NEW! 1 leaked drawing of new GT500 engine

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
today King of the road is the car that goes fastest in a straight line. who gives a shit how fast a car can drive in circles for hours....

people buy street cars based on how fast the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are. the 0-60 is kinda comical but people don't buy a new car magazine to see what the lap times are in the new car their wanting to buy for the street. they don't give a shit!

they care how fast it is 0-60 and what the 1/4 mile times are. so unless the GT500 can beat or match the Demon it will simply be considered inferior.

I mean really, how many guys that buy a GT500 are gonna go out looking for another car to beat their lap times? none. their gonna go out and see what car they can beat in a straight line roll race.

I'll never understand why the GT500 wouldn't gun to dethrone the Demon's speed. We already have a track beast in the GT350R. Why make the GT500 another track weapon. The GT500 should be the KING OF THE ROAD....not the KING OF THE TRACK.

Last edited:

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think the Demon is Ford's goal with the GT500. I think it's the more mass produced hellcat, which has pretty much dominated the top dog category since it came out. I would be satisfied with equal or more capabilities than a HC, but I don't think the Demon is as good of a comparison. Like someone said, there could be a GT500KR later that might go after the Demon, but I don't think it's necessary for the GT500.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Ford doesn't give a shit about the Demon. It should be obvious to people with a brain after years of producing increasingly sports-car like pony cars.

Demon is a low-investment way to maximize internet clicks on a short term basis but the majority of people interested in actual at-the-track drag racing are either going to be dead soon because they are old, or they represent a tiny, declining fraction of the car buying public. You can either accept this reality or not. Why do you think Demon volume is what it is? It's not because there are 10,000 people a year looking to buy drag cars. GM and Ford have blown hundreds of millions of dollars turning Mustang and Camaro into sports cars instead of working up ways to send out boxes with skinnies in them. Ford has sold over 100,000 Mustangs since they started international sales in markets drag strips barely even exist.

I'm not saying people don't care about straight line acceleration but EVERYTHING is fast now. You can buy ****ing station wagons that run 11s. The amount of people who actually care what a car will run at a prepped drag strip is beyond minuscule relative to the broader market, and the amount of people who will buy one car over another because of fractional differences in OE straight line speed is a tiny subset of that.

sask10

Established Member
Never mind the demon, I’d be scared of the 2018 GT buying one of these cars. Never mind the horsepower #s for a moment, I don’t think any of us are expecting a 9 second factory car at this point. Now keep in mind the 18 GT is running 11.2X with tune and E85 only with the new ten speed. Spend less then 10k on a 35K GT and expect you could easily be in the 9s.

In 07 when the GT500 was reintroduced no one was scared of GT with bolt ons you could do in an afternoon. By 2011-2012 maybe, but by 2013/14 the extra displacement of the 5.8 put numbers down with a pulley swap just out of reach of a stock bottom end coyote.

Fast forward to 2018/19 we have GT500 with let’s guess for a minute 750hp with a mid 10 quarter mile time and a GT capable of 9s for half the price.

For me I was hoping for some exotic power plant like the 7.0 N/A hype or TT 5.0 to justify the big price tag but I just don’t see it in some supercharged voodoo or coyote variant. There was sooo much more potential for a 10k spread between GT to GT500 in 07. Now don’t get me wrong I know the GT500 will have big brakes and other hardware that’s not on the GT but when was the last time you pulled up to a hellcat or demon and said I bet I can stop in a shorter distance then you....

I might still end up with a GT500 but these leaks at least for the moment have me contemplating a different route.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Never mind the demon, I’d be scared of the 2018 GT buying one of these cars. Never mind the horsepower #s for a moment, I don’t think any of us are expecting a 9 second factory car at this point. Now keep in mind the 18 GT is running 11.2X with tune and E85 only with the new ten speed. Spend less then 10k on a 35K GT and expect you could easily be in the 9s.

In 07 when the GT500 was reintroduced no one was scared of GT with bolt ons you could do in an afternoon. By 2011-2012 maybe, but by 2013/14 the extra displacement of the 5.8 put numbers down with a pulley swap just out of reach of a stock bottom end coyote.

Fast forward to 2018/19 we have GT500 with let’s guess for a minute 750hp with a mid 10 quarter mile time and a GT capable of 9s for half the price.

For me I was hoping for some exotic power plant like the 7.0 N/A hype or TT 5.0 to justify the big price tag but I just don’t see it in some supercharged voodoo or coyote variant. There was sooo much more potential for a 10k spread between GT to GT500 in 07. Now don’t get me wrong I know the GT500 will have big brakes and other hardware that’s not on the GT but when was the last time you pulled up to a hellcat or demon and said I bet I can stop in a shorter distance then you....

