Last

Established Member
Sucks, but you are in Texas (A right to work state). They are following their SOPs, if anything you are going to need to contact the TWC and file for unemployment. But they have paperwork against you and you just have your word.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
From Wiki Answers:

"A diluted urine drug test is one where the sample was diluted. It happens in two ways--you drank too much water to make yourself pee (DOT's standard says drink no more than 40 ounces of water), or you put water in your sample after you peed it out.

A negative diluted test says "no drugs in this sample passed the test thresholds, but it was diluted so there MIGHT be drugs in here." Basically, a diluted negative is a test failure."

I'd be pissed (no pun intended). Keep us updated.

I know its not a DOT position but from DOT

While §40.197(b) authorizes an employer to obtain one additional test following a negative dilute result (in pre-employment or other testing situations), a negative dilute test result is a valid negative test for DOT’s purposes.

• Because a negative dilute test result is a negative test for DOT program purposes, the employer is authorized to have the applicant begin performing safety-sensitive functions.

anywho, as a right to work state its probably an uphill battle

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Go to the same place that tested or to a known entity and be regularly hydrated pee in a cup get the test results now. Ask for it to be a secure witnessed test pay your own money then try to get the job if you want it. Also needed if you are trying to sue???

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That's crazy! When the military does piss tests and you can't pee they tell you to keep chugging water until you can. Never once have I heard of this happening to anyone in our tests

LOL, i've done the same and told others to do the same. I wake up early and take that morning piss. Then you get the call or formation goes from accountability/PT to urinalysis. Drink water is the mantra.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

exactly, (and I've seen more than one person booted because they pissed positive for Marijuana, didn't matter how much they tried to dilute the specimen)

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
exactly, (and I've seen more than one person booted because they pissed positive for Marijuana, didn't matter how much they tried to dilute the specimen)

MJ is fat slouable and dilution does not do much for its detection levels. Other drugs/narcotics have a 24-72 hour window of detection and are water soluble, like morphine or heroin.

Last edited by a moderator:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Sadly, the only one I've seen Marines get away with is Molly(sp?) Because it's supposedly out of your system in just a few days.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
If it's a right to work state you're ****ed OP. I got fired from a warehouse job for wearing a T shirt with a rebel flag on it (It was the charger from dukes of hazzard) and I had no recourse. No disciplines in the past, I just pissed off the wrong person.

And I've never heard of diluted piss test before in 12 years in the military.

Last edited:

Equalbracket

Established Member
Texas is at will, and as a temp apparently I have absolutely no rights. Out of over 80 people on third shift, there is me and one other white guy. It's actually two plants in one, one is a combining box plant and other does the printing, and there is absolutely not a single white person on any shift for the printing side, EOE? ya right. Then I found out today that I was the 6th person in my position in a row to have the same exact thing happen, work them 1000+ hours, negative dilute failed, no proof nothing, on to the next one. I had not one mistake/clerical error, dmg trucks etc nothing in 6 months, on top I had to all this extra bs that nobody else had to on any other shift, it's just unreal.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Texas is at will, and as a temp apparently I have absolutely no rights. Out of over 80 people on third shift, there is me and one other white guy. It's actually two plants in one, one is a combining box plant and other does the printing, and there is absolutely not a single white person on any shift for the printing side, EOE? ya right. Then I found out today that I was the 6th person in my position in a row to have the same exact thing happen, work them 1000+ hours, negative dilute failed, no proof nothing, on to the next one. I had not one mistake/clerical error, dmg trucks etc nothing in 6 months, on top I had to all this extra bs that nobody else had to on any other shift, it's just unreal.

Like someone said, go to a drugs testing facility and do a blood test along with urine. get a lawyer if you feel this is going to solve the problem. settle out of court and do not go back, especially if you can prove the 6 guys fired for the same thing in the same position aiming for permanent hire.

bumplime

Established Member
SVTP, i come to you again for opinions and just want to vent

So i've been a "temp" forklift operator at a production plant(pca) for 6 months at pretty much slave wages, have to hit 1,000 hours before they'll consider you for full time, which after full time wages more then double and full benefits health etc, so clearly they want to keep temps.

Anyways the morning of the 15th, I get a call after I get home from working 12's, 12 days in a row, come back up there fill out the application etc, which means its time to get hired on full time, I didn't know I would have to drug test that day and it didn't even matter I don't do any drugs so nothing to worry about, but I didn't about drinking water etc, all I had for the past 12 hours were 4 little red bulls. I went into that dr's office so dehydrated I couldnt hit that fill line 3 seperate times, and it was kabota orange. They told me this will be my last chance to try so go out in the waiting room and drink alot of water and wait until i reallllly had to go. So...I did.

The following Friday after i work I get a call and was told I failed the drug test and i was terminated and i'm banned from the the company premises they would call the cops if I showed up, yet i have to get my supervisor to sign my time slip.

So i'm pretty much shell shocked now and Calling everyone I can to find out what I tested positive for because my boss is a full blown dope phene and I know hes devious enough to dope my drink/food. I called my employer Manpower and I'm told I tested positive for "whatever I was using" Nobody could and still wont provide me with any documentation, but she did tell me today it was a negative diluted sample, I was trying to cover something up.

I will be contacting an attorney Monday, just wanting to vent and get some opinions, I understand life isn't fair at all, but losing my job for absolutely doing nothing wrong, it's hard to swallow. :bash:

Texas may be different but when I send an employee in or a UA if they test positive, a physician from the testing company has to call the employee to clarify the test results and ask if they have a physicians order for any medication that may contribute to the positive result.
In a right to work state, move on. You may be able to collect unemployment benefits but that's all you'll get. Any attorney that tells you otherwise is full of shit and unethical. As much as it may suck for you, the company doesn't need a reason to terminate you. They can terminate you because you farted, doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
The company sounds like somewhere that you should be happy about leaving. Especially if you can get UI benefits. You don't sound to happy about working for "slave wages" or the hours you were working. I can see where working for 6 months and being shown the door under these circumstances would suck but take it as an opportunity to better your employment...company wise.

Users who are viewing this thread