New addition

spike31460

Established Member
Today I've added a '93 lightning to my driveway. Great shape, but needs some TLC from a true Ford enthusiast. Not just beat it and leave it. I need some help locating parts online. At least shopping for them. Getting to know #'s and prices, so as not to get ripped. First off it will be in need of exhaust, tune-up, and possibly some new u-joints. Drove it home from Cuyahoga Falls(Cleveland suburb) To Pittsburgh and was very impressed. Knew it would perform, But was nicely surprised at how well. It was a great buy @ $5500.00. Appreciate The advice...........Ron. :coolman:

P.S. The other SVT in my (garage) driveway is a '95 Cobra.
Go 5.0........

John O'Donal

Sounds like you got an excellent deal. I also have a 93" that I have been modifying since new. You will find that the Lightning community will be more than willing to help you should you have any questions. There is alot of knowledge here when it comes to these truck and though there are not alot of 1st Gens around here all the time, they do visit from time to time
take care
John O

Brian Baskin

Established Member
How many miles are on it? I bought mine for $5,000, with 168K miles. It eventually turned into a big monetary nightmare (over $4000 of repairs in the last two years). But, now, almost everything that can break has been replaced :)

LFP has the best price for exhaust components:
http://www.lightningforceperformanc...ory=Exhaust&SubCategory=1004-01&Name=Catbacks

And Downs Ford in NJ has a "tune-up" kit they sell:
http://www.thefordsource.com/store/motorsports/1stgen_lightning_2.htm

I put in Brute Force U-joints in mine when I bought it, they work great.

Good luck!

spike31460

Established Member
New addition..... mileage

It has 91,500 miles on it. Thanks for all of the great info. I saw the tune up kit on Down's site. Does that include red wires, cap, rotor, and plugs? What are the best plugs to run in it? It wants to stall when I first start it, until it warms up, then she'll run great. I hope the tune up will help. Thanks for now, talk to you all soon...............Ron

spike31460

Established Member
Plans

I've got alot of plans. First goal is to bring everything up to snuff, tune-up, exhaust, minor cosmetics. The next thing is to get rid of that ugly step bumper. When it gets warm again, (yes it wil happen) I'm going to sand blast, and paint the frame. I plan on many years of driving pleasure. It will be a daily driver most of the time. I need to do more homework on the 351W, but the typical things will be improved such as; underdrives, K&N, a smoother air flow to the TB, throatier exhaust.........And the list goes on. Not anything major, just enough to keep a little busy without breaking the bank, or getting too outrageous. The shovie owners in the neighborhood are always wondering why the hood is always up, but they don't understand routine improvements as compared to constant overhauls just to keep it on the road.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
I run just basic Autolite (can't remember part #) plugs, and not sure if the Downs kit comes with wires. I run either Magnecore or MSD Superconductor plug wires. You can get the MSD ones from Summit.

Go for a Bassani catback, I have a complete Bassani tract and love it. March 1015 underdrive pulleys, and a K&N open filter help a lot. Sal @ PowerSurgePerformance sells an air intake hose that goes from an K&N filter to the t/b. Also go for a set of Flex-a-lite 210 electric fans

spike31460

Established Member
Thanks, Brian. The Downs tune-up kit comes w/wires. It also comes w/fuel filter, and pcv valve. I've got the kit on the way. The 351w must run hot, I see alot of fan kits available for them. Can some of that be remedied w/ more efficient water pump? The fan kit would be the easier way to go though. Thanks for the help........

spike31460

Established Member
I've found some other useful info about the Gen 1 Lightnings. Downs also has an underdrive pulley set complete w/belt for $99.00. The belt alone is about $40.00. Cheap HP. It won't idle when first started cold. I think I could have a bad water temp. sensor, has anyone had this problem? Thanks............Ron.

And one other thing, where can I get a roll pan to eliminate the ugly step bumper in back.

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
hey spike, welcome aboard! as far as the running hot issue. i don't think there is one. i've ran mine all summer in 90* plus kansas city heat with the air on and never had any problem. i think putting elec. fans on is just a simple way of cleaning up the front of the engine bay and eliminating all that rotaing mass. good luck with your new baby and keep us up to date! we live for this stuff!-chris

spike31460

Established Member
Hey thanks Chris. I know what you mean. Thanks to you as well, Brian, alot of good info. J.C. Whitney has alot of lower priced stuff, too. I was nosing around some online tire sites and came across a great deal at Tire rack.com. Take a look at the Kumho Ecsta STX in the Lightning size. They have a survey on all of their tires they sell. The Ecsta STX has unbelievable stats and at only $89.00 a tire.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
Kumhos are the way to go, definitly. Many owners have them and like them. Good dry traction and good wet traction. They're not super great for the track, but on the street they're better than par.

spike31460

Established Member
I have the 712's on the back of the Cobra, and we've been very happy with them. They even look aggressive. One thing I wanted to ask you about advancing the timing. Won't the computer reset the idle (rpm's) back to the original specs from 14/16 back to 10? Or is there a way around that w/o burning a chip? Thanks.....................

spike31460

Established Member
Thanks, Brian, I'll do that tomorrow. Have you considered or do you know anyone who has put the Mass Air conversion on the 351w. I was just wondering if the cost would be justified by the HP and MPG gains. I put a K&N on the Lightning today. I built a cold air induction unit for the Cobra, but this mod on the lightning was a snap. The 9 inch filter was 40 @ Pep Boys, and the closet flange and male adapter were about 8bucks. In 15 minutes there was alot more flow and performance from the TB. Ask me what a closet flange is.

Brian Baskin

Established Member
LOL, I lucked out and bought a used K&N filtercharger for cheap. They want $125 for $50 worth of equipment, and I won't give them the satisfaction of my money :)

As far as mass air, yes, it could help... but not many people are using it. Kits run upwards of $1000, and really offer no big out-of-the-box improvements. I know a few guys with Kenne Bell s/cs that use Mass Air to improve their driveability. However, the best thing to do is stay with speed density, IMO. You can get custom ground cams for it, and purchase a "Tweecer" from Raymond here:
http://www.iwantperformance.net/
It's cheaper, and allows you to customize your vehicle on-the-fly.

Users who are viewing this thread