I might still end up with a GT500 but these leaks at least for the moment have me contemplating a different route.
I see the points you're making, but you can spend money and make most cars faster than a GT500, HC, or what have you. Personally, the Cobra/Shelby represent the best iterations of the car I have the most affinity for(Mustang). I am a car guy so a Vette,ZL1, or a HC won't make me sick and I won't kick one out of the garage if given one. I just prefer the Mustang and my tastes dictate I go for the top dog Mustang. I sense I'm not alone.
With that said, I want a GT500 regardless of if a modded GT can go faster.

sask10

Established Member
I see the points you're making, but you can spend money and make most cars faster than a GT500, HC, or what have you. Personally, the Cobra/Shelby represent the best iterations of the car I have the most affinity for(Mustang). I am a car guy so a Vette,ZL1, or a HC won't make me sick and I won't kick one out of the garage if given one. I just prefer the Mustang and my tastes dictate I go for the top dog Mustang. I sense I'm not alone.
With that said, I want a GT500 regardless of if a modded GT can go faster.

I definitely see the prestige in driving a GT500 and it may end up being that point that makes my decision. I guess I was hoping for some really unique power plant to set the 2 apart. I’m not seeing that with this leaked engine.

As far as building something that’s faster, that used to take some mechanical know how in the way of an engine build and such or a whole lot of cash to have someone else to pull it all together. Now a kid can mail order mass produced bolt ons that can be put on with basic skills in a matter of hours on the driveway and have real contender on the street or at the track. I suppose that’s the way of the future.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess I was hoping for some really unique power plant to set the 2 apart. I’m not seeing that with this leaked engine.
I think it will be just enough to set it apart. Ford got it right with the previous versions for the most part and the GT350 is spot on. Ford knows what they're doing. But I might be a biased fanboy

As far as building something that’s faster, that used to take some mechanical know how in the way of an engine build and such or a whole lot of cash to have someone else to pull it all together. Now a kid can mail order mass produced bolt ons that can be put on with basic skills in a matter of hours on the driveway and have real contender on the street or at the track. I suppose that’s the way of the future.
Yeah things have changed, but I think it's great. Cars are doing incredible things nowadays.

Dusten

Established Member

As has been stated here and elsewhere, a lot of people give a shit about the total driving experience. A lot of people who buy cars that cost 50-60-70k give a **** if it brakes, and corners. A 35k gt is a base model stripper with almost no ****ing options. If I am buying a car in the 60+ north realm I want leather, I want heated seats, I want a great stereo, and I want power. And frankly I am in the majority when it comes to car buyers.

To get a GT with big brakes, and mag ride, and the 10 speed, and all the goodies you are at 50k.

Another thing you're forgetting is a lot of car buyers leave their cars stock, or very near stock. The modified cars are the minority. Not the majority. So the argument about being afraid of a gt because some jackass slapped a blower on and makes 700whp is a little out to lunch.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford doesn't give a shit about the Demon. It should be obvious to people with a brain after years of producing increasingly sports-car like pony cars.

Demon is a low-investment way to maximize internet clicks on a short term basis but the majority of people interested in actual at-the-track drag racing are either going to be dead soon because they are old, or they represent a tiny, declining fraction of the car buying public. You can either accept this reality or not. Why do you think Demon volume is what it is? It's not because there are 10,000 people a year looking to buy drag cars. GM and Ford have blown hundreds of millions of dollars turning Mustang and Camaro into sports cars instead of working up ways to send out boxes with skinnies in them. Ford has sold over 100,000 Mustangs since they started international sales in markets drag strips barely even exist.

I'm not saying people don't care about straight line acceleration but EVERYTHING is fast now. You can buy ****ing station wagons that run 11s. The amount of people who actually care what a car will run at a prepped drag strip is beyond minuscule relative to the broader market, and the amount of people who will buy one car over another because of fractional differences in OE straight line speed is a tiny subset of that.
Well we usually agree, and still do on this car, but would you say the Hellcat was a success?
I'm a Ford guy and DD a Charger HC because many still want straight line power and acceleration.
There is and will always be a market for American muscle cars and although I agree with you on the small minority that track their cars (both drag and road course), the performance potential obviously sells cars.
The key to the Mustang success has always been customization of an affordable sporty car, and now combined with international markets, it's a fine line Ford has to walk.
I'm a buyer for this GT500, so I'm excited to see how far they're pushing the envelope.
-J

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Sure, Hellcat is a great success. They sell a ton of them and it's never tried to be anything other than what it is.

But people keep bringing up the Demon in particular. I've always thought the Demon was a gimmick. I don't really pay much attention to it because it's not my thing, but my assumption is outside of phenomenal track prep, basement DA conditions, non-pump gas and a wheel/tire/interior setup nobody will EVER run on the street, the car isn't much faster than a regular Hellcat. That's not really a vehicle program. It's a couple million bucks so they could making silly ads making nonsensical comparisons to hypercars.

It's just an apples and oranges comparison to what Ford builds. I was positive there would be plenty of bitching about GT350 because it was such a departure. I doubt there will be much bitching from people who aren't just born to bitch about this car.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Sure, Hellcat is a great success. They sell a ton of them and it's never tried to be anything other than what it is.

