New 5.0 - '03 vs '00R Test.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
In the magazine. Don't know if they have it up on a site.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't get my issue yet. Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to read the article. :)

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
Sounds like this will be a great issue. The above article & a write-up on a TT Mach 1. Should be some fun reading :read: :bowdown:

Last edited:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Cobra R, and deservedly so. The article was well written and the tests were conducted fairly.

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
It's a great issue. I just finished reading it. F8LBITE's car is in it showing how easy it is to hit the 10's with an Eaton and bolt ons. Sweeet! The Biscamp/Strictly Performance car [9.59@143] has an article detailing its history. [They're looking to turbocharge it and run high 7s/low 8s]. There's an Accufab throttle body on an '03 install. The Passport G-Timer is featured [G-Tech type device]. And much more. Go buy it right now if you don't have a subscription...:)

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
The 00 Cobra R vs. 03 Cobra article was pretty good, although they didnt have too many nice things to say about the 03!! Or maybe I need to read it again.:shrug:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 svtvenom
The 00 Cobra R vs. 03 Cobra article was pretty good, although they didnt have too many nice things to say about the 03!! Or maybe I need to read it again.:shrug:

You have to figure that the "R" is a car designed for racing. The Cobra looks like a Luxo-boat next to it.

kpinco

Established Member
F8LBITE is famous!! Great job getting in 5.0 mag!

Interesting numbers between the 00 R and the 03. 0-50mph the 03 was actually quicker but the 00 R took the 0-60 mph time.

03 svtvenom: I got the same impression from the article! Yes, the Cobra R is an awesome car but stickered at $50K + with no A/C or radio. For $35K +, A/C and a good sound system the power is about equal. Just my 2 cents.

cobraman302

Established Member
I personally think that it is a crying shame what they said about the 03, about "shouldnt it be better with 3 years of work behind it?" Well how much better can it get from the 01' Cobra come on, a 50k+ car compared to a 35k car and it only falls .15 seconds behind in the quarter, and has all the creature comfots that a car should have. And Motor Trend actualy had the 03' winning the quarter mile and mile race. So I think its a whole lot better of a car, just not as cool to drive around and have everyone break their necks looking at you. Just my 2 cents worth. :cuss:

hj16

Established Member
Why is everyone getting upset? Who cares what they said about the 03 in the article? Remember it was matched up against possibly the greatest Mustang ever to come from Ford. I think its great that we were put up against the 00R rather than a blown 01 or something like it. The 00R will reign supreme until the next Cobra, and rightfully so.

venom279

Established Member
I am in a unique position right now, I own both a 00'R and an 03 sonic blue with a KB and all the goodies. Since I have driven both cars I will give my honest opinion.

The R is a smooth handler, it has enough engine to make it very fun, it has kick ass brakes, has killer looks, it gets killer looks, and it is only 1 of 300 ever made. It is truly one of a kind, a very fun car!!

The 03' is a beautifully sleek machine, they are a very good "sleeper", (Unless you have Lt's with an off-road h-pipe and magnaflow) especially for those poor souls who have no idea what's under the hood. Yes, these beasts can be made to handle as well as the R, but the power....oh sh!t the raw power that these things possess(sp), is simply mind blowing!! You can take these things to the drag strip run 11's without blinking, then you can go cruising afterwards with the ac on, listening to the tunes!!

To say the least, I love both cars, they are both very cool, each have their own attributes and respected duties. I think it's unfair when people try to compare the two, they are two totally different cars, with two seperate goals in mind when SVT was building them. I think it is funny that the magazines are still comparing the R to new vettes, vipers, and cobras when it is almost 4 years old, I think that saying alot for the R.

So, cheers to two of the badest cars that ever came out of Dearborn!!!:rockon:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I agree, the R shows em who is boss on the road course... The Terminators out there to show em who's boss on the streets.

I guess a decent analogy would be... The 03 Cobra is a seasoned street brawler, and the Cobra R is a finally tuned professional boxer.

As far as 5.0 magazine is concerned... I really dont think they care for the idea of a force induced factory stock Mustang. Werent they also the ones who bad mouthed the 99 Cobra when they compared it to the Bullit and the 03 Mach1 saying something along the lines of, I loosly quote, "The 99 was suprisingly slower than we had expected, no wonder SVT added a supercharger!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Well said!!!!

Originally posted by venom279

So, cheers to two of the badest cars that ever came out of Dearborn!!!:rockon:

Well stated and informative. I agree, it is a comparison of an apple to an orange. Yes, they are both two of the sweet fruits, but still very different. A better comparison for the 03 Cobra are the other similarly priced street cars. When you do that, I belive the 03 Cobra is still one of, if not the best bang for the buck. Sure there are better handlers and faster cars out there....but not for $35K. If so, point that out to me. That is the article I want to read.

Users who are viewing this thread