But people keep bringing up the Demon in particular. I've always thought the Demon was a gimmick. I don't really pay much attention to it because it's not my thing, but my assumption is outside of phenomenal track prep, basement DA conditions, non-pump gas and a wheel/tire/interior setup nobody will EVER run on the street, the car isn't much faster than a regular Hellcat. That's not really a vehicle program. It's a couple million bucks so they could making silly ads making nonsensical comparisons to hypercars.

At first glance the demon does appear to just be basically a slightly upgraded Hellcat with some bolt on parts.

However I think it’s more along the lines of comparing the 13-14 GT500’s to the 11-12 GT500’s:

At a quick glance they appeared to be just a bored out motor and bigger blower but if you dig deeper there were numerous, less obvious changes (cooling, gearing, electronics, etc.) that make the 11-12 & 13-14 vastly different beasts.

The demon vs hellcat is similar; there are lots of under the “skin” changes that don’t necessarily get recognized until you start digging.

Now granted, almost all have been done in the interest of making it superior at its “one trick” but I wouldn’t be surprised to see numerous parts of it trickle down into the “lesser” hellcats down the road depending on how it is received in the real world.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I REALLY have my fingers crossed when they announce curb weight. If they can figure out how to get the car at the curb weight of the 07-14 GT500 or even under... they will have a home run. Built bottom end and the TVS 2650 rotor pack will make power. If they can give the car a great power to weight ratio, people will be saying "Whats a Demon?"

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Look at what you've seen on the internet already. A giant blower, giant brakes, giant wheels and tires to go around them....that shit ain't light.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If they're carbon wheels and carbon ceramic brakes, that's not very heavy. The new blower is an all in one unit, probably not significantly heavier than the older TVS lower intake/intercooler setups. Id wager their weight to be similar.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Trans is likely to add 80-100lbs. Supercharger and requisite cooling about the same. If rotors were CC the calipers will still be heavier as they are clearly bigger than GT350 Brembo units. My guess would be a more luxurious interior as well.

Gotta be close to 4,000lbs unless we see use of Magna/BASF front or rear subframe, which I am doubting at this point.

sask10

Established Member
As has been stated here and elsewhere, a lot of people give a shit about the total driving experience. A lot of people who buy cars that cost 50-60-70k give a **** if it brakes, and corners. A 35k gt is a base model stripper with almost no ****ing options. If I am buying a car in the 60+ north realm I want leather, I want heated seats, I want a great stereo, and I want power. And frankly I am in the majority when it comes to car buyers.

To get a GT with big brakes, and mag ride, and the 10 speed, and all the goodies you are at 50k.

Another thing you're forgetting is a lot of car buyers leave their cars stock, or very near stock. The modified cars are the minority. Not the majority. So the argument about being afraid of a gt because some jackass slapped a blower on and makes 700whp is a little out to lunch.

Notice the post said “I’d be scared of” and not “what most people should be scared of”. I quite frankly don’t care why your buying a GT500 lol but I know why I bought mine in 2010 and why I might or might not buy another one in 2018/2019. The mustang is one of the most widely modified cars on the planet and I can’t think of one person who owns one or has owned one who hasn’t done something to it performance wise so that minority you talk about must be pretty big. Try the classifieds to find an unmolested GT500 that’s more then a couple years old. They’re not common. Ford themselves has said in the past they build the mustang to be easily modified with room to grow because that’s what their customers want. So I’m not sure the majority is as big as you think it is if it one at all.

From a performance stand point, which unless I’m mistaken, is what the GT500 name plate is all about. In its true essence the GT500 name plate used to be the street monster while the GT350 the track carver. this leaked engine may fall short of many people’s expectations which is also stated many places including here. We won’t really know until it’s release. Remember a lot of GT350 owners were paying 90k for a car with radio delete and no back seat so that market exists and it must be a pretty big one for ford to offer it.

Get away from hp#s for second too. I think we can agree that a mid 10 second 1/4 is the limit for a factory car without a dedicated drag setup like say the demon. The other models are getting very close to that high 10 second mark with out monster hp #s. And at face value what does this power plant look like? An existing platform with a supercharger on it... all previous generation GT500s had very unique power plants with a substantially smaller price spread from base GT to GT500 with a much larger performance gap between models.

Your “total driving experience” is different then mine and what the GT500 used to mean to the performance world. I put maybe 2000 miles on a year and I drive it for its “total go experience” I don’t drive it because it’s got leather or because it’s got a big stereo. I have other vehicles for that that I spend far more time in to enjoy those comforts. That “jackass” who’s making 700whp on a GT used to be a full out car enthusiast who had the know how and cash to put that package together. Now it can be a kid delivering pizzas living in his parents basement.

Just know that next time a pimply faced kid in a GT pulls up on you in your GT500 that he knows, I know, and you know that his car could be faster in any street situation you can think of and he didn’t drop 70-80k to get there. I certainly didn’t worry about that on previous generations as much as I do now. That is of course if this new GT500 is anything short of spectacular. I guess we shall see....

Users who are viewing this thread